BBO Discussion Forums: Whats going on ? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats going on ?

#21 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-28, 09:29

Off-topic, but this hand got me to thinking about a drawback to my current methods, in which the double of 1 shows 4+ spades, which allows for 1 to be the unbiddable hand.....say you hold Kxx xxx KQxxx Jx....what do you bid over 1?

I really like this method, but it occurred to me, on reading this thread, that reopening 4 on 4 is impossible.....since we could easily have 5 and even 6....although we use 2 as 6+ invitational, so that holding is out.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-March-28, 11:13

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-28, 09:29, said:

Off-topic, but this hand got me to thinking about a drawback to my current methods, in which the double of 1 shows 4+ spades, which allows for 1 to be the unbiddable hand.....say you hold Kxx xxx KQxxx Jx....what do you bid over 1?

I really like this method, but it occurred to me, on reading this thread, that reopening 4 on 4 is impossible.....since we could easily have 5 and even 6....although we use 2 as 6+ invitational, so that holding is out.

You need to quit playing that esoteric nonsense. I keep telling you tha!
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#23 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-March-28, 12:48

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-March-28, 11:13, said:

You need to quit playing that esoteric nonsense. I keep telling you tha!

That is funny, even without the final "t"!

#24 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-28, 12:56

IMO any hand with 4S will balance with 4S, its a expert standard Imo that denying a 5 cd suit and bidding it is takeout.

1Nt--(P)--P--(2D)
P---(p)--??

2H is takeout, X is dsip or penalty.

So for me cannot have 4S hes either 3064 or slammish with clubs. For frequency i prefer slammish with clubs but my default agreement lead me to take it as 3064.

Of course this is off if the X show 4 or more S (my fav method)
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#25 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-28, 18:07

View Postbenlessard, on 2012-March-28, 12:56, said:

1Nt--(P)--P--(2D)
P---(p)--??

2H is takeout, X is dsip or penalty.

I would take X as takeout, 2H as hearts and another place to play (generally either 4-4 majors or 4 hearts - 5 clubs).
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#26 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 10:03

[skip]double of 1 shows 4+ spades[skip]

Without wanting to sound like I play bridge at your level, I think this method is seriously flawed and you would do well to change it. It's too wide ranging in terms of spade length and strength, and that will hurt you in many other competitive auctions as well.

There have been plenty of alternatives posted here on the forums in which double shows 4-5 spades, or perhaps 4-5 spade but not strong with 5. Most of those methods use 2H for hands with 6+ spades (and perhaps strong with 5) and some also use 2S as 6+ spades to further distinguish between long spade hands in terms of strength.

Personally I think that using double, 2H and 2S all for showing various spade hands is best, but I couldn't convince my partner so we play that 2H shows any hand with 6+ spades and 2S is the raise of opener's minor, leaving double with any 4-5 spades. In my view that's still a major improvement over double showing 4+ spades.

Now, in the current auction responder playing our methods could double and then bid 4S with 5 spades but not with 4, so that's still a loss compared to standard methods. Hence I think that playing our methods 4NT would indeed show a 4-0-6-3 shape or the like.

An advantage of our methods is that a balance with 4S would show exactly 5 spades, in what must necessarily be a distributional hand. So opener may convert to 4NT or 5C without spade support.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users