Another 'lower 2C rule' hand.!
Playing a 1C force with asking bids:
1C-1S(C-xfer or 8+ no suggested suit)-
2H(H-ask?)- 3C(3+H,no top)-
3D(D-ask?)- 3N(3+D,no top)-
4C(Aces?)- 4S(2)- 6-best red.
Not even a problem.
How low will 2C go???
Once was 23+HCP. Then 9+tricks. Now even 8+tricks.
When do 2C-ers decide strong starts 1C-force?
Never when 2C can be 15-shapely.

#22 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-03, 10:29

I'm sure I'll get a lot of flak for quoting Marty Bergen here, but I like what he said on the matter-->"If the idea of having your opening bid passed out at the one level makes your stomach turn, open 2."

A similar thought would be something like: "If you can make a game opposite the majority of hands that would pass opposite a 1-level opening, open 2."
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#23 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:09

I once opened 2C on a 18-count 5-5 which only needed SQxx opposite for game, and it ended in disaster. Serves me right for playing with a conservative partner perhaps, but it's scared me off, and now I want 3-loser hands or better to open 2C (when they don't have 22+ HCPs).

So I open the hand 1H, likely hear 2H from partner (assuming 5cM) and then... ugh :( Let's abuse a 3D natural game try (planning to bid game anyway). Partner bids 4D, showing diamond fit and accepting the try. Now we roll out our favourite RKC variant and get to slam (in diamonds, since partner can't have the HQ if he has two aces).

Does anyone have a good method for showing strong 6-4 hands after 1X-2X or 1X-3X? 4-level bids sound like cuebids.

ahydra

#24 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:19

I would not have opened this hand 2C. It seems like a fairly normal 1h opener, and then a 3d GF over partners one level response. I do not particularly object to a style where this is 2C. Its a pretty good hand. I also dislike 2c openers on two suited hands, and avoid them when possible, as it tends to complicate things. I don't pass much over 1M, so its less dangerous to open 1H than for some.

I would have driven a slam with two aces. There are lots of decisions about how to bid this hand. I would have just bid 6d now I suspect. I think its clear to bid 3h over 3d, and then I would expect my partners to bid 4c with this hand, then I can bid 4d last train to show my spade control. If partner signs off now I would bid 4S. if I can tempt a keycard bid form partner that will tell him everything. If partner still signs off in 5H perhaps I have done enough.

I think here since there was no cue bidding, you just have to drive a slam. I would choose 6d now, as I already showed my 3 hearts ( I would hardly show FP when I have 4 diamonds, and I must have 4D to bid 6d now). Partner can decide for himself.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#25 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 09:22

View Postahydra, on 2012-February-07, 09:09, said:

I once opened 2C on a 18-count 5-5 which only needed SQxx opposite for game, and it ended in disaster. Serves me right for playing with a conservative partner perhaps, but it's scared me off, and now I want 3-loser hands or better to open 2C (when they don't have 22+ HCPs).

So I open the hand 1H, likely hear 2H from partner (assuming 5cM) and then... ugh :( Let's abuse a 3D natural game try (planning to bid game anyway). Partner bids 4D, showing diamond fit and accepting the try. Now we roll out our favourite RKC variant and get to slam (in diamonds, since partner can't have the HQ if he has two aces).

Does anyone have a good method for showing strong 6-4 hands after 1X-2X or 1X-3X? 4-level bids sound like cuebids.

ahydra

Kokish two-way game tries work well for me. So, initially game tries, 2S= what suit would partner accept a game try in, 2n/3c/3d = short suit game tries. Here I would start with a short suit game try (0-1), and partner with two bullets for his (simple) raise, should cue, I will cue and partner will know I have a slam try with short clubs. Also makes auto splinters void showing which is useful on occasion.

After 1x-3x I play long suit cuebids. Possible to play 1h-3h-3s as Any shortage, 3N asks, since you never want to play in 3N after 1M-3M. Works well for 5431 and 6331 hands if you can show the shortage. Obviously then 1h-3h-3N = long suit spades.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users