• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

jec #3, board 24 Game swing on trick one choice

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-March-02, 10:33

This was another big swing against team forum.

I was told after the match, that justin thought 3 was a huge underbid. I did consider 3, and since I refused to pass 3NT (which I SHOULD have done), 3 would have been better. It would have stopped the diamond lead to trick one. For what it is worth, at the other table, the player with my hand rebid only 2.

On a diamond lead I have not play and I drifted off an extra trick when i prayed jec made a mistake by not returning a trump (or had Kx doubleton heart). Silly me.

My 3 rebid might have been a bit timid, but at the other table, after south rebid only 2 east found a three club bid, which allowed west to bid 3D. They alerted other new minors by responder as nmf, here there was no alert on 3C, but clearly forcing, which allowed west to bid 3D which stopped the deadly diamond lead (1h-1s-2h-3c-3d-3n-4h) and got a club lead, on which 4 rolls home.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-02, 10:46

These are the kinds of hands you get when you run bad. The uppercut was the cherry on the sundae.

The 3 call at the other table acted as a lead inhibitor. Who knew?

I wold have bid 4 over 1 with yours. Probably get the same -150 LOL.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 08:06

View Postinquiry, on 2012-March-02, 10:33, said:

This was another big swing against team forum.

I was told after the match, that justin thought 3 was a huge underbid. I did consider 3, and since I refused to pass 3NT (which I SHOULD have done), 3 would have been better. It would have stopped the diamond lead to trick one. For what it is worth, at the other table, the player with my hand rebid only 2.

On a diamond lead I have not play and I drifted off an extra trick when i prayed jec made a mistake by not returning a trump (or had Kx doubleton heart). Silly me.

My 3 rebid might have been a bit timid, but at the other table, after south rebid only 2 east found a three club bid, which allowed west to bid 3D. They alerted other new minors by responder as nmf, here there was no alert on 3C, but clearly forcing, which allowed west to bid 3D which stopped the deadly diamond lead (1h-1s-2h-3c-3d-3n-4h) and got a club lead, on which 4 rolls home.

you have a very nice heart suit --but bidding 3d (vs 3h or ughh 2h) is better not just because
it sets up a game force but it may also uncover a huge dia fit. Bidding any number of hearts again
will probably bury any dia fit. The fact that 3d acts as a lead inhibitor in this case is
merely a side benefit. Getting to 4h here is a very good idea (prior to seeing the dummy) p has
a completely useless hand for you thats the game:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-06, 19:12

He told me it was an underbid and a huge one.

Justin simply mentioned that it would be pitty if pd passes 3 with

Kxxx
x
Kxxxx
xxx

Which is very true imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-March-07, 02:07

I definitely think 3H is a huge underbid. I am noticing I am much more optimistic on these hands than most people. That said, I think on hands where partner can never evaluate what the "right" hand is, you should be bidding at least 4H rather than 3H which is true on a hand like this. But on top of that I think our hand is just really good so I would start with 3D. Our void is not in spades even.

Passing 3N with your hand would just be absurd, you are resulting yourself. It is debatable whether you should bid 4D or 4H, 6D could easily be cold opposite a 3N bid (like...most hands with 5 diamonds and 1 heart).

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-07, 03:49

I think 3 is a huge underbid too. The 2 rebid made by the other West is astonishing.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-07, 21:04

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-07, 03:49, said:

I think 3 is a huge underbid too. The 2 rebid made by the other West is astonishing.

Tell me about it...
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users