BBO Discussion Forums: The Egyptian Spring? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Egyptian Spring?

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-30, 16:04

One of the blogs that I occasionally read is Butterflies and Wheels, by Ophelia Benson. She recently posted that she had been led to believe that the Egyptian parliament, in which by far the largest party is the Muslim Brotherhood, and there are other islamic parties, is debating a law that would make it legal for a man to have sex with his dead wife, so long as he has the sex within the first 6 hours following death.

Now, I already knew enough about islam (and not merely from reading anti-islamic writers, but from reading...in translation....some of the Koran and some of the writings of Islamists)to know that they are stuck in the 13th century in their attitude towards women but this struck me as particularly odious and revealing.

And this comes from a country with, supposedly, one of the more secular cultures in the arab world. Googling suggests that this is for real, and is part of an omnibus law intended to deprive women of rights to education and employment. It does make you wonder about the motives of whoever came up with this bright idea.

I'm not, for a moment, suggesting that preserving the former regime (which I doubt could have been done) would be better, but this is depressing.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 16:20

View Postmikeh, on 2012-April-30, 16:04, said:

One of the blogs that I occasionally read is Butterflies and Wheels, by Ophelia Benson. She recently posted that she had been led to believe that the Egyptian parliament, in which by far the largest party is the Muslim Brotherhood, and there are other islamic parties, is debating a law that would make it legal for a man to have sex with his dead wife, so long as he has the sex within the first 6 hours following death.

Now, I already knew enough about islam (and not merely from reading anti-islamic writers, but from reading...in translation....some of the Koran and some of the writings of Islamists)to know that they are stuck in the 13th century in their attitude towards women but this struck me as particularly odious and revealing.

And this comes from a country with, supposedly, one of the more secular cultures in the arab world. Googling suggests that this is for real, and is part of an omnibus law intended to deprive women of rights to education and employment. It does make you wonder about the motives of whoever came up with this bright idea.

I'm not, for a moment, suggesting that preserving the former regime (which I doubt could have been done) would be better, but this is depressing.

Are you even sure that necrophilia is illegal in the US? Apparently it is only illegal in 21 states in the US according to wikipedia, although I have never found it particularly reliable for stuff like this.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 16:48

Don't make a habit of believing random blogs on the internet, particularly when they claim something particularly outrageous, without searching for confirmation and debunking. http://www.csmonitor...oey-utter-hooey

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-April-30, 17:10

I find it troubling and revealing that Mike has that much in the way of specific knowledge about US necrophilia law. I personally have not had the need to know. LOL
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-30, 17:27

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-April-30, 17:10, said:

I find it troubling and revealing that Mike has that much in the way of specific knowledge about US necrophilia law. I personally have not had the need to know. LOL

Where did I speak about US law?

I'm not an American. And have never professed to be one, nor to know about US law.

I do know that necrophilia is illegal in Canada (I think but neither know nor can be bothered to look up that it falls under the criminal prohibition about inflicting indignities upon a corpse..a typical example being setting fire to it).

However, I am embarrassed to concede that I seem to have been too credulous....along with large segments of Western Media...turns out that the notion that this law was being proposed seems to have come from a column in a government controlled newspaper, written by a supporter of the former regime, and thus presumably intended to do just what it did.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-April-30, 17:54

This brought to mind Dorothy Parker's reported comment when she was told that Calvin Coolidge had died: "How could they tell?"

I'm with KenR on this. A law that states whether I can or cannot have sex with a dead woman would be pretty much superfluous.
Ken

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-April-30, 18:05

Sorry, Mike. I was reading on my phone and misunderstood who was saying what. It turns out Phil is the one to worry about.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 21:22

The proposed law extends to women as well but that's a moot point and a limp excuse.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-April-30, 22:06

View PostStephen Tu, on 2012-April-30, 16:48, said:

Don't make a habit of believing random blogs on the internet, particularly when they claim something particularly outrageous, without searching for confirmation and debunking. http://www.csmonitor...oey-utter-hooey

:P I am of the opinion that the Christian Science Monitor blog you reference is probably correct in its conclusions, but its author has done no fact checking and offers only the merest unsubstantiated opinion. I guess when you know you are right, irony is not relevant.

What makes me highly skeptical is that as far as I know, there is no basis or antecedent in religious texts for the "six hour rule". Where did it come from?

"Rigor mortis (Latin meaning "stiffness of death") is one of the recognizable signs of death that is caused by a chemical change in the muscles after death, causing the limbs of the corpse to become stiff and difficult to move or manipulate.[1] In humans, it commences after about three to four hours, reaches maximum stiffness after 12 hours"

I would think something like a "four hour rule" would make better scientific sense.

#10 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-May-01, 00:18

Given the fairly strict Islamic rules on handling corpses, I suspect that this is completely preposterous.

#11 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 05:39

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-April-30, 18:05, said:

Sorry, Mike. I was reading on my phone and misunderstood who was saying what. It turns out Phil is the one to worry about.

I enjoy obscure trivia. Especially obscure trivia which makes the US look ridiculous.

Also, I never pass up a chance to wind up Mikeh.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#12 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-May-01, 06:59

From the CSM article I gather that this all involves some bizarre statements made by religious crazies, cranked up by political opportunists. Thank God we don't have any people like that in this country!
Ken

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-May-02, 05:28

Googling stuff you get in your inbox can be quite depressing :( snopes.com destroys all magic in the world :(
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users