BBO Discussion Forums: Improvements to auction, please! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Improvements to auction, please! EBU Stratified Simultaneous Pairs 12 March 2012 Hand 9

#1 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-12, 18:37

We had the following hand tonight (matchpoints):

The standard was intermediate club bridge; not especially high. N will have 6 for the weak 2, and S will almost certainly have 3 for the raise, so on the second round E knows W is likely to be void.

The result was not a great success, as both 7 and 7NT are on (K is with N, and, if playing 7, ruffing the 3rd round of works too - though N is doubleton, S has 10). 6 makes too, but not 7 (N has K 10 3).

Any thoughts? In particular, please, your views on (1) X rather than 2 by E on first round, and (2) E's best action after W's 4?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-12, 19:05

View PostPeterAlan, on 2012-March-12, 18:37, said:

Any thoughts?

West has a real monster, 5 and/or 4 may be better bids than 4.

In particular, please, your views on (1) X rather than 2 by E on first round,

Well, since you asked, I think it would be very silly.

and (2) E's best action after W's 4?

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 19:12

Dislike X at turn 1 a lot. Think 2NT is the only other bid I would consider. Actually not really sure which one I like better. 2NT is better with point count and the spade suit is so blegh. But it distorts your shape.

After 2S I would be trying for 6, and 4 looks forcing and we have 7 solid ones, though 4 showing a good spade raise is okay too.

Edit: Whoah A+A+A+K is not 18 points, like 2NT less now though still think it's not completely crazy.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#4 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 19:13

I wouldn't X here as I have only interest in and rebidding NT would promise more points than I have to partner, so 2s is fine, even though the suit is only Axxxx

In my world, 4d is forcing and a good suit fit for (Fit non Jump) so East would get very excited, use Keycard find out that your missing 1 and settle for the small slam.

Assuming that 4d isn't a fnj, I'd bid 4h as a cue agreeing D as partner is not free bidding a 5 card suit so we have a D fit, he has a monster now, 17 count, void, QJx in my overcalled suit!!!
And even though I've cued his void he should still use 4nt (blackwood) find out about the 3 controls, bid 5nt for kings hear 1 and then I'd bid 7nt expecting the Ks 90% of the time. 5 spades 7 diamonds and 2 aces for 14 tricks thanks!
I say 90% as I expect them to have between there 9 cards 1 of the AK and partner to overcall AKxxx more often than not.

When it's not the KS then grand is on a hook (or a squeeze).

#5 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-12, 19:43

West should press on after 5, probably with 5, though agree 5 is a bit limp with all those prime cards.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 19:55

Mgoetze has it. If my partner overcalled 2S....and I know she isn't short there, I also know the overcall is a good one.

Nothing could get me to stop short of slam with the west cards.

This is all on West.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-12, 23:18

I expect 2S--5H--5S--6D
2S is normal, west should have bid 5H exclusion, when you have a void, you often just have one opportunity to show it. Over wich East bid 5S (bad hand) and now 6D by West (to play, since we play 5Nt PAS) now I think East can visualize that the AK of H might be useful to pitch a slow loser in S and raise to 7 hoping west doesnt have Qxxx,void,AKQJTx,Kxx.

I strongly suggest to play that responding to exclusion is return to trump suit = Bad other are KRC responses. Asking about general strenght is much more important than the number of keycards.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 03:05

View Postbenlessard, on 2012-March-12, 23:18, said:

I strongly suggest to play that responding to exclusion is return to trump suit = Bad other are KRC responses. Asking about general strenght is much more important than the number of keycards.

This is a variation on my 4m treatment. I think bidding the first step with a minimum and other steps as key cards works better than the trump suit showing the minimum, otherwise you are stuck when you need to know the key cards even opposite a minmum. I would want to see some good evidence that this is a good treatment before using it over Exclusion-type bids though since the space is already so compressed.

On the hand itself West looks to be closer to 7 than passing 5. This is an unbelievably gross underbid.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-13, 05:03

2 looks obvious.
4 is forcing, surely not weaker then 5 but it does not make bidding more easy.I guess that 4 is much better and 5 the best bid if this is exclusion and if you play 1430.
5 was a quite pessimistic view with such nice controls.
To pass 5 must be wrong. Even if you do not reach slam, it must be better to play in the major fit. So even if you are in a depressive mood, bid 5 . But slam must be reasonable.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#10 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 13:30

You have to start by asking what is a minimum hand for the 2 call. For most experts I think the actual East hand is quite close to minimum. It has good controls but a poor spade suit. If you change it to Axxxx AKxx xx Qx then it is a pass or at best a very marginal 2. When opponents preempt your bids are always constructive, nothing like the sort of hands that might overcall 1 over 1. Certainly doubling then bidding spades would be a lot stronger than this hand.

I agree with the answers above but they have to be understood on the basis that 2 already shows a decent hand, better than a minimum 1 opening bid.

#11 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-13, 23:51

This is a variation on my 4m treatment. I think bidding the first step with a minimum and other steps as key cards works better than the trump suit showing the minimum, otherwise you are stuck when you need to know the key cards even opposite a minmum. I would want to see some good evidence that this is a good treatment before using it over Exclusion-type bids though since the space is already so compressed.

Agree when you have space in front of you the first step should be minimum. However for void showing bids in competition you rarely have space available. Here the vast majority of players would use 5H as void showing. So keeping this premise what is the most useful use for 5H... hands where you want to bid 6 and may think 7 is there according to the number of keycards(traditionnal exclusion) or hands that you are looking for 6 but like to be able to stop at 5 if partner has wasted values, while still keeping the ability to get to 7 if partner like his hand. For me this is a no brainer, 5 or 6 hands are just way more likely than 6 or 7 hands. For me a void doesnt just mean that your ace in that suit doesnt count, it mean that all values in this suit are mostly wasted.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users