• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what is X meaning?

#21 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-15, 08:07

The hand, rotated so the hand in the OP is south. S dealer, vul. none.

Seeing as I played it in a somewhat different context than the OP, I'm totally willing to believe I threw the hand away.

#22 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-15, 08:34

After partner has preempted, my double is for penalties.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-15, 10:39

Perhaps another thread with this thread's title will appear down the road. It will explore the notion that a double must be lumped into one of two categories: "penalty" or "takeout". This vaguery is a problem in disclosure and in forum discussions.

Most people here believe, as I do, that the double on this auction is at the extreme end of the spectrum..."They are not making, and you (pard) are not removing." South's hand does not meet that test.

Looking at South, I am not sure it is resulting (considering his strength concentration and spade singleton) for him to take a bid (not double) over 4H despite the fact he only has 8 minor suit cards. Of course, it would be helpful to know responder would not have bid 3D with less than 5 of them or with a four-card major. We would know that; would you?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   scipio2004 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-February-15, 14:11

This hand was played in Israel Bridge Festival Open Pairs.
I was actually a substitute on one session for another player but I played with a regular partner of mine.
I am pretty sure I can locate the hand in hand records but I am positive declarer was 5-6-2-0 with solid hearts and ruffed my club lead.

#25 User is offline   scipio2004 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-February-16, 00:31

Aguahombre : I don't think you are right... We were playing matchpoints.
holding south hand my thought was 4H= is probably not a good score for us since I think we can make at least 4 or 5 diamonds if they do have heart fit. (I guessed heart loser, spade loser)
It's probable I would not double at imps.

When I bid I estimated something like 30% they are in the wrong contract, maybe even playing without fit.
(In which case I will reconsider if dummy removes to 4S)
and 30% we can't make 5D or 4H will be more then 500. counting on couple of clubs tricks and a spade ruff or two...
Partner could hold for example a major suit ace and the jack of clubs or king of diamonds.
I think a hand such as south actual hand was less likely because he may bid 4D (choose a major) with that hand.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users