Re-double of major with a void?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-March-11, 09:00

IMPs, W v R

1M (X) XX

I think it falls in to GBK that the redouble specifically denies support and about 10+ HCP but is it acceptable to redouble with something like 0445 and about 11 points?

It came up in the MBC and I just wondered if the redouble should promise any holding in the major at all.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-11, 10:03

IMO, if the redouble of 1MX is used in the traditional "denies fit" way ---as seems to be what the OP is asking, a void in the major opened must be a possibility and could be done with the 0-4-4-5 eleven count, in addition to other patterns ---like game-forcing one-suiters.

It seems necessary without other gadgets over the double....which I hope this thread won't hijack into.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 11:10

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-11, 10:03, said:

IMO, if the redouble of 1MX is used in the traditional "denies fit" way ---as seems to be what the OP is asking, a void in the major opened must be a possibility and could be done with the 0-4-4-5 eleven count, in addition to other patterns ---like game-forcing one-suiters.

It seems necessary without other gadgets over the double....which I hope this thread won't hijack into.

Here is my opinion of this situation. The traditional view is that redouble should be used on this hand with 10+ HCP regardless of fit. The modern view, in my understanding, is that it denies a fit and suggests doubling them for penalty whenever possible. With no fit for partner's suit, there might be a killing to be had in defense of any contract by them, without a making game on for our side.

The modern treatment of course is to have a gadget to show a strong hand with a fit, such as the Jordan 2nt convention. That way you can differentiate between strength with a fit (2NT) and strength without a fit (XX).

If the auction reveals later that you have a secondary fit, then of course you should go after your own contract rather than defending.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-11, 11:36

The shorter, the better.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 15:25

View Postgwnn, on 2012-March-11, 11:36, said:

The shorter, the better.

That's good to know. I haven't read any analysis on this subject just the odd comment and that's what I figured out when faced with the problem.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 16:17

I have had problems over time with partners that redouble on the min values instead of bidding a proper 1nt or 2x.

The redouble MUST desire to punish (at least) a couple of things but it's just my chosen style and not necessarily best, ie. a game forcing 1 suiter may have no other forcing entry into the auction for some but my 2 level new suit is forcing.

Still, IMO redoubling instead of bidding 1nt or 2x constructive is a common failing.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 17:17

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-March-11, 16:17, said:

I have had problems over time with partners that redouble on the min values instead of bidding a proper 1nt or 2x.

The redouble MUST desire to punish (at least) a couple of things but it's just my chosen style and not necessarily best, ie. a game forcing 1 suiter may have no other forcing entry into the auction for some but my 2 level new suit is forcing.

Still, IMO redoubling instead of bidding 1nt or 2x constructive is a common failing.

I agree with ggwhiz on this entirely. One of my favorite scenarios is when I'm in 4th seat with the auction 1M-X-XX to me, and I'm sitting there with the other major and a decent hand (say, 6-10 HCP).

This tells me unequivocally that the redouble was (most incorrectly) based on a fit and a minimum response, not a strong response with no fit.

A very common result of this incorrect redouble is that opener doubles us for penalty in our best suit holding AKx, thinking the defense will be murder. And we waltz home with a game contract at the 2 level when they were cold for 4 of their major. This kind of thing happens all the time, and 99% of the ATB goes to the redoubler.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#8 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-11, 22:45

So playing 1xx with a 5-0 fit is a good idea?

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-11, 22:51

View PostCharlie Yu, on 2012-March-11, 22:45, said:

probably. But don't be silly. Only old fashioned folks like us would pass out the redouble, because partner didn't choose to take out.

#10 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-11, 23:00

View PostCharlie Yu, on 2012-March-11, 22:45, said:

Yep, a huge game bonus awaits if we make...
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 06:30

View PostStatto, on 2012-March-11, 23:00, said:

Yep, a huge game bonus awaits if we make...

As it happened partner had AKxxxx for a very nice 12 IMPS.

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 09:21

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-11, 22:51, said:

probably. But don't be silly. Only old fashioned folks like us would pass out the redouble, because partner didn't choose to take out.

Hand #3 from It's Your Call in January makes yours the more modern treatment. Perhaps people are redoubling on more marginal hands these days.

http://www.cs.sfu.ca...eq=58&alt=c.pck

BTW, The above is a fun addition to It's Your Call run out of Vancouver.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-12, 11:14

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-March-12, 09:21, said:

Hand #3 from It's Your Call in January makes yours the more modern treatment. Perhaps people are redoubling on more marginal hands these days.

http://www.cs.sfu.ca...eq=58&alt=c.pck

BTW, The above is a fun addition to It's Your Call run out of Vancouver.

That, and the same one in the ACBL Bulletin recently, involves a passed-hand balancing double. The one who is leaving in the redouble is sitting behind the opener (who redoubled his own opening 1H bid.

P (1H) P (P)
X (XX) P!.....was the "It's your Call" situation. Expert consensus, the pass is to play.

However:
(1S) X (XX) P!.....where I doubt one pair in fifty would agree the pass is to play. Pard and I are pretty much alone on that one.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users