BBO Discussion Forums: Another Slam Decision - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Slam Decision

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:06

12 board match. IMPs converted to VPs.

At this vulnerability, partner would open 1 with 10 or more HCP. In addition, you play NAMYATS, with the following requirements:

8 1/2 to 9 playing tricks.
No more than one side suit with two quick losers.

So, partner has less than 10 HCP and his hand does not meet our requirements for a NAMYATS opener. By the way, if he opened NAMYATS, his HCP holding would be irrelevant.

Do you pass, move towards slam or bid slam?

Edit: Nonvul (the hand diagram would have a red field under the compass directions if one or both sides were vulnerable).

#2 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:18

What is the vulnerability? I'm going to assume NV for NS.

Partner has at least 7 spade tricks, assuming he holds the generally accepted 8 spades for the 4 opener. He might have only 7 spades to the KQ if at favorable, but even then, that adds only 1 more loser.

Even with 8 spades he might have 2 losers in hearts and 1 in diamonds. It is actually possible to fail at 4 if he has something like KQxxxxxx 9xx x K.

Meanwhile I can't imagine a ton of 4 openers that would give slam a good play. Maybe KQxxxxxx x Ax xx.

It's a borderline decision IMHO to investigate slam. I'd estimate as many hands that make 4 but go down in 5, as there are hands that are safe at 5 and have a play for 6. Really close.

Something to note, though, is that there's a good chance the opponents can make 5 or 5. So investigating slam maybe a good way to shut the opponents out if one of them has a hand they really like. You might get a top with 5 doubled or undoubled down 2.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#3 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:28

I would just blackwood, even if we're down on a heart lead I want to see them lead it.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:51

I'm not used to preempts on 2 aces, so pass for me.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 17:15

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-01, 16:18, said:

What is the vulnerability? I'm going to assume NV for NS.

The bidding diagram shows everyone white. (the top frame of bidding diagram shows in red color if a side was vulnerable, if both then shows all red)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-01, 17:28

View Postwhereagles, on 2012-February-01, 16:51, said:

I'm not used to preempts on 2 aces, so pass for me.

True, but assuming we have enough keys, slam will

1. Make when partner has a stiff heart;
2. Usually make when partner has a void diamond;
3. Sometimes make when he has neither.

All in all it doesn't seem like a bad shot. To me the only question is trying to sucker the lead by not going through RKC, but at the table I am sure I would bid RKC.

By the way, I do not like the idea of 5 as an asking bid on this hand, because I cannot properly look for keys, and I lose some of my equity when 5 gets doubled.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-01, 18:30

My take on this kind of situation is to balance my assessment of the likelihood of slam against the likelihood of failure at the 5-level.

While slam might make...might even be laydown....opposite only 1 keycard.....picture AQxxxxxx x xx xx....I think most would agree that we go to slam only opposite 2 keycards.

Opposite 2 keycards, even assuming, as seems reasonable, that they are the AK , slam is excellent. It may be cold (stiff/void in hearts) or it may be on the lead...and there is no reason to expect that they will lead hearts more often than not.

So I think we have to try. I was thinking that maybe just blasting would be the most effective, but keycard can't hurt.....LHO isn't making any lead directing doubles in a 4N auction, and he isn't likely to be bidding 5 either. So 4N it is.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 18:59

Our 1st seat 4M preempts would be 8 cards and NO outside A ... ( and usually no K as well ).

Keycard will do you NO good unless partner has the A K. And you still won't lose a if he only has the Ace and not the K .

As has been pointed out, a lead may put you in jeopardy... missing the Ace as well.

But maybe it won't be led, so I'll just blast.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-01, 19:09

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-February-01, 18:59, said:

Our 1st seat 4M preempts would be 8 cards and NO outside A ... ( and usually no K as well ).

Keycard will do you NO good unless partner has the A K. And you still won't lose a if he only has the Ace and not the K .

As has been pointed out, a lead may put you in jeopardy... missing the Ace as well.

But maybe it won't be led, so I'll just blast.

I doubt that you will find many experts who agree with your contention that a 1st seat nv v nv 4 promises 8 trump. AQ109xxx x x QJxx would get a lot of votes, I think.

Btw, I think you'll get to a few more making slams than my 4N will, but you'll also reach a few more failing slams than I do.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-01, 23:37

Partner's hand was:

AKTxxxxx
Jxx
x
x

So slam depended on not getting a heart lead.

I chose to pass after thinking about this at the table for a good 2 minutes.

A club honor was led against 4. It is quite possible that the lead would be the same against 6.

The board was a push at 4 +480.

#11 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 12:44

Art, when you said the hand was a push --> was the format Teams play? i.e., 2 tables of 4?
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#12 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-02, 12:54

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-02, 12:44, said:

Art, when you said the hand was a push --> was the format Teams play? i.e., 2 tables of 4?

Yes. See the OP:

12 board match. IMPs converted to VPs.

"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-02, 12:55

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-02, 12:44, said:

In spite of all of your occasionally good analysis when you say a comment like this, it appears like you have studied bridge in a cave for ten years and just walked out.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#14 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 13:08

Ha! Somewhat true.

I've studied bridge in my home for 10 years and played tens of thousands of hands, almost all of them online, and I have never entered a tournament.

Thus I haven't learned all the nuances of all the competitive formats and was asking for clarification.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users