• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should I stay or should I go?

#21 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-29, 13:12

View Postbroze, on 2012-February-29, 11:18, said:

I strongly disagree with a redouble. Partner is hardly ever going to pull to with even 3 and he never has 4. may well be your best spot, but you'll find yourself in 3m before you know it/

With a pickup partner I would just pass, but with my regular partner I would bid 2 (which would promise another safe suit). P will then sit 2 with a doubleton or better and pull or redouble (if doubled) for SOS with a single or void . We then probably end up in 3 of a minor.

100% agreed against the redouble. Partner is a huge underdog to bid spades and wouldn't know Qx or xxx is good enough. Thus we most likely get to a 4-3 fit at the 3 level and get doubled again. Now what? 2 for me, and a hard decision then if it gets doubled and passed back to me.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#22 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-29, 13:17

IMO, XX > 2S, since there are almost always 4S behind us. If partner is 3622, he'll bid 2S over the XX, and we'll deal with the split, but if partner is 26(41) or 16(42) or even with a 5cm [these are not unlikely shapes at these colors, with apparently an anemic heart suit since righty is passing for penalties], he will be poorly placed to move over 2S (X), and you'll be left to guess again.

I don't feel strongly about this, but I'd choose redouble.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#23 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 13:58

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-29, 13:17, said:

IMO, XX > 2S, since there are almost always 4S behind us. If partner is 3622, he'll bid 2S over the XX, and we'll deal with the split, but if partner is 26(41) or 16(42) or even with a 5cm [these are not unlikely shapes at these colors, with apparently an anemic heart suit since righty is passing for penalties], he will be poorly placed to move over 2S (X), and you'll be left to guess again.

I don't feel strongly about this, but I'd choose redouble.

I disagree with your conclusion but I agree entirely with your reasoning. I chose 2S because I can never otherwise communicate my 5 decent spades to partner, and I have no reason to believe that any other suit will be better than spades even if partner has 2 spades and 3 of one of the minors. Plus, that is one level higher. I agree, you will often get a tough decision when 2SX comes back to you. But I think there's a high probability you will get a tough decision whenever the bidding comes back to you, except that when you get a tough decision back to you after XX, you're nearly always at the 3-level and will have a nagging feeling that spades might have been your best fit.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#24 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 14:00

The real decider for me is if my random can at least be expected to have a straight flush from the Jack down (+ one). If he does, and a couple of randoms outside, we are probaby in as good a spot as any, right here.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#25 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-February-29, 14:29

Pass (rod, back, etc). Partner really ought to have a decent suit for this bid 1st seat red v white. A 6-0 fit with the trumps marked may play better than a possible 5-1 fit or a 4-3 fit a level higher, where none of the suits are likely to be splitting kindly. Though I agree it's borderline B-)
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 15:02

Pass.

I would redouble if not vul, but vulnerable I expect partner has enough tricks in hearts that we will do better there than elsewhere.

#27 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-29, 15:50

I'd pass. As others have said, partner should have a reasonable suit at this vulnerability. It may just be normal to go for 500 in 2x. Bidding risks a far greater calamity if we find ourseleves in a 5-2 spade fit or a 4-3 minor-suit fit.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#28 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 16:31

I'd pass. Keep in mind, with randoms there's always a chance they won't really have the defense, and if you make the contract at all you usually get close to 10 IMPs, even with no overtricks. If your partner has a very good heart suit you have a good chance to make the contract anyway. You are unlikely to make many more tricks by running, and you might even run to something worse.

#29 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-01, 01:02

Here's the full deal:

My link

I posted same hand in B/I from North's point of view.

Thank you for the answers :) I wouldn't have considered to xx as SOS, to be honest. Not bec i disagree with it, just bec i wasn't aware it's a common enough treatment.

#30 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-01, 01:28

View PostPhil, on 2012-February-29, 10:36, said:

I would redouble. There is a huge upside to finding a better fit, and even if partner sits, the IMP difference between 800 and 1600 is minor compared to finding a better contract, or chasing them off a double.

I wonder if this the RHO to Diana's AQx xx Kxx xxxxx? :P

Totally agree with Phil. This is an obvious xx. Totally obvious unless playing with a beginner.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#31 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 02:08

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-29, 13:12, said:

100% agreed against the redouble. Partner is a huge underdog to bid spades and wouldn't know Qx or xxx is good enough. Thus we most likely get to a 4-3 fit at the 3 level and get doubled again. Now what? 2 for me, and a hard decision then if it gets doubled and passed back to me.

Partner should bid 2S with almost any 3 card spade suit - they're not likely to have four of them when they opened 2H. Qx is a reasonable 2S bid if they do not have a 4 card minor.

#32 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-01, 02:47

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-29, 09:20, said:

Pass, because the most likely action after XX is pass by your partner, and the most likely action over 2 is 3 by your partner. Now try introducing 4 of a minor after South whacks 3! What fun. What fun for North/South.

With an experienced partner, either have the option to make a non-forcing bid of 2 here or redouble, asking for him to jump to his longest other suit.

Although I was planning to let this thread die in peace, there's an idea here that still bothers me.

Tate, i think it's wrong to even consider your partner running from 2!hx to 3!hx as something that will influence your bidding decision. It's assuming your partner has not figured out that 2hx was passed out for penalty. Partner has to be given some trust and respect, even if he is a random player.

#33 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-March-01, 04:22

2 was the winner (or redouble if partner gets it). But I think that's not a first hand Vulnerable pre-empt.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users