• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Enough points but awkward bid RHO preempts a weak 2d

#1 User is offline   Gazumper 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-22, 20:53

Q lead.

Couldn't decide what to bid after the weak 2 preempt, GIB was my partner and 2S apparently showed 5+ spades and it leapt to 4. A takeout double I presumed would show tolerance for all suits but I only had 2 hearts. Any advice on this one?

4 would have made easily and 4 always goes down one with best defense I think.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-22, 21:20

I would say your options are pass and 2NT. I would bid 2NT facing GIB, since it doesn't understand balancing very well, and pass facing a human.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 10:50

Agree that the options are pass and 2NT. (Playing with a human) It's very close to 2NT but I'd probably pass, the main reason being only 1 diamond stop.

You certainly can't bid 2S because that promises a 5-card suit.

Having said that, on the hand given, if you pass South may raise to 4D and things get difficult. I still think partner would bid 4H with his 6-4 though.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-23, 11:07

View PostGazumper, on 2012-March-22, 20:53, said:

4 would have made easily and 4 always goes down one with best defense I think.

Goes down 2 with best defense. Click on the [GIB] button in your diagram.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-March-23, 14:17

A simple question -- What best describes my hand? -- often works well in these situations.

Your hand has 15 HCP, 2 1/2 QTs and a diamond stopper. So 2 NT stands out as your bid.

Double is out because of the doubleton heart. If partner bids 2 over your double, you just won't know what to do. Better to avoid that trap and you did.

The other option is pass, but your side may never recover if you do, especially if South raises to 3 .

At the table, I'd certainly squim a little before making the 2 NT call, but still make it.

Anyhow, partner easily has a 4 call once you make the 2 NT bid. If partner had other hands, the 2 NT call would probably help most in making the right decisions whatever the opponents do.

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-23, 16:51

View Postrmnka447, on 2012-March-23, 14:17, said:

Anyhow, partner easily has a 4 call once you make the 2 NT bid.

Unless that happens to be a transfer to spades.

By the way, if you feel the need to squirm, make sure noone notices, especially not your partner.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 01:55

View Postrmnka447, on 2012-March-23, 14:17, said:

At the table, I'd certainly squim a little before making the 2 NT call, but still make it.

Anyhow, partner easily has a 4 call once you make the 2 NT bid. If partner had other hands, the 2 NT call would probably help most in making the right decisions whatever the opponents do.

If you squirmed with me before bidding 2NT I would most certainly be looking for slam with the West hand rather than simply bidding 4. Of course if your partner accepts a squirm to show a minimum then squirm-2NT is a perfect description of the hand.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users