• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what's your favorite lunch?

#21 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-01, 13:54

View Postjdeegan, on 2012-March-01, 13:22, said:

:P You think you have problems? At my advanced age almost everything good is bad for you, and almost everything that is not bad for you tastes like dog food.
This leaves only sushi, well-seasoned broiled fish, properly done roast chicken, stir-fried veggies with various oriental seasonings, vietnamese pho, most thai curry, cerviche, posole, southern-style greens with cornbread and hot sauce. Damn! I could go on and on, but its nearly lunch time.

How's the pho where you are?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#22 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-March-01, 13:56

At my advanced age almost everything good is bad for you, and almost everything that is not bad for you tastes like dog food.

When our younger son was about 5 years old he observed that dogs' taste buds were different from ours because if they were the same, we'd like dog food.

. . . posole . . . .

There's a restaurant in Yorba Linda, CA that serves wonderful posole. I'm headed home tomorrow and will have to go there for lunch next week.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#23 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-March-01, 19:39

View Posty66, on 2012-March-01, 13:54, said:

There are some really good pho places in vegas, but obv NYC was the best of the places I've lived. I know, you didn't ask me :P

#24 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-March-01, 19:43

View PostS2000magic, on 2012-February-27, 13:58, said:

If I were going out to lunch, it'd be sushi or Thai or Chinese.

Seriously. I am rarely awake/hungry for lunch, but whenever I'm ordering sushi/thai/chinese and I see their lunch specials it is amazing to me how cheap it is. Hot and sour soup, an egg roll, fried rice, and sesame chicken for like 6.95 lol.

#25 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-01, 19:46

Mmm pho. Moving from MI to NJ greatly improved my access to quality Asian food. There is some good pho as well as ramen, but man do I love Korean food. We're likely getting a place in NYC starting this summer, which is going to be awful for my diet, as K-town is my happy place.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-March-01, 20:15

mmmm korean bbq... ALRIGHT I'M GETTIN HUNGRY. BTW wyman the so called junior house is walking distance from k-town if you wanna hang out with bridge players.

#27 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 22:05

my roommate is korean and has never had great korean bbq. she's jelly.

her grandmother makes some elite food tho
OK
bed

#28 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-March-01, 22:33

Arlington Virginia has a pretty decent restaurant scene. Before rents started taking off in the 90s we had a thriving Vietnamese retail community in the neighborhood, including a couple of grocery stores. Most of the old places are gone. But Pho-75, which is a quintessential cheap eats cafeteria with 20 or so pho dishes on the menu, is still packing them in. Best deal in town imo.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#29 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 22:58

View Posty66, on 2012-March-01, 22:33, said:

Arlington Virginia has a pretty decent restaurant scene. Before rents started taking off in the 90s we had a thriving Vietnamese retail community in the neighborhood, including a couple of grocery stores. Most of the old places are gone. But Pho-75, which is a quintessential cheap eats cafeteria with 20 or so pho dishes on the menu, is still packing them in. Best deal in town imo.

I can relate. In Dallas I was a few blocks from a small Chinatown, which offered (for cash only) some great authentic Chinese, and just on the other side of that was a quintessential cheap Indian buffet. <$5 for all you could eat, high quality Indian with rice, naan, and raita.

It was perfect.

All the great food cultures of the world have a great soup or stew defined by flavorful broth, well cooked meats, and fresh accompaniments. It should be quick, cheap, and delicious.
OK
bed

#30 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2012-March-02, 05:03

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-March-01, 22:58, said:

I can relate. In Dallas I was a few blocks from a small Chinatown, which offered (for cash only) some great authentic Chinese, and just on the other side of that was a quintessential cheap Indian buffet. <$5 for all you could eat, high quality Indian with rice, naan, and raita.

It was perfect.

All the great food cultures of the world have a great soup or stew defined by flavorful broth, well cooked meats, and fresh accompaniments. It should be quick, cheap, and delicious.

I miss you bro.

#31 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-March-02, 12:09

View Posty66, on 2012-March-01, 13:54, said:

:P In Dallas and esp. the northern suburb of Richardson (the east side) it is wonderful at most places that feature it. The Asian community in this area is generally very well-off (think MD's and engineers), and they love to eat out. In Richardson/Plano, esp., they follow their favorite chefs from one little suburban restaurant to another. Unless you read Chinese or go to one of the numerous Asian Christian churches, it is not easy to keep up-to-date. I suggest most of the eateries at a Chinese shopping center in Richardson on Greenville Avenue about three blocks north of Beltline Road (aka. Main Street in Richardson) and about three blocks east of Central Expressway.

#32 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-02, 12:30

I just got back from having pad thai at my favourite Thai place here in town. Yummy!!!
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#33 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 14:37

View Postjdeegan, on 2012-March-02, 12:09, said:

:P In Dallas and esp. the northern suburb of Richardson (the east side) it is wonderful at most places that feature it. The Asian community in this area is generally very well-off (think MD's and engineers), and they love to eat out. In Richardson/Plano, esp., they follow their favorite chefs from one little suburban restaurant to another. Unless you read Chinese or go to one of the numerous Asian Christian churches, it is not easy to keep up-to-date. I suggest most of the eateries at a Chinese shopping center in Richardson on Greenville Avenue about three blocks north of Beltline Road (aka. Main Street in Richardson) and about three blocks east of Central Expressway.

i lived in richardson right off of belt line near 75. yeah, the asian places are ridiculously good
OK
bed

#34 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-March-02, 14:42

Love Asian food, but am afraid of MSG (very allergic) so I rarely eat it for lunch here in Chicago. Back home in the burbs I know a few Asian restaurants that for sure don't use MSG so I eat there.

In the city, I usually have Indian, or Mexican, or Middle Eastern. I rarely eat American food for lunch in Chicago.

Certainly one of my favorites is a Carne Asada Burrito loaded up with habanero sauce. The sauce is hot enough that they don't give it out to gringos unless you ask.

#35 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-03, 00:29

I usually bring leftovers from dinner. I'm so grateful that my job has microwaves and a fridge available.

Sometimes I forget to bring a lunch. If I could eat anything for lunch, I would like Sushi, but there isn't a good restaurant near my work.

I usually end up going to Subway and having a salad sub. Not a very good lunch, but at least it's food.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#36 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-March-13, 09:55

For NY noodle slurpers

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users