BBO Discussion Forums: redouble agreements - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

redouble agreements preempts / trap pass

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-12, 22:05

We had 2 XX cases tonight, what is your agreements here.

V/nv
(1H)-2C-(P)-2S
(P)-3C-(X)-XX

V/V
(1C)-P-(1D)-3S
(X)-XX
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-12, 22:55

As a rule for my partnership undiscussed XXes (exceptions that had been discussed: e.g. after X of transfer over 1N, etc) of partscores are never to play if any escape is still possible. In 1) an escape is definitely possible, though it'd depend on how you play 2S. I'd assume XX=6340 or the like and too light for a normal 2S, but wanted to try and get out somewhere. 2) looks like to play to me...

#3 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-12, 23:52

My preferred agreement is that pass of a redouble above one of a suit is to play, i.e. a hand that would have passed the double. If you would not have passed the double (without the redouble), you have to bid something.

#4 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-13, 01:03

View Postbenlessard, on 2012-March-12, 22:05, said:

We had 2 XX cases tonight, what is your agreements here.
V/nv
(1H)-2C-(P)-2S
(P)-3C-(X)-XX
V/V
(1C)-P-(1D)-3S
(X)-XX

1. Pure SOS (although a very dangerous bid)
2. Penalty, inviting 4.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 03:03

My general thoughts about redouble are that they are the ones screwing around, I am real.

Not sure if that clarifies in these situations, but that is what we have to work with.

(1)=my 2S bid was very good in terms of strength, tolerant of your club rebid.
(2)=does not exist. Not a Rosencranz situation.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-13, 04:55

Both XX are for business. Playing them as SOS is beyond me. Partner rebids his clubs without any sign of fit and I will tell him that he makes a mistake? Never.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-13, 09:21

View PostCodo, on 2012-March-13, 04:55, said:

Both XX are for business. Playing them as SOS is beyond me. Partner rebids his clubs without any sign of fit and I will tell him that he makes a mistake? Never.

1. In the first example, the doubler probably had a penalty double of 2, and is now doubling 3! Furthermore (especially if 2 was forcing), the 3 bidder may have an awkward rebid. Redouble has to be, "lets play something else" and it has very little utility as business.

2. I have never seen this auction at the table, but I would agree this one is business. It makes little sense for responder to try to get to an alternative strain this way.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-13, 21:30

My question about the 1st is checking if most play that 3D is 5/5 and xx is 64 (or vice versa). IMO to play that 3D show better D and XX show better spades also make sense. Because I think 55,65,56 are going to be way more likely than a 6340 (a hand that its not even clear if its best to XX with).

If you play 3D show better D and xx show better S(or vice versa) when 22 or 11 vs 65/55/56 you will get to the best contract however when 23/12 vs 64 you are going to play in 43/42 rather than 62/61.

If you play that XX is 64 and 3D is 55 (or vice versa) when overcaller is 22/11 and you are 65/55/56 you are going to be in the worse partscore 50% of the times. Of course sometimes both 52 fit will produce the same result and sometimes both S/D are equal. On this hand 3S in 52 fit was -2 while 3D in a 61 was making (and doubled at the other table :( )

For the 2nd hand is the XX inviting partner to bid 4S or more like a lead directing ? Ive XX hoping partner can doubled 4 something with a singleton and 2/3 trumps or extras defense. (IMO hes going to have a stiff very often and if this stiff is not trumps they are sure to go down and can easily go for -2/-3) Against 3NT it will force him to lead S wich is also a good thing.
hands like ...
Ajx
QJT9
Ax
xxx

xxx
AT9x
Ax
Kxxx

If they play 4D and partner can lead a stiff C or H on a good day we are going to make 3 ace and 2 ruff (and maybe the K of clubs).Of course there is some danger that 3S is going down (if they pass !) but its only -400 rather than -200 so its a fair gamble imo. The way ive learned it business XX invite partner to make a penalty X.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users