• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-07, 03:00

Matchpoints, none vul. RHO deals and opens 1. You're looking at:
AQT975
KQ65
JT4
-

Assuming you pass (please let me know if you don't), LHO bids the expected 1NT and partner doubles (takeout for spades), RHO passes. Your call?

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-07, 04:52

I would pass at mps. Suits seems to break bad for declarer, we rate to have the majority of the points. If they run to 2 Club, I try 2 .
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 05:40

I would pass. After they run from this I play first double is t/o then penatlies, so I can make a t/o double of clubs if partner passes. If he passes I am probably happy with all the other suits locked up. 4H looks a long way off imo.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-07, 08:39

Easy pass. Opps are in trouble and we probably only need 2 down to get a good score.

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:13

Wow, my judgement is terrible. I bid 4, made +2 and kicked myself for not exploring to slam :)

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:23

So for the "ez pass"-ers (I am included):

What do you do if the auction goes:

(1S) P (1N) X
(P) P (2D) P
(P) ?

(1S) P (1N) X
(P) P (XX) P [XX = SOS]
(2D) ?

Obv we FP (right?) if LHO SOS's and RHO bids clubs, and we bid 2H if LHO balances clubs and partner FP's

But when they bid diamonds, I'm wondering if "rip it, lead trump" is reasonable, or whether it's better to bid toward our own heart game. At w/r, I'm more inclined to speculatively rip it, and at r/w, I'm less likely, but I'm not sure what to do at even.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:28

Actually now that I think about it, I can't even imagine a shape where LHO XX's and RHO bids diamonds, so I guess it's just more the auction where LHO balances 2D.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#8 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:28

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-07, 09:23, said:

So for the "ez pass"-ers (I am included):

What do you do if the auction goes:

(1S) P (1N) X
(P) P (2D) P
(P) ?

(1S) P (1N) X
(P) P (XX) P [XX = SOS]
(2D) ?

Obv we FP (right?) if LHO SOS's and RHO bids clubs, and we bid 2H if LHO balances clubs and partner FP's

But when they bid diamonds, I'm wondering if "rip it, lead trump" is reasonable, or whether it's better to bid toward our own heart game. At w/r, I'm more inclined to speculatively rip it, and at r/w, I'm less likely, but I'm not sure what to do at even.

For the first I would dble, but in my case it would be t/o not penalty, and delighted for partner to pass it. If he bids hearts I will raise to at least 3H.

In the second, I would make a t/o double hoping that partner will pass. If partner bids Clubs I will correct to 4H. This is natural for me over 3 or 4 clubs, as one often makes t/o doubles when you already know the right contract if it is not 2x x.

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:29

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-07, 09:28, said:

Actually now that I think about it, I can't even imagine a shape where LHO XX's and RHO bids diamonds, so I guess it's just more the auction where LHO balances 2D.

I can, its the double and the old bid your shortage, if they wind you run to 2h cause you are 5503 and thought you would be obnoxious.....

Also when partner raises his eyebrow in his best impersonation of spock you can calmly announce that you wanted a diamond lead.

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:30

Interesting, I'm in the "after a pen X or a pen pass of an X, X is penalty" camp. I think you've still answered my question though :)

#11 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:35

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-07, 09:30, said:

Interesting, I'm in the "after a pen X or a pen pass of an X, X is penalty" camp. I think you've still answered my question though :)

Sure, at the FP stage they are symmetrical treatments. Partner has to pass instead of double, or double instead of pass, however, I have found that the t/o treatement works better once you go past the forcing stage. For me I play FP here only up to and including two diamonds. This means we always have the option to pass out 2h undoubled. This can often be the best you can do on the board. I dont mind doubling into 180 or 280, but being forced to double them into game because my best suit is spades has never appealed to me. :)

Other than that its my meta agreement for these "value showing, desire to penalise X" that afterwards the first double reverts to t/o. So this applies when you double micheals and penalties, or a multi type bid over your 1N etc.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users