Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

overcall on 4333 shape

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-12, 16:30

Why does it prefer overcall vs. takeout double? Is takeout double defined as doubleton- diamonds? I think takeout double is fine on 13+ 4333 if opening suit honors discounted.

#2 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-12, 17:01

Personally I prefer an overcall here. You're not really that interested in finding the perfect strain with partner having passed. Nothing disastrous is likely to happen and it serves a good lead directional purpose, where often your side won't be bidding again after a t/o double.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-12, 17:21

I strongly disagree. Strain is important, often worth a full trick, reasonably often the difference between making and minus 1. It is a disaster to play 1s -1 or 2s -1 when you can make something else.
1. Your hand is perfectly playable in hearts or clubs, or 1nt should partner bid them. If he does bid them, there won't be a spade fit, since with equal length he should bid higher first or cue depending on strength.
2. Lead direction is highly overrated. Reasonably often if you defend, you will be on lead not partner. And having kings in both outside suits, if partner does lead something else, it's not likely that you are really going to hate it. You might like it better than a spade, frankly, since kings often have to be led towards when opener has the ace, whereas with AK you can often lead it yourself after you get in.

#4 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-12, 20:02

i can live with the 1 overcall, but alot of people would double.
hey they didnt find their minor suit game

the only problem I find playing with GIB if I overcall this type of
hand he always bids a pre emptive raise or cue bid and we still end up
at 3 level down one usually.

#5 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-12, 20:21

I would double, I wont be trilled if p decides to sacrifice, which he will do a lot in these colours. Btw why on earth did W pass 4?

#6 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2012-April-13, 10:38

View PostStephen Tu, on 2012-April-12, 16:30, said:

Why does it prefer overcall vs. takeout double? Is takeout double defined as doubleton- diamonds? I think takeout double is fine on 13+ 4333 if opening suit honors discounted.

GIB 1 comes after simulation.

but to double North needs:

- 4-4 majors ( minor opening ) in case having 3 cards in the doubled suit as left 2 in the last unbid suit.
- 3+ cards in rest suits and 2- in the opening.
- strong own suit

so in the above case, GIB doesn't have 4-4 majors, so can't double. and after some consideration it come up with 1.

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 11:08

I think std expert practice is to dbl though, can this be adjusted on 4333? 4-4 majors isn't at all guaranteed with other shapes; requiring majors is to increase your upside to compensate for the downside risk of partner bidding the outside doubleton. Since you have support for all suits, you don't really need 4-4 majors, just compensating extra strength since no shape value. With 4333 you just need sounder high card values, (no light doubling on marginal 12 hcp etc.), and devalue quacks in the opening suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users