Posted 2012-February-29, 10:46

2* gf clubs or balanced

Do you agree with 3, what now?

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-29, 10:52

Well bid so far. I like a style where 2 can show a hand like this.

I would now double. Partner showed a preference for defense when partner hit 3. We have a balanced minimum, and we don't have a nine card spade fit. Partner could have made a lot of different noises like 4 or 4 or pass over 4 to show extras and didn't. As a matter of fact, we might not have been making 4 and we are very far away from making 11 tricks.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 10:57

View PostPhil, on 2012-February-29, 10:52, said:

Well bid so far. I like a style where 2 can show a hand like this.

I would now double. Partner showed a preference for defense when partner hit 3. We have a balanced minimum, and we don't have a nine card spade fit. Partner could have made a lot of different noises like 4 or 4 or pass over 4 to show extras and didn't. As a matter of fact, we might not have been making 4 and we are very far away from making 11 tricks.

Sounds like sound reasoning to me. Further, our Aces are (almost) sure tricks on defense, and the king is rather nice. Besides that, our hand doesn't look to be more "offensive" than "defensive" in that we don't have extreme shape, long suits that would be set up on offense, etc.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-29, 11:02

I can't see anything beyond a double at this point. Your hand isn't unbalanced, partner's hand doesn't sound unbalanced (no or bid), so you're better off defending.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-29, 11:57

This hand screams "defend." Double is my choice.

#6 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 12:19

I would X but something is fishy. They're at the 5 level on this kind of auction with a 9 card fit? Hopefully partner wouldn't X 3 with a stiff. I wouldn't be surprised if W had something like x, AKQx, xx, KQJ10xx and partner has the missing pointed honors. I'd stick with X but I think we would have made 4.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 12:59

X.

Given the bal. nature of the hand, and the honors
distribute across all suits, and the min. HCP count,
I would go with a X, I dont want to encourage p, to
bid 5S or to invite 6S.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-February-29, 14:06

Balanced hands defend and the 5 level is for them. You've bid your hand allready. Doubling now is clear. This is a FP situation and you should not want PD thinking of 5. You have a very minimum hand to GF with only 3 trump and a flattish 12 count, but it is rather prime and you may hope to ruff a . I'd GF also but don't be surprised if PD holds the wrong min and 4 is set. However, if we reserve all our GFs for when we think game is almost 100%, we'll miss too many games.

As for 3 or 4 after PD X their 3 that is up for discussion and whether you use "fast arrival" here.

Just my opinion .. neilkaz ..

#9 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 14:36

View Postneilkaz, on 2012-February-29, 14:06, said:

Balanced hands defend and the 5 level is for them. You've bid your hand allready. Doubling now is clear. This is a FP situation and you should not want PD thinking of 5. You have a very minimum hand to GF with only 3 trump and a flattish 12 count, but it is rather prime and you may hope to ruff a . I'd GF also but don't be surprised if PD holds the wrong min and 4 is set. However, if we reserve all our GFs for when we think game is almost 100%, we'll miss too many games.

As for 3 or 4 after PD X their 3 that is up for discussion and whether you use "fast arrival" here.

Just my opinion .. neilkaz ..

Agreed. 5 has virtually no chance and there's no reason to think 5 will make. In fact, as Phil pointed out, 4 wasn't even certain.

I'd estimate 5 goes down 95% of the time, usually by 2 tricks or more. I'd estimate 80% for 4 and maybe 40% for 5.

Nothing in the auction or my hand tells me to declare here. Defend.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#10 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 14:37

Oh and as far as your other question, Kathryn; what bid BESIDES 3 could you make? I cannot see what's wrong with it or what other bid would have been right, other than maybe 3NT which doesn't make sense to me either.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#11 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-29, 23:16

I passed. Partner held K9643 AK84 QJ42 V and doubled 5 for -3

#12 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 23:21

pass is forcing. why do you want to encourage partner to bid again when you've got a balanced minimum?

as for partner's doubling 3, that's ridiculous.

as for partner's doubling 5 after you forcing pass, that's also ridiculous.

#13 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-February-29, 23:29

View Postwank, on 2012-February-29, 23:21, said:

pass is forcing. why do you want to encourage partner to bid again when you've got a balanced minimum?

Yes, I knew we were in a FP situation. I didn't know if 5X was the best spot, hence the pass.

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 23:49

I do not understand the balanced comments. We've already shown a balanced hand or a hand with clubs. With a hand with clubs presumably we'd like to double them, so it should be assumed if we pass that we are balanced. It seems like if you're going to pass, 3442 with 2 small or Ax of clubs would be the best time.

Edit: And in case I am misunderstood I am not saying that double is wrong or bad I'm just saying that doubling because we are balanced doesn't make much sense given that we are always balanced if we pass. If you double because we have no hand that makes a lot of sense to me.

#15 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-March-01, 00:04

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-29, 23:49, said:

If you double because we have no hand that makes a lot of sense to me.

Justin, I don't understand this part. We have already shown a gf hand, what do you mean
by doubling with no hand?

#16 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 13:58

Pretty sure he means we have nothing after subtracting what we have already shown.

What we have shown so far is a balanced game force with three spades. A forcing pass would encourage partner to bid. We need to ask ourselves not whether our looks suitable for bidding on, but whether it is suitable compared to other balanced GF hands with three spades.

In that context, the best thing about the hand is the club holding. It is more offensive than Kx for example, because with Ax we take a trick regardless of who declares but Kx may have value only if they declare. Ax is also more offensive than Axx obviously.

The bad things about the hand are that it is minimum. And the spade holding is defensive compared to something like KJx.

What we should not do is double because our hand is balanced. Partner already knows that.

#17 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-March-01, 15:24

To further explain. My hand is a min GF for what is shown. I am doubling because of that. My hand is balanced and therefore and noting 3 trumps and that we may be in only a 5-3 fit doesn't seem to have any more offense than promised.

I have doubts that 4 can make (I expect it to be clear fav) and expect 5 to be set a big majority of the time. I definately don't want PD bidding 5 unless he has considerably extra offense. I expect 5 to be set.

With this being FP, my X tells that to PD.

#18 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 16:52

Some thoughts:

What is 4!s over 3C x? Assuming you would float 3cx with natural clubs presumeably bidding at all shows three spades in a balanced hand. For me here 4S would be a minimum GF balanced, and I would have done that, with 3S showing some extras.

If 3S is essentially unlimited, it makes sense that dble/FP should divide up between extras and not extras. Again, I don't think we can have a very offensive shape here having bid this way.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users