BBO Discussion Forums: Agreements over sandwich double - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Agreements over sandwich double 1m-1M(X)?

#1 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-March-19, 05:58

I am interested in suggestions for agreements/methods on the auction 1m-(P)-1M-(X)-?
This is in the context of weak NT, 4cM openings.

In particular, if suit bids are natural, what is the best meaning for Pass, XX, 1NT, 2NT?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-March-19, 07:20

I play a support redouble over the double. But that is in the context of a 5 card major system. Having not played a 4 card major system in some years, I don't know the various implications of the failure to open a 4 card major and whether that would affect my choice of a support redouble here.

I don't see what bearing the double has on the 1NT and 2NT rebids.

As for pass, if one is playing a support redouble, the pass shows the inability to make any other call, thereby denying 3 or 4 card support and denying the ability to make any other constructive call.

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-19, 08:35

I would say standard is what Art wrote, a support redouble and pass to say nothing special, but in a weak NT context there is something to be said for a support pass and transfers (XX = spades, 1 = clubs, 2 = diamonds) here I would think.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-19, 08:46

I'm not a big fan of support redoubles (I am a fan of support doubles). RHO promised two suits, we can use cues. You can play something like (I am partly making this up on the spot because of weak NT, bear with me):

3M: semi-preemptive (minimum but concentrated 5-4 or 6-4 in your minor/partner's major). This means that:
2oM: good raise, the equivalent of 3M without the double, perhaps you should also include the strong NT hands here with 4 card support.
2M: normal raise, perhaps makes sense to include some 3-card unbalanced along with ugly unbalanced 4-card raise hands here.
1NT: 1NT rebid with 3 card support
xx: any strong hand that does not fit above, either a 1NT rebid with only a doubleton, or a natural reverse (remember 2oM we used up for raises).
pass: what it sounds like.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users