BBO Discussion Forums: If you've never discussed this sequence, how would you interpret it? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If you've never discussed this sequence, how would you interpret it? And what call would you make?

#1 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-23, 08:20

Both vulnerable, you deal and pick up:

A 8 7 3
A J 4
A K 6
A Q 9

You open 2, and the bidding proceeds:

2 - 3 - Dbl. - Pass
?

Although you play negative doubles through 3 (over a one-of-a-suit opening), you haven't discussed this sequence with your partner.

How do you interpret the double?

What call do you make?
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#2 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-23, 08:25

my interpretation of the X is that partner is a lifelong member of the Bedlam Bridge Club; hoping to survive the hand I call "Hamman eggs in one basket"
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 08:26

I interpret the double as showing a "bust" the equivalent of a double-negative response. I would pass, as I expect to set this (at least one trick) in my own hand, and don't expect to have a game opposite a 0-3 HCP kingless hand.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-23, 09:30

Agree with Bunny
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 09:33

This is one of those areas where you have to weigh up your partner. If you think they are A/E or a well read intermediate then the double is likely to be a negative. If your partner appears to not be so hot on bidding theory, even if they are otherwise excellent, then the double is probably a positive of some kind. If they are very old or a novice then the double might even be a suggestion for penalty but (much) more likely it is just general values without a suit to show.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-February-23, 09:35

The "expert standard" treatment is that the double is showing a bust hand.

However, this "expert standard" treatment is one of the greatest secrets in all of bridge, it seems. About every person I know who now knows that "rule" was genuinely shocked when it was mentioned to them. "Oh, really?!?!?" So, I would not trust that a random person "knows this."
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-23, 09:47

Should I interpret "bust" to mean "This hand is good for defending against 3X but not much else", or "This hand is pretty much useless for anything"?
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:19

View PostS2000magic, on 2012-February-23, 09:47, said:

Should I interpret "bust" to mean "This hand is good for defending against 3X but not much else", or "This hand is pretty much useless for anything"?

"This hand is pretty much useless for anything" - I am going to pass your next bid, the double does not suggest defense.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:29

It's the type of hand that in "classic" 2 systems would be passing a 2NT rebid or bidding the cheapest minor after a suit rebid. It's just showing 0-3 HCP no king (in general). Basically useless unless a magic fit is found with the strong hand. Since the strong hand here has no shape, seems like no fit is to be found. I'd count on partner for 0-1/2 of a defensive trick.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:32

Pass instead of double should show a better hand regardless and even if the double is T.O. I'm not interested in a 4-4 or shudder 4-3 spade contract with the opps advertising a lot of shape.

3nt is what I would bid if pard passed. Might be a small imp loss but at mp's it could be a bottom by bidding as easily as by passing so I'm taking my plus right here and hope for the best.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:33

It's a hand that would bid an immediate double negative over 2C if one were available. Pass in responder's seat is GF. [The same goes over 2C (X): XX is a bust, and all other bids are GF.]

At least that's the "normal" treatment. But as others have said, you'll need to size up partner.

edit: and to be clear, I'll pass and hope for 5-6 tricks against 3Dx.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#12 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:34

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-February-23, 10:32, said:

Pass instead of double should show a better hand regardless and even if the double is T.O. I'm not interested in a 4-4 or shudder 4-3 spade contract with the opps advertising a lot of shape.

3nt is what I would bid if pard passed. Might be a small imp loss but at mp's it could be a bottom by bidding as easily as by passing so I'm taking my plus right here and hope for the best.

To be clear: are you bidding 3NT over the double, or passing the double?
BCIII

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:36

On "general principles", I would usually assume pass = takeout and double = penalty. But I don't normally have a double-negative bid available.

Of course, given our diamond holding, it is quite improbably that double was meant as penalty.

I agree that your partner's background is a major factor.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:47

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-February-23, 09:35, said:

The "expert standard" treatment is that the double is showing a bust hand.

However, this "expert standard" treatment is one of the greatest secrets in all of bridge, it seems. About every person I know who now knows that "rule" was genuinely shocked when it was mentioned to them. "Oh, really?!?!?" So, I would not trust that a random person "knows this."

Yes, this has been my experience as well. I do have to ask what the reasons are for X to be bust and pass to be at least semi-positive rather than the other way around?

thx .. neilkaz ..

#15 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:50

I would never assume that double shows a bust, I think that it is a bad treatment for 3-level overcalls. This 2C opening that you guys are discussing is virtually unheard of in the Netherlands, so I don't have agreements about this with my regular partner.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-23, 11:20

I consider the double as showing a bust hand. It is a warning that opener proceeds at his own peril. A pass shows values, and, obviously, any bid shows values.

After the double, opener, with a balanced strong hand, should seriously consider passing for penalties.

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-23, 11:20

View Postneilkaz, on 2012-February-23, 10:47, said:

Yes, this has been my experience as well. I do have to ask what the reasons are for X to be bust and pass to be at least semi-positive rather than the other way around?

thx .. neilkaz ..

Because when we pass with some semblance of stuff, we allow partner an extra call (double) to mean whatever we want it to mean within the 2C opening context. When we have nothing, that extra call we give to partner is unlikely to be useful.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 11:25

View PostArtK78, on 2012-February-23, 11:20, said:

After the double, opener, with a balanced strong hand, should seriously consider passing for penalties.

The winning choice: 3X goes for 800 and gives you a top.
BCIII

#19 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-February-23, 11:31

View Postneilkaz, on 2012-February-23, 10:47, said:

thx .. neilkaz ..

To be honest, I have not thought about it. What I do know is that many years ago, I also did not know this. When I said that I had never heard this rule, I was mocked as being an idiot rookie. So, I suppose my reason for playing this is that Moses had it on the third tablet.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-23, 11:38

View Posthan, on 2012-February-23, 10:50, said:

I would never assume that double shows a bust, I think that it is a bad treatment for 3-level overcalls. This 2C opening that you guys are discussing is virtually unheard of in the Netherlands, so I don't have agreements about this with my regular partner.

My plus on this post was not a misclick. Han gives a perspective from a region where apparently nobody opens 2C with a balanced 22 count. This is a good thing for people who also are unfamiliar with the style to read.

He is excused for using one of my peeves: describing a treatment as "bad", without knowing how it fits in with the partnership's other agreements/continuations.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users