Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slow play with screens, 25.4.e-g

#1 User is offline   szgyula 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-15, 13:36

Screens are in use. A player takes a very long time to bid (2+ minutes). The complication is that it was his screen mate that called the TD (after the end of auction but before opening lead). The question: Did they automatically exclude any possible TD rectification (for UI) by calling the TD on the "wrong side of the screen"? One camp interpret the Condition of contest 25.4.e-g as an explicit exclusion, the other camp says that in this case the TD must examine very carefully if the delay was noticed on the other side of the screen, but there is no automatic exclusion only a higher barrier to establish UI. Who is right? Why?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-15, 16:53

Whose conditions of contest? WBF? Somebody else?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   szgyula 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 00:23

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-15, 16:53, said:

Whose conditions of contest? WBF? Somebody else?

WBF General Conditions of Contest, 2011, no additional local rules (related to screens or slow play).

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 01:17

"Shall not" is a very strong prohibition. IMO, that means not only that doing so is an infraction, it's one which should almost certainly draw a procedural penalty. That notwithstanding, the Director is required to rule on any irregularity of which he becomes aware, by any means (Law 81C3), so he still has to rule on the UI question. Also, I don't think the regulation places a "higher barrier" for determining UI, although clearly the TD will have to take into account that no one on the other side of the screen called him (CoC 25f and g) and so may well rule there was no UI. OTOH, two minutes is a pretty long time.

All that said, it's just my opinion, and I'm not a WBF TD.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   szgyula 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 01:55

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-16, 01:17, said:

"Shall not" is a very strong prohibition. IMO, that means not only that doing so is an infraction, it's one which should almost certainly draw a procedural penalty. That notwithstanding, the Director is required to rule on any irregularity of which he becomes aware, by any means (Law 81C3), so he still has to rule on the UI question. Also, I don't think the regulation places a "higher barrier" for determining UI, although clearly the TD will have to take into account that no one on the other side of the screen called him (CoC 25f and g) and so may well rule there was no UI. OTOH, two minutes is a pretty long time.

All that said, it's just my opinion, and I'm not a WBF TD.

Thanks, that is quite clear. On the first issue some more clarification: The 25.4.e says that the screenmate "shall not" draw attention. Does this apply only to the auction period (where calling the TD is UI in this case)? As mentioned in the original post, the player waited until the end of the auction and (they ended up as declarer) THEN called the TD. Thus, there was not UI in the TD call itself (in this case).

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-16, 02:12

It's quite clear that there is no automatic exclusion:

WBF CoC 25.4g said:

Failure to do as (f) provides may persuade the Director it was the partner who drew attention to the break in tempo. If so he may well rule there was no perceived delay and thus no unauthorised information.

In this case the Director will certainly be persuaded that it was the partner who drew attention to the break in tempo, so the second sentence applies. "May well" doesn't mean "will".

The obvious thing for the director to do is to ask the people on the other side of the screen if they noticed a delay. If all four players agree that there was a tempo break, of course the director should rule on the basis that there was one.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users