Posted 2012-March-24, 03:16

Dealer W who opens 2 explained as acol 8 playing tricks
N doubles
E bids 4 (weak aceless raise)
S bids 4
W passes
N bids 6

W leads 6

You know the W player, and know that he plays a multi in every partnership other than this one.

Take it from here.

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-24, 03:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-March-24, 03:16, said:

Dealer W who opens 2 explained as acol 8 playing tricks

Sorry, what does this mean? Is it a diamond oriented hand with 8 tricks? Is it any hand (perhaps some suit or NT) with 8 tricks?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 03:34

Oh, and there's no way this has anything to do with your other post about obligations...right? ;)
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 03:51

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-March-24, 03:34, said:

Oh, and there's no way this has anything to do with your other post about obligations...right? ;)

This has everything to do with that, but is still an interesting play problem if you don't actually look at the hand posted there. But you can assume that W has forgotten that he doesn't play a multi in this partnership and has a weak 2 in spades, but to make sense of E's 4, you have to realise that he's responding to an acol 2, ie a decent hand of opening strength plus that expects to make 8 tricks opposite a yarborough with xx.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 13:43

I finesse at trick one, because that allows me to take a safety play in trumps.

J, K, to the 8 unless East plays an honour. If hearts are 3-2, I have twelve tricks including one club ruff. If East has QJxx and doesn't split, I cash a third heart, then cash my winners and eventually ruff a club.

If East splits from QJxx, I win, then play AK, A, Q throwing a club, club ruff, reaching this position:

East has Q6 left.
I lead dummy's top spades, planning to throw two clubs. Assuming that East was 1444, 1453 or 1435, it doesn't matter what he does - if he ruffs the first spade low I overruff, ruff a club (to which he will follow), and lead the other top spade; if he discards on the first spade and ruffs the second spade low, I overruff and ruff my last club; if he never ruffs I have a crossruff.

This line fails if the shapes are 6115-1462. I'll know about this after the second round of diamonds, but I haven't yet decided what I'd do about it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users