Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rate the insanity of the players Teams, county league

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-27, 16:31

8 players, at least 6 of whom have been regular county A team players in recent past or present perpetrated the following 2 auction atrocities, rate each player at each table somewhere between completely barking mad and relatively sane, I'm not revealing at this stage where I sat at which table.

Table 1:

Table 2:

Result +800 at both tables to the team EW at table 1, 16 IMPS

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 17:18

On a scale of 0 to 10 (where 10 is that guy running a marathon on each continent in 5 days):

S1: 2
W1: 3
N1: 8
E1: 9

S2: 7
W2: 0
N2: 4
E2: 0

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 17:25

Table 1
East: DBL was insane
West: 4S was close to normal ( 3S would have done the job ) giving partner's reopening T/O DBL.

North: Must have believed 4S was making and thought a white/red 5D would be a good save.

N/S got "fixed" by the insane DBL.

Table 2
Doesn't South know what "all over the place" preempts partner can make ?
No way 3NT can be right even if 3C was bid on A K 7th....takes an entry to just get to the Clubs... doubtful 2nd entry even if Clubs split 3-3.
N/S deserve each other.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-27, 18:08

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-January-27, 17:18, said:

On a scale of 0 to 10 (where 10 is that guy running a marathon on each continent in 5 days):

Using your scale.
S1: 1
E1: 10

W2: 9*
N2: 7

*He is on lead with what appears to be a running heart suit and two side suits stopped, including the aforementioned club suit, I would be very happy to be west on lead against 3nt.

#5 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-27, 20:52

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-January-27, 18:08, said:

Using your scale.
S1: 1
E1: 10

W2: 9*
N2: 7

*He is on lead with what appears to be a running heart suit and two side suits stopped, including the aforementioned club suit, I would be very happy to be west on lead against 3nt.

And collecting 50 per undertrick into a vulnerable game, most of the time.

Ironic that the side that collected the 800s at each table was clearly the more insane.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 21:34

Imo some of the votes assigned here are equally interesting as some of those insane bids.

W2 being assigned zero is a mystery to me. What was he supposed to do ? To know that one opponent open 3 clubs with Qxxxxx and other one was on extacy and bid 3 NT with zero and bail out or DBL and expect pd to lead ? Looks to me w2 was the most sane among all others, as well as E2. W1 was understandable. Rest of them were just having fun imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-28, 01:06

W1´s 4 is pretty insane. What are you doing with all those hearts? ruffing them with AKxx? partner is a passed hand! I have a lot of worries finding a single hand that might make game.

W2 has the lead, he might have some fancy agreements about double, but other than that I think not doubling is pretty bad. You have the lead, a suit to run and A.

My ranking

S2 for bidding 3NT wich he knows is hopeless
E1 for doubling on 2155
W1 for bidding an almost hopeless 4
N1 for bidding 5 to defend with a defensive hand
S1 for bidding 2 with 4 cards and low ODR
W2 for bidding 4 instead of double
N2 who jus topened a sick preemptive at favourable
E2 who did nothing wrong.

EDITED cos I had 2*N1 and no N2

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-January-28, 02:34

One system note I would add, EW1 play very sound simple overcalls (and very random WJOs which aren't going to happen at unfavourable), so there is a much better chance than you'd expect of E holding 5 spades here.

I think 2 by S1 is the worst bid here, more suggestive of void, Jxxxxx, AKQxx, Kx than what he actually has, tied with E1's X.

#9 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-January-28, 04:31

In ascending order:

E2 was blameless
W2 was virtually blameless. He doesn't want 50s out of 3NT, and double is usually not played as penalties, and even if it is they aren't going to stand it. Obviously if he knows South well, he should double, but usually I bid on the assumption that either opponents know what they are doing or I'll win heavily anyway.
N2 was blameless if he was bidding within system, otherwise it depends how far away he was from partnership style. My partner is very random first NV, but I don't think even he would find that one (I'll ask him later), and certainly not against random East Anglia county players (he is more random against better players, in general).

S1 4/10. What's wrong with 1S over the double?

N1 7/10. I'd expect this to be going for quite a lot on the obvious trump lead, because RHO obviously has a heart stack, and they haven't made 4S yet. This could easily be -500 against +100 and I doubt it will be cheap.

W1 8/10. 4S is barmy. Where are 10 tricks coming from? I'd rather bid 4H, it's more likely to be making.
E1 9/10. By a passed hand, what's wrong with longest-suit-at-lowest-level. He's gambling that partner is going to pass 1Hx but that's a very very narrow target

S2 9/10. Why does he think 3NT is making? He wants his LHO to bid, not to discourage him.

The players at table 1 deserve each other.

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-January-28, 04:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-January-28, 02:34, said:

One system note I would add, EW1 play very sound simple overcalls (and very random WJOs which aren't going to happen at unfavourable), so there is a much better chance than you'd expect of E holding 5 spades here.

I don't understand. Are you saying that a passed hand 1S overcall in the protective position shows more HCP than a passed hand double in the same seat? I suggest you change your methods.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-January-28, 05:28

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-January-28, 04:33, said:

I don't understand. Are you saying that a passed hand 1S overcall in the protective position shows more HCP than a passed hand double in the same seat? I suggest you change your methods.

No, but I'd expect a 5044 or 51(43) to double rather than bid S given that partner is quite likely to be sitting with a hand (but not a big enough one to make game) and a heart stack begging for the double.

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-28, 08:02

EW on table 2 are exempt from blame. Other than that all players took very dubious actions.

#13 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-28, 12:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-January-28, 05:28, said:

No, but I'd expect a 5044 or 51(43) to double rather than bid S given that partner is quite likely to be sitting with a hand (but not a big enough one to make game) and a heart stack begging for the double.

extra points for anyone who would double rather than bid spades with 5044 shape.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-January-28, 17:25

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-January-28, 12:37, said:

extra points for anyone who would double rather than bid spades with 5044 shape.

I'd already sat over an opening bid with KQJ9xx of opener's suit once, it was that sort of set of boards, and partner clearly made a very bent double so I could pass it, so I'm sure he would have done similar on a 5044. It is so likely I have sort of 13 with 5+ hearts here, that he will double with pretty much anything with short hearts and no really long suit.

The board was all over the place, I'd love to know where the 1400 that was dialled at one table came from (with 5 top tricks, S somehow contrived to only make 3 of them in 3Nx).

Another auction was 3-P-P-3-P-3N-X-4-P-P-X-P-P-P

An awful lot of carnage was caused.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users