BBO Discussion Forums: Play 4S - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 4S

#1 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:statistics, bridge, sound recording and editing, crosswords, American football and baseball, making redoubled contracts (16 out of 35 and counting...)

Posted 2012-January-27, 01:31

Matchpoints, in a club game of varying strength. You bid your way to 4, South declaring, with the opponents silent, via the unsophisticated auction 1 - 2 - 4. Lefty leads the J, showing the T or shortness. Plan the play.

#2 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-27, 06:11

View Postgartinmale, on 2012-January-27, 01:31, said:

Matchpoints, in a club game of varying strength. You bid your way to 4, South declaring, with the opponents silent, via the unsophisticated auction 1 - 2 - 4. Lefty leads the J, showing the T or shortness. Plan the play.

win in hand and play a heart
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#3 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:statistics, bridge, sound recording and editing, crosswords, American football and baseball, making redoubled contracts (16 out of 35 and counting...)

Posted 2012-January-29, 02:22

Okay, I guess this one isn't that interesting. I took the above line, which seemed reasonable, and quietly went down one, losing two hearts, the spade king offside, and a club ruff. Opening leader had JT sixth of clubs.

If you want to make the hand, you need to win in dummy and at tricks 2 and 3 jettison the AK of clubs on the AK of diamonds.

I actually thought about doing this briefly at the table but discarded it because it seemed flashy and I would catch so much hell if it wasn't right.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-29, 04:29

Sounds like a rather extreme variation of a scissors coup (well, not exactly, but close enough)!

Did you manage to ruff a heart then? If you pull all the trumps it seems you lose another heart.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-29, 05:32

I'm not sure why the proposed line is better. Where is your entry to finesse spades a second time? Even if LHO can't lead a third round of hearts, what happens when he continues clubs and his partner refuses to ruff? Do we assume the J drops?

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-29, 09:08

View Postgartinmale, on 2012-January-29, 02:22, said:

Okay, I guess this one isn't that interesting. I took the above line, which seemed reasonable, and quietly went down one, losing two hearts, the spade king offside, and a club ruff. Opening leader had JT sixth of clubs.

If you want to make the hand, you need to win in dummy and at tricks 2 and 3 jettison the AK of clubs on the AK of diamonds.

I actually thought about doing this briefly at the table but discarded it because it seemed flashy and I would catch so much hell if it wasn't right.

You seem to have not nearly enough tricks if they win the first heart and play a spade through.they will get three hearts and a spade if they do it right.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#7 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-29, 20:13

Agreed. They still have to mess up, and you need the spade and heart positions to be favorable, because your entry to dummy is a heart ruff. And I don't think the line is percentage. But since the other line led to instant down one (for everyone - nobody made the hand), I thought the jettison was worth posting since I'd never seen something like it in actual play before.

I probably should have said "If you want to have a chance of making the hand", not "If you want to make the hand".

#8 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-30, 01:42

But is 6-1 clubs, even given the lead, more likely than the layout that makes on that play?

#9 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-30, 13:27

No. But despite my misuse of language earlier, I don't think I've claimed that the jettison is percentage.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users