• You cannot reply to this topic

Diamonds over Spades BBF vs. JEC #6

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-15, 15:42

Your call?

I wanted to bid 3½ but the BBO software wouldn't let me. At the other table JEC's partner chose a call I wasn't seriously considering, I'll leave it to Gnan to tell you how that one turned out.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 16:33

2D. Might as well put in my usual minority choice early.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 16:41

2d nv overcall, pard is an unpassedhand.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 17:08

I find 3 obvious

#5 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 17:28

Thought you might bid 4 there with decent diamonds and the SK sitting over the 1S opener.

Like your double. I think that lead to a 3 IMP pickup for you when they got too high.

Thought gszes was going to make 3N here after the way he started in spades. That would have been cool.

Not your day when opps stop in 3N making and you get to 6S needing a normal break in spades and one of two missing honors onside and they're both offside.

Nice playing by you and gszes. You guys looked pretty poised for the parts of the match I kibbed.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 23:04

Thanks y66. The 6 is actually an interesting play problem probably worthy of its own thread.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-15, 23:28

It is a perfect 3 overcall to me, 3 describes the number of my diamonds, strength of my hand much better than 2 and it has preemptive effect on opponents. Sementa choosed 2 for whatever reason he had in his mind.

I make such 2/1 overcalls with 8 hcp too, a lot, but my reason is usually i have a 6 card suit that i dont want to jump to 3 level, or when pd is coming from pass. But i see this hand as close to perfect 3 overcall.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-16, 02:26

I would also bid 3D. I think that 2D is far less crazy than 4D though, which really is nuts in my opinion. Why is having K10x in their suit a reason to preempt one more? I would have thought it is the opposite.

Hand 1 I think Michael's double was bad, and entirely unrelated to the fact that the opponents got too high. If our opponents had doubled, my 2S call would have a ceiling of 7 HCP, and Andy could have doubled 3H as a game try double. I think we won IMPs there because gnasher's evaluation was better. It may have helped that we agreed on drury, so my 2S call here is about 5-8 (although we didn't discuss that explicitly).

Hand 2 the heart lead made it very tough of Gszec.

Hand 3 you did very well to get to 6S, unlucky. Please don't post the auction from our table.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 02:29

View Posthan, on 2012-April-16, 02:26, said:

Hand 1 I think Michael's double was bad,

I think I play too much matchpoints. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-16, 02:34

I think it is about equally bad at matchpoints.

However, I am not accustomed to a style in which south passes in third seat white against red. Given a partner that likes passing in third seat a lot, there is more to be said for your double.

- hrothgar

#11 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-April-16, 02:42

I thought hand 12 was interesting from my side (east) as well as Cayne's. Andy led a club to the 8 and 10. Declarer let the 9 of hearts run to me. Which honor should I win this with, and what should I return? I decided to play the heart 10 and return a spade. I saw an easy beat if Andy had the queen of spades and the AQ of clubs, and beating 3NT seemed likely impossible if partner did not have the queen of spades. It did give away the spade guess for declarer though.

After the spade to the 9 and the jack declarer could have made the contract by playing a club and guessing to pitch a heart. Instead declarer decided to try hearts, which meant that he was down.

Should declarer have made this at our table? Was the spade return right or lucky?

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users