Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misinformation

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-February-01, 15:11

2NT was intended as Lebensohl, and was marked as such on the card. North forgot and assumed it was natural, and as a result bid 3NT.

Opening lead was a low spade. NS made 8 tricks, -100.

EW claim they were damaged, and say that West would bid 3D after 2NT.

How do you rule?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 15:27

If 2NT was alertable, then they have a valid point. Might as well go ahead, give them an adjustment from +100 to +110. Yippee.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 15:40

I think they want +400, though :-) I'm not sure that N/S is going to get to 3NT after 3, but it is possible.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:00

View Postbillw55, on 2012-February-01, 15:27, said:

If 2NT was alertable, then they have a valid point. Might as well go ahead, give them an adjustment from +100 to +110. Yippee.

Maybe it's pairs.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:04

I'm not clear on the rules... but if partner forgets the meaning of my bid, and as a result ends up in the wrong contract and goes down, how exactly is the opposition damaged? I'm not clear on the ruling when partner forgets the meaning of a conventional bid. I do agree that E/W can do better than +100.

Also, I think E/W can make 11 tricks in diamonds, double-dummy, not merely 9. A heart lead can jeopardize that but is unlikely. The real loss is the value of bidding and making the 11-trick vulnerable game, not simply +110 vs. +100.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#6 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:18

View Postmycroft, on 2012-February-01, 15:40, said:

I think they want +400, though :-) I'm not sure that N/S is going to get to 3NT after 3, but it is possible.

They either alert and bid 3 or forget and bid 3NT. EW can't get both, can they?
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:18

It's not the fact that he forgot the meaning, really. It's that he failed to properly disclose the agreement he forgot. 2NT requires an alert, the opponents didn't get one. They contend that West would have bid 3 over 2NT had it been alerted. 3 does better than the +100 they got for defeating 3NT one trick. So they were damaged.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:21

That seems reasonable. This is a ruling issue much more than an analytic issue. To me, if the ruling is that they were damaged, they should get +600 for 5=.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:27

View Postdicklont, on 2012-February-01, 16:18, said:

Yes they can.

They have the benefit of knowing their opponents' agreements, and the benefit of them having forgotten those agreements.

Of course, in this case if West bids 3D, North won't be bidding 3C.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-01, 16:28

All I can say is, are you kidding me? Why would West bid 3 into a live auction when he has no fit for his partner's spade suit? Now, if 2NT were alerted as Lebensohl, why wouldn't West wait to see if the auction goes 3 - Pass - Pass back to him before bidding 3? Even then, bidding 3 is dangerous.

#11 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 18:15

View PostArtK78, on 2012-February-01, 16:28, said:

All I can say is, are you kidding me? Why would West bid 3 into a live auction when he has no fit for his partner's spade suit? Now, if 2NT were alerted as Lebensohl, why wouldn't West wait to see if the auction goes 3 - Pass - Pass back to him before bidding 3? Even then, bidding 3 is dangerous.

I wondered about this, but with such good diamonds I'm not sure it is so unreasonable. But I am curious as to how such possible actions are judged and what scores might be awarded depending on how plausible they are deemed.

#12 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 18:29

View PostArtK78, on 2012-February-01, 16:28, said:

Bidding 3 on the first round is safer and more productive than letting RHO show his suit and then backing in.

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-02, 04:25

Mayhaps a Poll of West's peers, to determine whether 3 is plausible given the correct explanation, would be in order. If it is deemed plausible, then -150 sounds fair to me.... certainly not -600.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 06:14

I dont think 3d is reasonable. Bidding here with a stiff in partners suit and a strong nt on your left is asking for trouble.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#15 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 11:01

View Postdicklont, on 2012-February-01, 16:18, said:

As Gordon said, E-W is entitled to know their *agreements*; and North is not entitled to remember. So, when ruling, we work as if South had (self-)Alerted 2NT and said it was Lebensohl, but North (who didn't hear any of this) bids as if it's natural and invitational.

So the question is, given
whether North would bid 3NT. I'm not sure they would.

I can't see them bidding 5, but I can see them making it; 4 at least. +130 is going to be a good score; +150 probably better.

So, since this is a weighted score jurisdiction, say
20% 3NT N-1 NS -100 (am I allowed to give some part of the table ruling here, because I'm not sure that West would bid?)
30% 3 W+4 NS -130
30% 3 W+5 NS -150
20% 3NT N-4 NS -400?

As someone not used to weighted scores, this is a massive shot in the dark, and corrections/suggestions are very welcome.

#16 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 11:08

View Postmycroft, on 2012-February-02, 11:01, said:

(am I allowed to give some part of the table ruling here, because I'm not sure that West would bid?)

Yes.

#17 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-06, 09:39

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-01, 16:04, said:

I'm not clear on the rules... but if partner forgets the meaning of my bid, and as a result ends up in the wrong contract and goes down, how exactly is the opposition damaged? I'm not clear on the ruling when partner forgets the meaning of a conventional bid. I do agree that E/W can do better than +100.

Also, I think E/W can make 11 tricks in diamonds, double-dummy, not merely 9. A heart lead can jeopardize that but is unlikely. The real loss is the value of bidding and making the 11-trick vulnerable game, not simply +110 vs. +100.

If there is MI then any adjustment is based on the possibility of the opponents' calls being different.

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-01, 16:21, said:

That seems reasonable. This is a ruling issue much more than an analytic issue. To me, if the ruling is that they were damaged, they should get +600 for 5=.

The norm for adjustments is a weighted score. Your ruling is only right if you are sure or very nearly that without the MI, all reasonable bidding sequences reach 5 and declarer is always or nearly always likely to make 11 tricks.

I really do not believe that this is anything like the case.

:ph34r:

Incidentally, if my partner bids a major in which I have a singleton, I feel more likely to want to bid an AKJTxx suit if the opponents seem on their way to 3NT than if they seem on their way to a part score, where I shall have a second chance anyway. So I think 3 is more likely not less over a natural 2NT so I see no damage.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-06, 14:37

View Postbluejak, on 2012-February-06, 09:39, said:

The norm for adjustments is a weighted score. Your ruling is only right if you are sure or very nearly that without the MI, all reasonable bidding sequences reach 5 and declarer is always or nearly always likely to make 11 tricks.

The norm in most of the world for adjustments is a weighted score. The OP is from England, where this norm would apply, but HighLow21 appears to be in the US, where it would not.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users