• You cannot reply to this topic

Any rectification? Misbid/MI in Germany

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:19

German team trials, screens are in use.

On the NE side of the screen, 2 was explained as weak 2 and 2 as natural, NF. On the SW side of the screen, 2 was explained as "18-19 balanced, no 5-card major", 2 as transfer to spades, and pass as "I guess he forgot the system again."

The convention card does say that 2 is "18-19 bal.", the followups are not explained. EW are a regular partnership who have changed their system in this and other aspects in recent months.

2W went down 5, the other room had 4N=, so the NOS lost 3 IMPs.

The NOS argues that North might have gotten into the auction with a double given correct explanations.

A poll in the BBF A/E Forum ( http://www.bridgebas...age__mode__show ) has 14 passes and 4 doubles with the North cards given the explanations from the SW side of the screen.

Your ruling?

Note: the on-site TD conducted a smaller poll resulting in 5 passes and 0 doubles. I am mainly interested in how you would rule given the BBF poll results.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:30

i'd like to go for a split ruling.

south was given correct information and passing 2 out to me looks like a serious error, not connected to the original MI given to north.

i can well believe many norths would X 2 for the lead given correct information so i don't feel EW should keep the table score.

the bar is set quite high though for a serious error so i suppose we must relent on south, so weighted rulings all round.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:35

wank, on 2012-January-26, 10:30, said:

i'd go for a split ruling.

south was given correct information and passing 2 out to me looks like a serious error,

It may have been a bad decision, but I think far from SEWoG. Before his final pass South also asked carefully about the bidding alternatives West had etc., so it's not like he just shrugged and thought "oh well, who cares".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:36

Addressing just the poll, as requested in the small print of the OP:

The question of the poll, on either BBF or at the scene in effect was whether North would make a lead-directing double of a transfer after his lefty had shown a super strong 1NT opening bid. It is not surprising that four forum posters would double. But, I would go with the zero number by selected peers at the site.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:41

mgoetze, on 2012-January-26, 10:19, said:

A poll in the BBF A/E Forum ( http://www.bridgebas...age__mode__show ) has 14 passes and 4 doubles with the North cards given the explanations from the SW side of the screen.

Your ruling?

I conduct another poll where North is given the correct desciption of EW understandings: card says 18-19 BAL but he has forgotten before, 2 is a transfer to spades, but if he thinks 2 is weak then 2 is NF.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:42

mgoetze, on 2012-January-26, 10:35, said:

It may have been a bad decision, but I think far from SEWoG. Before his final pass South also asked carefully about the bidding alternatives West had etc., so it's not like he just shrugged and thought "oh well, who cares".

i was busy editing my original post to relent on south while you were typing your's evidently

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:45

aguahombre, on 2012-January-26, 10:36, said:

The question of the poll, on either BBF or at the scene in effect was whether North would make a lead-directing double of a transfer after his lefty had shown a super strong 1NT opening bid. It is not surprising that four forum posters would double. But, I would go with the zero number by selected peers at the site.

Personally I would consider it quite fair to say that two of the doublers in the BBF poll are peers of the NS pair here.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:49

RMB1, on 2012-January-26, 10:41, said:

I conduct another poll where North is given the correct desciption of EW understandings: card says 18-19 BAL but he has forgotten before, 2 is a transfer to spades, but if he thinks 2 is weak then 2 is NF.

This sort of poll of course screams "TD case" very loudly. Of course if you are the TD of the event approaching players on-site, it's pretty obvious anyway. The nice thing about BBF is that you can conduct a poll without people realising immediately that UI or MI must be involved. But feel free. :)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:52

mgoetze, on 2012-January-26, 10:45, said:

Personally I would consider it quite fair to say that two of the doublers in the BBF poll are peers of the NS pair here.

O.K. But, that would seem to be an indicting opinion of North and his peers. The liklihood of 2HXX rapped around N/S's neck for a number in the 1900 range seems greatly increased if the opener has some balanced 18-19.

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 10:58

aguahombre, on 2012-January-26, 10:52, said:

O.K. But, that would seem to be an indicting opinion of North and his peers. The liklihood of 2HXX rapped around N/S's neck for a number in the 1900 range seems greatly increased if the opener has some balanced 18-19.

I'm also pretty sure the two people I mentioned would be happy to play you for money.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 11:05

wank, on 2012-January-26, 10:30, said:

the bar is set quite high though for a serious error so i suppose we must relent on south, so weighted rulings all round.

I agree with others it is not quite SeWoG, but if you do not give North a double of 2H, then the score would stand, so there would be no weighted ruling. I prefer RMB1's approach, that North is entitled to know that East has forgotten before (assuming he has, based on West's remark). South is also entitled to know that East has forgotten before, and will then surely bid, 2NT or something, and they will get to game in hearts. So, 4H = and a flat board seems close to the mark.

And I confess in the other thread I had noticed North had passed. Perhaps I should double; the people who doubled counted as several votes for me.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#12 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 11:14

I wonder are there not penalties for a player repeatedly forgetting their system as stated here?

Also would it not be best for south to call the director before his final pass once he is told that? I would not even understand how the hand is playable at this point but in any case I would ask the director for protection and what my options are here.

Sidenote when I play bridge for money I get to play with everyone as my partner at the table over the evening.

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 11:27

mike777, on 2012-January-26, 11:14, said:

Also would it not be best for south to call the director before his final pass once he is told that?

And what exactly is that supposed to accomplish?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-January-26, 11:29

mgoetze, on 2012-January-26, 11:27, said:

And what exactly is that supposed to accomplish?

As I stated I would ask for protection and want to know what my options are here. I would also ask what if any options my partner has at this late point.

I would also ask if there are any penalties or bridge laws broken by rho repeatedly forgetting his system and how could I protect myself.

#15 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 11:54

mike777, on 2012-January-26, 11:29, said:

As I stated I would ask for protection

Pointless.

and want to know what my options are here.

Probably something like pass, double, 2NT or 3, but the TD is not there to give you bridge advice.

I would also ask what if any options my partner has at this late point.

You don't even know what explanation your partner received and the TD is hardly going to tell you at this point. In any case, it's not your partner's turn to call. When it's his turn again his options are likely to be a spade, a heart, a diamond or a club.

I would also ask if there are any penalties or bridge laws broken by rho repeatedly forgetting his system and how could I protect myself.

This can certainly wait until you've had a chance to find out whether RHO did, in fact, forget his system. For all you know he might be psyching.

I guess you've never played with screens before.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-26, 11:56

mgoetze, on 2012-January-26, 10:58, said:

I'm also pretty sure the two people I mentioned would be happy to play you for money.

They certainly would be; but I decline...am woefully uneducated on the nuances of money bridge. However, I suspect a whole lot of the 19 passers from the two polls would be willing to accept.

#17 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-January-26, 12:09

mgoetze, on 2012-January-26, 11:54, said:

Pointless.

Probably something like pass, double, 2NT or 3, but the TD is not there to give you bridge advice.

You don't even know what explanation your partner received and the TD is hardly going to tell you at this point. In any case, it's not your partner's turn to call. When it's his turn again his options are likely to be a spade, a heart, a diamond or a club.

This can certainly wait until you've had a chance to find out whether RHO did, in fact, forget his system. For all you know he might be psyching.

I guess you've never played with screens before.

so you tell me i have no legal options and no protection...i am just suppose to bid and shut up is the msg you send.

#18 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-January-26, 15:08

The problem with the BBF poll is the many of the posters, and hence potentially many of the voters, did not read the auction before commenting (voting). Once you remove the people who didn't realise you were a passed hand, and those who thought 2D was a multi, you don't know what's left.

#19 User is offline   joostb1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-26, 15:32

Although NS can guess something has gone wrong with the bidding of EW, I don't think you can blame them for not getting in 4. So I correct the score to 4= for NS. Besides I would seriously consider a PP for EW. At this level you should know your system.
I would suggest to the original poster not to reply to or discuss every single answer he gets. You asked your question and it would be wise to see what replies you get.

#20 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-February-03, 18:00

I wonder are there not penalties for a player repeatedly forgetting their system as stated here?

He had forgotten before does not quite have the same flavour as "repeatedly forgetting" which I do not think was said. But anyway, the idea of penalising players for forgetting their system has been basically shown to be undesirable. It is a fact, forgotten very quickly by those who get a bad board from a forget, that forgets get bad boards far more often than good. I personally would like my opponents to forget their system often and would expect to gain seriously thereby.

Also would it not be best for south to call the director before his final pass once he is told that? I would not even understand how the hand is playable at this point but in any case I would ask the director for protection and what my options are here.

I cannot understand how the hand cannot be playable: everyone has got thirteen cards and there are four people at the table, yes? Of course it is playable. The normal method of dealing with MI is by adjustment at the end.

You do not communicate across a screen so calling the TD seems pointless. You decide what to do, and play the hand. The TD will not tell your partner what has happened your side of the screen during the hand. So I really do not see the point in calling the TD now.

:ph34r:

However, South's pass of 2 interests me. I should ask what else E/W had played, presumably getting the answer that they used to play 2 as weak. I know someone decided that the pass of 2 was not a serious error, but is it not a classical gambling double shot attempt? If West has passed as dealer and East seems to have a weak 2 the only reason for passing is to get the game at the end if it makes by a ruling, and a small plus without a ruling if game does not make.

I am not sure whether we should adjust for E/W but South's gamble will get no adjustment under Law 12C1D [cited from memory, please adjust if necessary]. Yes, I know we do not just say "no redress" any more, but if [for example] we decide N/S can make 4 then the full adjustment between table score and 4 is what the gamble cost, so in this case it is a no redress case for N/S.

:ph34r:

Note that 'Review the complete topic (launches new window)' which did not work with IE9 seems to work with Google Chrome! :)
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users