BBO Discussion Forums: Who Let The Dogs Out - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who Let The Dogs Out I Want A Ruff

Poll: Mid hand lead looking for a ruff (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Club?

1. Club K (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Club Q (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Club J (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Club T (6 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

5. Club 3 (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Other (Why a Club?) (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-19, 16:35

Trick 1: 2-J-5-3
Trick 2: 2-3-K-A

Now?

Clearly your partner has no more 's. A low away from the AJ seems hopeless. So...you settle on a from that chunky sequence.

Which one?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-19, 16:56

I think you should cash the A first and then lead the 10.

This would show that there is no (more) future in hearts and that you are not interested in a club return. From his own diamond length partner can deduce what you are doing.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 16:56

View Postmasse24, on 2012-February-19, 16:35, said:

Trick 1: 2-J-5-3
Trick 2: 2-3-K-A

Now?

Clearly your partner has no more 's. A low away from the AJ seems hopeless. So...you settle on a from that chunky sequence.

Which one?

Queen or Ten. I'd play T unless it is some sort of coded.

You obviously dont wanna play K

J may make pd think u led from KJT (unless u play coded here)

Small will look like u want it back
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-19, 17:21

Edit: I leave what follows to show how silly it was: dummy won the first trick, not partner. Ooops

The trump return is extraordinarily weird, to the point that rational analysis seems futile.

Here goes anyway:

partner HAD to know that you led either a stiff or from 3 small, assuming that you lead low from xxx in partner's suit.

If he has the club A, it is trivial to cash the club A to see your signal: if you discourage, he gives you a diamond ruff, otherwise he leads another club, as long as he has 5 diamonds....if he had 4s and 3s, then he leads a heart, to stop declarer ruffing the club and pitching a stiff heart.

So since he didn't cash the club A, he can't hold it, unless he is a weak player....but...wait a sec...we know he's weak, due to the trump back.

Thus we don't know where the club A is. I try to cash the heart A anyway, and then lead a club.

If declarer ruffs the heart, and partner held the club A, I hope he invites comments on how he might have done better.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-19, 17:34

Mikeh has done his usual thorough analysis. And I, as usual, was stuck on fooling partner into leading a diamond by playing the club ten without cashing the heart first. It didn't seem to matter if the club ten were coded. Either he plays the Ace or doesn't have it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-19, 18:02

Mike, I think dummy won the first trick.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-19, 18:05

Here's the diagram as I would have presented it:

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 18:12

I think those half diagrams are fun and it's not much effort to learn to read them :)

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-19, 18:26

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-February-19, 17:34, said:

Mikeh has done his usual thorough analysis. And I, as usual, was stuck on fooling partner into leading a diamond by playing the club ten without cashing the heart first. It didn't seem to matter if the club ten were coded. Either he plays the Ace or doesn't have it.

Not that thorough...I thought partner won the trick...he didnt...me bad
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-February-20, 01:42

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-February-19, 16:56, said:

I think you should cash the A first and then lead the 10.

I was thinking the same, but this could work out badly if declarer is void in (which is possible). So perhaps we should immediately lead whatever means we can't possibly have the K, and hope partner nonetheless works out we want a back to ruff. (Partner must have A for the bidding and play.)
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users