BBO Discussion Forums: Do you take a call? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you take a call?

#1 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:statistics, bridge, sound recording and editing, crosswords, American football and baseball, making redoubled contracts (16 out of 35 and counting...)

Posted 2012-January-27, 00:57

Matchpoints, North America. Club game of varying strength. Here's the auction.

Do you bid?

If you would have bid 4 directly over 3, lefty would still have bid 4, and it would still be passed around to you.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-27, 02:45

I pass. Am I one of West's peers?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 03:02

View Postgartinmale, on 2012-January-27, 00:57, said:

Matchpoints, North America. Club game of varying strength. Here's the auction.

Do you bid?

If you would have bid 4 directly over 3, lefty would still have bid 4, and it would still be passed around to you.

I have two tricks to partner. If I trust him to have the 7 tricks he should have for his preempt in equal zones then yes I bid 5. At MP -500 is better than -620.

#4 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:statistics, bridge, sound recording and editing, crosswords, American football and baseball, making redoubled contracts (16 out of 35 and counting...)

Posted 2012-January-27, 04:12

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-27, 02:45, said:

I pass. Am I one of West's peers?

Not by a mile. No offense to West. Okay, maybe small offense to West.

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 04:16

View Postgartinmale, on 2012-January-27, 00:57, said:

Do you bid?

Yes, I open 1
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 06:41

I'd probably bid 4H the first time and pass next. We might even beat 4S and there's way too much risk 5H goes for 800.

And yes, I'd also consider opening 1D.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 10:30

Count me in with the openers.

Having said that, assuming I found the A after my pass, bidding 5 here is a mug's game - even if it might be right. If I'm bidding 5 over 4, I'm bidding 5 over 3. "Maybe they won't bid it" - yeah, sure.

Having said *that*, my answer to those questions is a bunch of questions. Who's my partner? What's our preempting style? Does he push in third seat? If he's classic, all seats, all vulnerabilities, he's got KQxxxxx and an outside K, and we're taking 3 tricks in spades and probably 9 in hearts, so sure. But I should have worked that out back at 3 where I get a chance to go +100 rather than this option of bad or worse. But I don't play with those people, and I expect KQ-sixth at best, maybe QT-seventh, and an Ace, or some other defensive trick, outside is likely. They could have 3-2 hearts, never mind 2-2, and we could easily take 4 tricks.

I pass, and wonder why I didn't open and give partner the problem.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 10:53

I think the bid/pass decision here can only be made with knowledge of partner's preempting style.

Unless said style is extreme in either direction I think both pass and 5 are LA's here.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#9 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 00:33

I was South.

East had

-
KQJTxxxx
Qxx
xx

East thought for about a minute before opening 3 and for longer over 4.

The East/West partnership has no agreement on preempting style, and their card is not marked. East said he was initially trying to choose between 3, 4, and 5, and was thinking about both the vulnerability and how likely we were to double him compared to other tables.

Everyone agreed that there was a hesitation. West claimed that

(1) 5 is automatic, and

(2) His partner's hesitation implies a distributional hand, and that N/S can therefore make both 4 and 5; hence bidding on, giving us the fielder's choice of doubling 5 when it is right or bidding a making contract when it is not, is the action not suggested by the UI. In practice, 5 does make, losing a heart and a diamond, and 5 is one away, losing two clubs and the diamond king.

We objected to (1) because we thought it was false, and (2) because we thought it was, well, very false.

Every other table had played the hand already, but most of them opened East's hand and were never quite in this mess. At the club, with no one to poll, how would you go about ruling on the hand?

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 02:01

You are right about there being no one to poll. Peers of West who didn't open and of East who thought they had something to think about before and after their questionable choice would not understand what they were being asked.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 05:00

You need to answer the question: What would West's peers consider LAs? and What would West's peers think the UI suggested?

Often, the easiest way is to poll West's peers. But it is not the only way. As a clear example, I think that West's bridge teacher (if he has one) would be very good at answering these questions, probably better than West's peers (who wouldn't understand these questions to begin with).

I think it would be a good idea to leave the dogma that you can only get a good ruling if you poll the player's peers.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 05:22

I may be blind but I can't see the vulnerability on the hand. In a club game in my area

1. Most would open 1
2. Some but not many would bid 4 having passed originally
3. Most would pass 4

It maybe the standard in the game described is different but based on what has been said I think the hesitation suggests bidding on if the vulnerability is anything but unfavourable and I would not allow this choice.

#13 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 06:34

The vulnerability is all vul. You can see this from the bar above the auction diagram: When NS are vulnerable, the bar on top of North and South will be red (as here). If NS are not vulnerable this bar is white. The same goes for EW.

Quick examples:

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#14 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 11:13

3H. Lol.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 13:15

View Postgartinmale, on 2012-February-02, 00:33, said:

(2) His partner's hesitation implies a distributional hand, and that N/S can therefore make both 4 and 5; hence bidding on, giving us the fielder's choice of doubling 5 when it is right or bidding a making contract when it is not, is the action not suggested by the UI. In practice, 5 does make, losing a heart and a diamond, and 5 is one away, losing two clubs and the diamond king.

kudos to west for such classic bullshitting.

#16 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-02, 13:20

pass is definitely a logical alternative.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#17 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 15:53

Initially I call 4 then I obey the captain(partner) and shut up
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 16:02

View Postpooltuna, on 2012-February-02, 15:53, said:

Initially I call 4 then I obey the captain(partner) and shut up

And you would do so in tempo. This is typically the cause of a BIT by players of inexperience as must be the case here....an ill chosen or ill prepared initial action. That is exactly the UI West had ---that there was something wrong with the 3H bid; and he used it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#19 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-03, 18:20

View Postgartinmale, on 2012-February-02, 00:33, said:

At the club, with no one to poll, how would you go about ruling on the hand?

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-February-02, 02:01, said:

You are right about there being no one to poll.

I don't understand: why is there no-one to poll? Of course there are people to poll, other players in the club.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#20 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 04:55

All of them have played the board already. I suppose in a perfect world that doesn't matter.

View Postbluejak, on 2012-February-03, 18:20, said:

I don't understand: why is there no-one to poll? Of course there are people to poll, other players in the club.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users