BBO Discussion Forums: A theoretical question from JEc match #2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A theoretical question from JEc match #2

Poll: A theoretical question from JEc match #2 (9 member(s) have cast votes)

What do u bid ?

1. Pass (forcing) (5 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. DBL (penalty) (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. DBL(take-out (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

4. 5 Clubs (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

5. Something else (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-24, 14:37

Expert pd, team game, not many agreements except than common sense. You dont even know if we play 2 as 2nd neg ot not. You may not choose 2 (perhaps 2NT ? ) but assume you did for the sake of topic.

My question is, what is our best bid here ?

Please explain if u believe pass is forcing and why, and if not forcing for you then why not, or why DBL shd be penalty or take-out. What are u planning to do over pd's expected responses depending on what u choosed now.

Thanks.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-24, 15:12

When partner bid 3NT, he announced that he had the high-card values for game. When our side has shown the high-card values for game, pass is forcing. The fact that these values are all in the same hand doesn't change anything.

Even if he hadn't bid 3NT, the 2 opening set up a forcing pass in all sequences. Although 2 isn't an absolute game-force, the one non-game-forcing hand-type - 22-24 balanced - is so strong that we would never want to defend something undoubled.

When pass is forcing but we haven't agreed a suit, doubles are for penalties and pass suggests not defending. Hence I pass.

If partner now bids a suit (4, probably), I'd like to bid Keycard, with a view to bidding a grand slam opposite the right top cards. Is that what 4NT means? Dunno.

If partner doubles 4, it might be right to leave it in. They won't have much apart from KQ, so it's probably going for 800 or 1100. However, the fact that he bid 3NT rather than doubling 3 suggests a fairly offensive hand. If he has something like AJ AKx AKJxx Axx we still have a grand slam.

Partner will have no idea that this is a possibility - he's expecting us to have about a 4-count with a singleton club, and he thinks that the decision facing our partnership is whether to defend 4 or bid game. If he doubles, I think I should suggest a grand-slam, somehow. Presumably pass and pull to 6NT is a grand-slam try - what else can it be?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-24, 15:46

Assuming that 2 was negative or waiting, partner's 3NT call could be based on his belief that he has 9 playing tricks on a club lead. His club stopper could be QJx. Something like:

AJ
AK
AKJTxx
QJx

(I know - what do the opps have to bid up to 4 on a combined 8 clubs to the AK? That is not my problem).

So pass and pull to 6NT might not be the best tactic.

I think an immediate 4NT call is best. It shows that you have values for your 2 call, but doesn't commit the partnership to slam. Partner should be in a better position to know if there is a slam.

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-24, 15:54

It is hard to imagine a card partner needs that I don't have. 6NT
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-24, 16:37

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-24, 15:12, said:

When partner bid 3NT, he announced that he had the high-card values for game. When our side has shown the high-card values for game, pass is forcing. The fact that these values are all in the same hand doesn't change anything.

Even if he hadn't bid 3NT, the 2 opening set up a forcing pass in all sequences. Although 2 isn't an absolute game-force, the one non-game-forcing hand-type - 22-24 balanced - is so strong that we would never want to defend something undoubled.

When pass is forcing but we haven't agreed a suit, doubles are for penalties and pass suggests not defending. Hence I pass.

If partner now bids a suit (4, probably), I'd like to bid Keycard, with a view to bidding a grand slam opposite the right top cards. Is that what 4NT means? Dunno.

If partner doubles 4, it might be right to leave it in. They won't have much apart from KQ, so it's probably going for 800 or 1100. However, the fact that he bid 3NT rather than doubling 3 suggests a fairly offensive hand. If he has something like AJ AKx AKJxx Axx we still have a grand slam.

Partner will have no idea that this is a possibility - he's expecting us to have about a 4-count with a singleton club, and he thinks that the decision facing our partnership is whether to defend 4 or bid game. If he doubles, I think I should suggest a grand-slam, somehow. Presumably pass and pull to 6NT is a grand-slam try - what else can it be?

See, at the moment i believed (rightly or wrongly) my 2 already showed 4+ hcp, and that my pass over 4 promised extras.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-24, 16:46

The mere fact that I pass vs x should suggest
some useful values to p (lets say at least 4 at
least 2 queens) with less I have to x)

That means I can bid
4n with 8-9
6n with 10-11
5n with 12-13
more just bid 7n and blame p if its wrong

if we pass and are balanced p knows we are
in the 4-7 range and we will pass if p x 4c.

All ranges of balanced hands are covered this way
and we can use pass and pull or bidding suits to
show suit oriented hands and differentiate btn
weak vs slam oriented hands.

on the given hand over 4c I would just bid

4n

#7 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-25, 04:07

This hand is hard to bid with no agreement. After all, you did not promise anything with your 2 bid- this could have been done with zero points, as you had no agreement about 2.

I would bid 6 NT. I do not care about a missing a grand slam, I would be happy if partner makes a small slam...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-25, 20:25

Seems like everyone wants to bid 6 NT one way or another.

6 NT can be made, but i think it is not as good as 6

Pd holds

Ax
AKJTxx
Ax
KJx

You have 9 top major tricks and need to produce 3 more from minors Qxx vs Ax and xx vs KJx . In 6 all u need is to guess the . In 6 NT even if u survive the guess that brings you to 11 tricks.

At the table i passed and then passed again the DBL. We collected +500, this could be +980 or -50

3 bidder had xx void JTxxx Axxxxx

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-February-26, 02:32

I don't think partner should double. The pass invites him to bid if he's got a more offensive hand than he has promised so far, and that's what he does have. If responder had xxxx xxxx xxxx x, 4 would be almost cold, and 4 would be 1-2 off. On a bad day 4 might be making with 4 one down.

When 4 comes around to him, opener should bid 4. Now we can Keycard our way to slam (opposite a major, I don't think there's any doubt about what 4NT means).
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-26, 23:48

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-26, 02:32, said:

I don't think partner should double. The pass invites him to bid if he's got a more offensive hand than he has promised so far, and that's what he does have. If responder had xxxx xxxx xxxx x, 4 would be almost cold, and 4 would be 1-2 off. On a bad day 4 might be making with 4 one down.

When 4 comes around to him, opener should bid 4. Now we can Keycard our way to slam (opposite a major, I don't think there's any doubt about what 4NT means).

Thats what i was exactly wondering, i also thought at some point one of us needs to show a suit and AKJTxx is a good suit to start doing this.

#11 User is offline   lesh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-25, 04:50

View PostMrAce, on 2012-February-24, 14:37, said:

Expert pd, team game, not many agreements except than common sense. You dont even know if we play 2 as 2nd neg ot not. You may not choose 2 (perhaps 2NT ? ) but assume you did for the sake of topic.

My question is, what is our best bid here ?

Please explain if u believe pass is forcing and why, and if not forcing for you then why not, or why DBL shd be penalty or take-out. What are u planning to do over pd's expected responses depending on what u choosed now.

Thanks.

I would Dbl. I think DBL should be t/o and pass is forcing to DBL which would either be passed or make a bid showing slam try interest. If partner is not interested in doubling I think he would just bid what he has.

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-25, 09:19

View Postlesh, on 2013-February-25, 04:50, said:

I would Dbl. I think DBL should be t/o and pass is forcing to DBL which would either be passed or make a bid showing slam try interest. If partner is not interested in doubling I think he would just bid what he has.

You expect PDI to be on given the conditions outlined in the OP?!!
(-: Zel :-)

#13 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-19, 06:49

The 3NT could be bid with all types of off-shape hands including A AKJx AKJ10xx Ax so no need to commit to any particular contract bid 4NT or 5C.

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-19, 07:31

View Postlesh, on 2013-February-25, 04:50, said:

Sorry, I don't agree.

Pass is clearly forcing, so it acts as a takeout double. Double says that we have bid enough, lets take what we can get here.

As I stated above, I would not pass here since I think we have a slam. But double is just not in the picture.

#15 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-19, 17:22

View PostArtK78, on 2013-March-19, 07:31, said:

Sorry, I don't agree.

Pass is clearly forcing, so it acts as a takeout double. Double says that we have bid enough, lets take what we can get here.

As I stated above, I would not pass here since I think we have a slam. But double is just not in the picture.

PDI just inverts the two calls - it adds up to much the same thing and gives more defintion to pass and pull autions. There is nothing to disagree with.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-March-20, 03:07

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-March-19, 17:22, said:

PDI just inverts the two calls - it adds up to much the same thing and gives more defintion to pass and pull autions. There is nothing to disagree with.

Given the OP:-

View PostMrAce, on 2012-February-24, 14:37, said:

Expert pd, team game, not many agreements except than common sense. You dont even know if we play 2 as 2nd neg ot not.

...I think there is plenty to disagree with thinking PDI would be in play.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-20, 08:25

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-March-20, 03:07, said:

Given the OP:-

...I think there is plenty to disagree with thinking PDI would be in play.

I could be wrong, but I assumed Lesh was just ignoring the conditions stated in the OP and saying that PDI was better than standard here and that Art was saying he was basically wrong.

I agree it's barking mad to assume PDI undiscussed.

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-22, 20:23

Would someone please tell what PDI means?

I'm guessing Pass/Double Iversion, but trying to figure out what exactly that means is making my head hurt (or is it the large quantities of red wine?)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-23, 00:34

I think PDI = swapping the normal meanings of pass and double in a forcing pass situation.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users