• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF vs JEC #6 Board 13

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-16, 00:43

NS vulnerable vs white, both tables reached to 3 NT from south uncontested. At both tables the lead was 2

Closed Room, when our south player took the lead in dummy and decided to play T, he was down at trick 2.

Open room, declarer JEC took the K and played a low to the Q, which was ducked by our West player (Gnasher) , leaving no misguess to JEC the contract was cold now at trick 2.

This was a -12 imps board. Both our west and south players choosed the wrong card at trick 2.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 02:10

When you play low to the queen you are pretty much committed to play the ace next. This wins against stiff KJ offside and Jx onside, while running the 10 now only wins against K9 offside, not close. So whether Andy played low or the king probably was completely irrelevant.

When walking to work this morning it seemed to me that running the 10 was the best play in isolation but I'll need to check it on paper before I'm confident that it's right.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-April-16, 04:00

View Posthan, on 2012-April-16, 02:10, said:

When you play low to the queen you are pretty much committed to play the ace next. This wins against stiff KJ offside and Jx onside, while running the 10 now only wins against K9 offside, not close. So whether Andy played low or the king probably was completely irrelevant.

When walking to work this morning it seemed to me that running the 10 was the best play in isolation but I'll need to check it on paper before I'm confident that it's right.

I think in isolation best way to take 3 tricks is to cash the Ace and then play small to the Q, which doesnt look convenient with the lack of dummy entries on this deal.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2012-April-17, 03:49

View PostMrAce, on 2012-April-16, 04:00, said:

I think in isolation best way to take 3 tricks is to cash the Ace and then play small to the Q, which doesnt look convenient with the lack of dummy entries on this deal.

Indeed, lack of entries is the main concern......
Best way to play, is to let run the 8.

It would be nice to know why Mr Lauria choose to play to the Q. Probable a combination with other chances, but above my simple mind.Posted Image

Bob Herreman

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-17, 16:54

Its also possible their declarer felt the dia T was the
right way but wanted to increase the likelihood of a swing
since they were pretty far behnd at this point I believe:)

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-April-17, 19:02

What was the auction? The S2 lead assuming it's fourth makes LHO more likely to have diamond length in which case a low diamond to the queen makes sense. Of course if the opps have bid all the other suits, this inference is lessened.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users