Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Take out doubles 2nd response

#1 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-15, 15:55

Playing normal 2/1 with a random partner.

Do you bid 1 or 1 with this hand?

I bid 1 in the thought that if they compete I can show the next round without reversing. However when my partner instead responded 1 nt(assuming this is the 16-18 range in balance seat), I rebid . This got him all excited and we ended up in an unmakable heart game.

He said 2 showed 5-5 and was game forcing.

So I have 2 questions.
1. Is 1 correct or should I show the lower?
2. Does the rebid of 2 indeed show 5-5 and is gf, if so and the answer to 1 was , I should just pass 1nt?

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-15, 16:14

Given that partner was in balancing seat, a 1NT bid would have shown about 11-14 HCP. So, with a real strong NT type of hand, he has to double first and then rebid 1NT, as he did.

I would bid 1 on your cards, not because I intend to show hearts next, but because my spade suit is better. With only 6 HCP, your hand is worth only one bid unless partner invites game.

When your partner shows a strong NT, you have a pass. Yes, you have 4 hearts, but partner is not promising 4 hearts. You might miss a 4-4 heart fit, but you don't have enough to bid again.

Partner was also wrong - your 2 call did not show 5-5 and force to game. Far from it. With that hand you could cue bid 2. You showed a weak hand with spades and hearts, presumably 5-4.

#3 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-15, 16:20

I would guess its a matter of style, but for me your bid is a weak hand potentially even with 5 and 4 spades. It is definitely not game forcing, but I would expect more distribution.
With your hand I would consider passing 1NT, just because in this case double did not promise any 4 card major - it was just to show point range, and for all you know partner can be 3:3:2:5. If your partner opened 1NT would you ask stayman or just pass?
Another potentially useful agreement with regular partner is whether or not you are playing system on in these auctions.....

Posted ImageYu
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-15, 16:29

1, Yes, 1S is correct, in case partner cues two of their suit or something like that, and you have a 2H call available. But, that didn't occur.

2. No, and no. You gotta pass the 1NT rebid because pard hasn't shown either major. You might miss a heart fit, but you would have missed a heart fit anyway if your CHO had merely opened 1NT because he was in first chair rather than fourth.

In other words: forget what has happened before this. Partner has a nice NT opener, and you have a pass.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-15, 17:45

With 4-4 in the Majors this is an exception to " up-the-line " ..... advance 1 first .

When partner makes a takeout double and if you advance with 1, then a 1 bid by partner would show a big hand with long Spades. So you can't find a 4-4 fit that way.
It is up to advancer to introduce both suits. And by advancing 1 first, the doubler can then play in either suit at the two level. Should advancer bid 1 then 2, doubler would have to convert to Hts at the 3 level....

Edit: "This is nothing new; you will find this treatment recommended in Goren books from the 1950's."

This post has been edited by TWO4BRIDGE: 2012-February-15, 18:36

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-16, 02:19

1. Your partner was surely wrong, you bid 2 with such a strong hand.
2. Do you have the agreement that 1 Nt in the pass out seat shows 11-14 hcps? If so (and this is common expert standard) partner has simply a 15-18 Nt and you an easy pass.
If X then 1 NT promises 19-20 or the like it is a little more tricky. Now you have two 4 card majors and enough to drive to game. I guess I would bid 2 Hearts with your hand too, despite the fact that this will sound like 5/4 in the majors. If partner has no hearts, but bids spades, I will correct to 3 Nt and he hopefully will understand the message.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users