BBO Discussion Forums: Are you a scientist or blastologist? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are you a scientist or blastologist?

Poll: Are you a scientist or blastologist? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of South's 3NT bid?

1. A reasonable blast that didn't work this time. Why tell them how to defend? (22 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. An unreasonable gamble. This is why man invented science. (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

3. Dumb (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. My answer depends on North's spade holding. (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-23, 11:32

Ok, lets assume you want to be scientific and are also playing in a new-ish partnership. You bid 2 and your partner bids 2. Your options are now:

2 - sounds like some sort of natural-ish spade holding. We play an immediate 2 would have been natural and forcing
3 - sounds passable
3 - sounds like you are looking for a diamond stopper
3 - you didn't immediately splinter ... is this asking for a spade stopper? Would you ever do this if it wasn't discussed?

I guess you are stuck with 3 hoping for a 3 bid if he has a card. Seems like alot to hope for.

I knew our partnership wasn't on firm ground for finding a spade stopper, so I blasted ... Is there an "expert standard" agreement regarding unbid suits after the opponents have bid? I'm not looking for any obscure homemade conventions .. just "expert standard" thoughts about this auction.

Thanks!
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-23, 11:51

Bidding 3NT seems reasonable and a bit unlucky.

With that said, over 2 and 2 from partner, I'm not convinced that 2 should show spades. After all, we could've bid 2 initially with five spades, and we're not going to have a fit in spades with four spades after partner has bid two suits. It could be control showing (i.e. values in spades) but it seems weird for both 2 and 3 in this auction to be effectively "asking about a diamond card." Perhaps the rule of two unbid suits should apply (partner has bid both round suits, and opener's diamond bid is not always much of a suit) and 2/3 should both show a control in that suit. Then we could bid 2...3 and partner would know spades are a potential problem and perhaps get us to 5.

Another possible auction is to bid 2...2NT. This should be forcing to game (an initial 2NT would invite; the cue followed by anything but 3 should be forcing). Over this partner can bid 3 (really should be shortness/concern about spades; he cannot have a spade "suit" after bidding two other suits and 3 is a cleaner start to a cuebidding auction at this point).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 12:01

No rush, just start with 2 and get the 2 response. That doesn't set a game force yet (showed limit plus for clubs). Now a 3 bid sets the game force and partner will show a spade stop if they have it.

In similar auctions, the slower route to 3nt shows doubt, when you blast into it you mean it with a few exceptions, ie 5 is not an option.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-23, 12:29

Why not just bid 2 followed by 3? This clearly shows a strong club raise. If partner cannot act over this, then 3 is probably fine. If partner needs a diamond stop for 3NT, he can bid 3.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 12:36

View PostArtK78, on 2012-February-23, 12:29, said:

Why not just bid 2 followed by 3? This clearly shows a strong club raise. If partner cannot act over this, then 3 is probably fine. If partner needs a diamond stop for 3NT, he can bid 3.

That would be a good plan if South doesn't want to insist on game, since 2D, then 3C is passable. This one is close, but I think I want to be in game...3NT or 5C opposite an overcall by MY partner.

Would probably go with Adam's nebulous 2S over 2H, then raise partner's 3C to 5.

BTW: 2D always has a club fit in my world.
ABTW: Blasting isn't always a bad thing, I just wouldn't on this hand.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2012-February-23, 12:58

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 16:48

A reasonable but unlucky blast in the context of a new partnership. Could have worked on a spade lead even without a spade stopper if North had 3 small spades, and there is no cosmic guarantee they lead spades. So 3NT makes whenever it's make-able and some of the time when it isn't. But I would try science on this one if we had appropriate agreements.

#7 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-February-23, 17:55

Blastologist is the best word. I'd try 2D as a good raise as well, it's got to be forcing, I actually have a good raise and partner might do something that helps me out.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-23, 18:43

Lots of meat on these bones.

I don't like 3N. Our diamonds are paradoxically too long and too strong. This holding makes it very likely that LHO won't lead diamonds....his suit is weak and probably relatively short. This in turn increases the likelihood of a major suit, and (since we have 2 spades and 3 hearts) he'll lead spades slightly more often than hearts, altho either major could be a killer.

In addition, many players will stretch a little to bid 2 over a 1 opener, hence we need to hold back a little here, compared to say [1] 2 where overcaller is more likely to hold full values.

Finally, most good players will tend to raise 2N to 3N aggressively if they hold 6+ clubs, and, since our diamond suit isn't likely to be readily establishable, we probably need 6 clubs or a full opening hand to make game.

Thus, if I were to bid notrump immediately, it would be 2N.

The alternative is 2, at least in the posted methods. For what it may be worth, I think transfers are a better idea, but they don't 'solve' this hand.

Over 2. my spade holding scares me. What would 2 mean?

I think it ought to be natural, forcing for one round, and showing a 4 card holding.

We won't have 5+, since we bid 2 with that, not 2.

To those who respond that we don't need to check back for spades, my reply is that you should learn to appreciate the power of moysian major suit fits.

So I'd have to choose between 2N and 3.

The problem is that I think both of these calls are forcing! 3 more or less has to be.....how else do we establish a forcing club sequence?

And 2N....if we had an invitational hand, we'd have bid 2N earlier.

All of this brings me back to my original choice of 2N.

I may be being guilty of double dummy thinking, but in my view N should pull 2N to 3. S's hand is maximum for 2N, and so N should be expecting a touch less as an average hand. Assuming imps, safety is important and if we are not bidding game, we have to bid 3. It would be no surprise to us that EW have at least 9 spades. Even at mps, I think there is a great deal to be said for 3. Leaving aside the risk of going down, 3 might score 130 against 120.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-23, 21:12

I like the 2D-2H-3D sequence. 3D is showing a D stop and ask for S stop, any hand with with a S stop would have bid 2S (asking for a D stop/half a stop). Partner is vul so i dont see myself stopping short of game.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-23, 22:05

I like the blast. For 3N to be wrong, partner has to be off a spade stop, they have to find the lead, and 5m cannot be demonstrably better.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-24, 02:25

If 2 showed a club fit, 2-2;2NT is clearly forcing. It's almost never right to play in 2NT when we have found a suit fit. I don't see any reason to play it as game-forcing, though.

North would probably sign off in 3 over 2NT, so the full sequence might be:
2-2
2NT-3
3-5
Once South shows a diamond stop and secondary hearts, he's obviously lacking spade cards, so North stays out of 3NT.

Or, if North thinks he's too good for 3:
2-2
2NT-3
3-3NT
Here, North shows his spade weakness - if he had good spades, he would bid them; he's obviously worried about something, so he must have spade weakness.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-February-24, 03:51

3NT is ok, I guess I would go via 2D.

Over 2H, i would bid 3C, this is certainly passable, but the question is,
do you have enough to force to game? Opposite a hand slightly stronger than
min? I would say no, but ....

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#13 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-28, 12:00

If you blast sometimes and use science sometimes, does that make you a Scientologist?

;)
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#14 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-February-28, 12:45

View Postmikeh, on 2012-February-23, 18:43, said:

The alternative is 2, at least in the posted methods. For what it may be worth, I think transfers are a better idea, but they don't 'solve' this hand.

Over 2. my spade holding scares me. What would 2 mean?

I think it ought to be natural, forcing for one round, and showing a 4 card holding.

We won't have 5+, since we bid 2 with that, not 2.

To those who respond that we don't need to check back for spades, my reply is that you should learn to appreciate the power of moysian major suit fits.

So I'd have to choose between 2N and 3.

The problem is that I think both of these calls are forcing! 3 more or less has to be.....how else do we establish a forcing club sequence?

I'm confused by this. Why on earth would 3C be forcing?

2D showed a high card club raise using standard methods.
There's no reason why 2H from partner should show extra values.
What are you supposed to bid as advancer over 2H with a minimum hand if not 3C?

This is the equivalent of the auction

1H (1S) 2S* (P)
3C** (P) 3H

*good raise to 3H or better
** game try

...and saying that 3H 'must be forcing'

#15 User is offline   Venom 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Teaching Bridge, Golf, Family, Snakes

Posted 2012-March-07, 00:41

Not sure what is best bid. Can certainly understand argument for bashing 3NT.

RE: the meaning of 2S or 3D: agree with adam that when two suits are potentially open, bidding one shows stopper in that suit. When only one suit is unaccounted for, the bidding the suit, initially, looks for stopper.

The cue bid of 2D and partner's response was quite fortunate in terms of suggesting where opener's high cards (that justified his 1 diamond bid) potentially lay: i.e. in spades. That increases the chance of a spade attack in NT, methinks. This possibility seemingly increases if you play very aggressive 2 club overcalls of 1 diamond openings. Would you make the same 2 club overcall with xx, Kxx, xx, AKT9xx?

Be well, be safe

DHL aka: Double !
Conventional Wisdom is an Oxymoron.
If yer gonna play the game ya gotta learn to play it right.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users