BBO Discussion Forums: Good hand at bridge last night... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good hand at bridge last night... We made the right contract...but

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-February-28, 05:18

I bid it out of instinct...How would you go about finding the bid more accurately?

Bidding...

N----E----S----W
-----3D---3S---4D
5D---P----5H---P
7S---AP

I assumed my partner had 5 spades bidding over...so chose to risk it since we do not have cue conventions...I assumed my partner is showing me the K with his bid, understanding I am showing control of .

So...how can one more accurately attempt to find this? I thought about showing 6C, but worried my partner would not understand that I have already set as trump.

YOUR HAND (N)

: QJ9843
: AJ
: -
: AK974

PARTNER'S HAND (S)

: AK76
: KQ72
: Q43
: Q3

The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-28, 07:30

South has a tough call in direct seat. 3NT seems obvious, but with 2 four card majors a double is not out of the question. I have to admit that 3 would never occur to me.

If South bids 3NT, North has a difficult problem. He is pretty sure that there is a slam (he only needs South to have Kx of spades to make a slam reasonable). The only obvious bid over 3NT is 4, intending to bid spades next. If West bids 4 over 3NT, North's options are even more limited. He might just shoot out 6, and then South has to decide whether to take the push to 7.

Your partner hit gold with his 3 call. If I were North, I would just bid out 5NT over 3 and take the chance that there is not a club loser.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-28, 07:38

The old fashioned 5N first time if you play it as GSF is a practical bid.

I'd have overcalled 3N over 3.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 08:15

I think I'd X 3D, not liking Qxx too much as a stop. After West's 4D North bids... what?

5D? OK, so South bids 5H and then 5S, 6S. Nope.

Right, so what about if North doubles 4D. Then 4H from south. The problem here is that North's 4S sounds like it could be passed, although really it shouldn't be because with something like 5-6 in the black suits and a weakish hand North wouldn't X, he'd just pass or bid 4S or 5C. So South raises to 5S and North bids 5NT (GSF), South 7S (AK of trumps).

The problem comes if South raises 4S to 6S which he might well do with extras. But hopefully he won't do that, instead preferring keycard: 4NT-5NT (2 with a void)-6C (SQ?)-7S (yes, and my hand's too good to bother with any more of this nonsense).

ahydra

#5 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 09:52

The problem comes if South raises 4S to 6S which he might well do with extras. But hopefully he won't do that, instead preferring keycard: 4NT-5NT (2 with a void)-6C (SQ?)-7S (yes, and my hand's too good to bother with any more of this nonsense).

Hah...that is exactly what I took my jump to 7S as...except I just prayed he had the A of S or even better AK...

We really did not have any conventions about this, so I was just happy that he understood my 5D...

Thanks for the input all.
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

#6 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-29, 09:56

The funny thing about this hand is...

About 2 months or so ago, playing against these same two players at our club during our 4-man competition, me and my beginner G/F reached a 7S contract that just should NOT be bid.

She understood my K reply incorrectly and thought we had all keys. Going up to 7S missing 2 kings!

Both K sit before her AQ in both suits and we pull off a beginner's luck GS for 16+ IMPs

Playing against these same two with my other partner...we reach another 7S based on hope and pull it off again.

The next day, after telling my G/F about the hand, we went to him together and said that we will no longer bid 7S against him.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users