Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there any recovery?

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-January-30, 19:36

Here's the story: Playing in a top-bracket knockout against a good team, you look down after LHO has called 1, only to realize that the darn heart card has stuck to the diamond card, meaning you just overcalled Qxx instead of your good 6 card diamond suit. Worse, partner apparently has a good hand with heart support. You've managed to maintain a poker face about it, but what would you do about it? Would you make different calls over 2S and 3H? Is there any recovery from this mess?
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-January-30, 19:49

CSGibson, on 2012-January-30, 19:36, said:

Here's the story: Playing in a top-bracket knockout against a good team, you look down after LHO has called 1, only to realize that the darn heart card has stuck to the diamond card,

So, just in time to correct your bid under Law 25A1! Quickly say "oh sorry, I meant to bid 1" before your partner bids.

meaning you just overcalled Qxx instead of your good 6 card diamond suit. Worse, partner apparently has a good hand with heart support. You've managed to maintain a poker face about it, but what would you do about it? Would you make different calls over 2S and 3H? Is there any recovery from this mess?

Oh... too late now. Law 25A2: "No substitution of call may be made when his partner has made a subsequent call."

What should you do now? Well, try to make 3, I guess.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-30, 20:40

And if you go down, tell partner that it's his fault for bidding 2 too quickly, so you didn't have a chance to correct your mispull. :)

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-January-31, 00:08

I think I am finding a 3NT bid, maybe now, preferably one round earlier. Maybe partner will pass; if not, he won't have to ruff spades right away and will be able to ruff clubs in the short hand, and 4H on a 4-3 fit has a fair shot.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-01, 09:23

Actually, I suppose there's even a decent chance he has 5-card support, and stayed low because you merely overcalled.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 09:42

With the opponents bidding like this red I suspect partner is on shape for the cue and would just bid 4, keep the poker face and (hopefully) avoid the double. This hand is too good to pass up a vul game at imps. What the heck, if I bid it earlier instead of limping into it, they might even dive in 4 expecting each other to be short in hearts.

I once had a similar dilemma and made it. One opp berated his pard for not giving him a ruff and the other responded "You didn't have any trumps left".

Probably worth a round in the bar, we just don't know who's paying yet.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-09, 10:15

we have game values, so bid game, 3NT previous round would suggest that we overcalled on 4 card hearts, this will prevent partner to correct to 4 unless he has 4, moysan might have a play.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-09, 10:31

I agree that we should try 3NT now, but I bet the chances that partner will pass 3NT are probably next to zero.

So, if we are lucky, we will be playing in a 3-5 fit. More likely, we will be playing an inverted Moysian fit (3-4) or, possibly, a sub-Moysian fit (3-3). I have seen the sub-Moysian fit succeed on occasion. They are very difficult to defend.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users