BBO Discussion Forums: Why I'm so angry today. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why I'm so angry today. Can anyone relate?

#41 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-01, 11:35

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-29, 14:54, said:

(3) Poking holes in arguments. This is something like the following: you type a 500-word, well-reasoned argument, and get no credit for the valuable analysis in any of it, but someone points out that you said something like "partner is sacrificing" instead of "partner might be sacrificing."

(4) Incorrect interpretation of facts. For example, someone says "so-and-so believes this hand is worth a takeout double" when, actually, the original post is either ambiguous or clearly NOT saying that.

(5) Deifying of specific experts. This one annoys me the most, because it's the most pervasive, in my opinion. Does anyone here feel that, simply by the merit of something OTHER than the content of the posts, certain people are given credit and respect blindly, while others cannot win no matter how sound their arguments are? Personally, I don't care if Charles Goren himself were posting in these forums. If there was (i) a factual error, (ii) an ambiguity, or (iii) a dangerous bit of advice given, I would feel compelled to call him out on it rather than just defer to his reputation. In fact, I would feel more compelled to call Goren out on it, because I know that others know what a highly-touted expert he is. Therefore his words are going to be taken much more seriously than average, and therefore must be held to the highest possible standard.

A few things:

+ When you feel "compelled to call someone out" you are adding to the confrontational attitudes. Errors can be pointed out, or different opinions expressed, without calling anyone out. This confrontational attitude often turns into the sort of "poking holes" arguments that you don't like.

+ Yes, some posters receive respect for things other than current content. Often past content. But, also for offline results. It's quite possible this respect is deserved.

+ If you're concerned that your posts don't get enough respect, perhaps you are looking for the wrong things from this forum. Rather than hoping others will respect you, just read and learn from those you respect while ignoring the others. If discussing rather than just reading will help you more, discuss in a respectful manner and stop if the discussion gets unhealthy.

#42 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-March-01, 12:02

:P Hope your girlfriend will be OK.
I did read one of your flame wars that was started when you said that a second seat vul overcall of one heart with one spade holding:
J1097x
109x
AKxx
x
was "ludicrous". Personally, it's a little light for me, too.
On the internet, you can usually avoid riling up all but the real a**holes by preceding your opinions with imo or imho. Our mamas didn't teach us internet manners, so we all have to learn them later in life.

#43 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 12:08

View PostPhil, on 2012-March-01, 09:20, said:

I think you're all a bunch of WIMPs. Cat pictures? Cartoon characters HUGGING?

Christ. You all suck.

Would it kill you to add imho to that?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#44 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 13:54

View PostPhil, on 2012-March-01, 09:20, said:

I think you're all a bunch of WIMPs. Cat pictures? Cartoon characters HUGGING?

Christ. You all suck.

I am pretty sure if the local gangster wannabe teenagers of your neighbourhood saw your reply, they would be proud of ya.

Do you also wear your jeans with the belt tightened at knee level ? :D
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users