Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help, Looking for an answer

#1 User is offline   lagpan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-06, 16:14

I am fairly new to BBO and this may not be in the right section.
I was playing in a tournament game with 3 robots and this happened in one of the hands:
North: S-10853 H-J3 D-J9542 C-Q7
South: S-K H-A875 D-AK87 C-J1094
Bidding: E:1NT S:2D N:2S S:2NT N:4S
Result: 4 Down for the last palce for that hand (0% in MP scoring)
Is 2NT bid wrong? What encouraged the robot to be so aggressive?
How should I have bid to be finally playing in 2NT or 3D. In the tables where the contract was 3D (which was made), south passed in the 1st round and joined the bidding in the 2nd round and N bid 3D. My profile states I play SAYC, if that makes a difference. Thank you for your time and help. -- Al (User name: lagpan)

#2 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-06, 17:15

GIB (the robot) plays Cappelletti so 2 would be conventional showing both majors. I'm not sure what 2NT should mean in this context, but I guess GIB took it as a distributional slam try and bid 4 to show no interest in slam.

The full GIB system is here. GIB only plays that, regardless of what is on your profile.

Even if playing natural over 1NT, I would never overcall on a 4-card suit. As you're not quite strong enough to double, the best action is to pass - you have some chance of defeating 1NT anyway, and partner may still be able to act with a good suit.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-March-06, 23:43

Here is a link to the gib (robot) bidding method. gib convention card

As noted by Statto, your 2 bid showed a major two suiter (gib only bids his convention card) and north tried to stop in 2. Your 2NT bid does not mean you don't have spades (to the robot), but that you have a powerful hand with spades and hearts. I think if I was the north robot, I would have retreated to 3, but that is hardly any better.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   lagpan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-07, 14:01

Thank you both for your replies. This is what I was looking for. i.e. robot's interpretation of my bid(s). I will read up on that bidding system before playing further with the robots. I thought the robots understood all the major systems and I was wrong. I know better now. Thanks again. -- Al

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-March-07, 14:41

You can always check on the meaning of a bid by hovering over the bid before you make it. In other words, instead of bidding 2, click on the "2" and then put your pointer to the symbol and wait for the system to give you an explanation of that call.

You can also find out what any of the previous bids meant by hovering over the made bids with your mouse pointer.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users