Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bid the excellent slam

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-22, 07:33

This was our auction. 1D was 4+ and 1S showed an unbalanced hand. Can you do any better?

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-March-22, 07:55

North did fine, so did south till 3 . I guess he now knows that partner is 4144 or 4054. If he looks at his own hand, he can see a spade, a heart, 3 heart ruffs and 5 diamonds for a total of 10 tricks opposite a yarbourough. But partner did open. So, he needs to make (at least) one more try. I would bid 4 to show my club weakness. Over this partner will surely cooperate in whatever way you have here- maybe with KC, maybe with further controls...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-22, 08:20

1(4+)-2(inv+ 4+ not denying 4M)
2(nat)-3(extras nat)
4(KC)-4(0/3)
4N(Q ?)- 5N (yes, no side Ks, while partner may only have 4 diamonds he more often has 5)

#4 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-22, 13:16

If you were North I have to congratulate you. You bid in perfect accordance to your nick. Well done.

I mean - 3!?! Come on. Drke drke džo bridge all around.

In constructive auctions level three is best used for patterning out (with the possibility of using 3M as advanced cuebid, if such player afterwards pulls out 3NT to 4m - but this is a treatment I wouldn't suggest since it can create more problems than benefits). Here, North's shape was pretty well defined with 3 (4144, maybe 4054), therefore, there's no need to use the confusing (because it cannot carry pattern-out connotations anymore) 3 bid which could and should hardly be read as a pure slammish cue.

The vital question for South is, how strong North's hand is. North indeed has a fairly good hand which fits perfectly into partners forward going 3. To avoid any misunderstanding, North should bid a clear and robust 4 over 3: showing direction, showing cue, probably denying 4054 (4 with that?) on the way. Afterwards not finding 6 is almost impossible, whatever you do.

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-22, 15:18

As noted, 3C patterned out.
3D showed the real reason for 4th suit GF ( 2H! ) with 4+ support .

As far as 3S is concerned, it is the cheapest cuebid -- showing 2 of the top 3 honors in North's side-suit ( a la Italian cuebids ) .

South doesn't have a -Ctrl so bids 4D.
North's next options are( a la Zelandakh ) :
4H! = next step, negative for slam ( most probably would not have a -Ctrl either)
Next 4 steps are RKC showing, positive for slam ( implying Ctrl:
4S = 0/3
4NT = 1/4
5C = 2 - Q
5D = 2 + Q

After:
North
4S ( 0/3 ) - 4NT ( Q-ask )
5D ( no Q ) - 6D
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-March-22, 19:10

Playing inquiry2over1 (google it or search for the strong 3 suiter thread on this method on this forum), this is how the bidding could go.

2 - 2
2NT - 3
3 - 3
3 - 4
4 - 5
6 - pass

The bidding is:
2 - can be three suiter with at least 5 controls and and 5 or fewer losers, this is a minimum
2 - semipositive or better
2NT - any three suiter (4441 or 5440), 5+ controls, 5 or fewer "losers"
3 - asking for shortness and general loser count
3 - short heart, 4 or 5 losers
3 - asking type of shortness (singleton or void) and actual loser count
3 - singleton heart, five losers
4 - asking controls
4 - Minimum (5 controls, A=2, K =1)
5 - Asking lowest suit missing the queen
6 - I have spade queen and club queen, no diamond queen
pass - you have either
KQxx x Axxx AQxx (plus or minus a few jacks)... or
Qxxx x Axxx AKQx (this hand would probably not be opened 2, because the very shakeness of Qxxx as only two losers)

Note is opener held KQxx x AQxx Axxx (same five losers), he would show no club queen and a grand slam would be considered.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-24, 09:36

View Postwank, on 2013-March-22, 07:33, said:

This was our auction. 1D was 4+ and 1S showed an unbalanced hand. Can you do any better?

if p had an invitational hand with diamonds they would have bid 3d over 1s--
since they went through 4th suit forcing then bid 3d (vs 3n when opener
patterned out) they are showing slam interest. Opener should realize this
and bid 3h to show 4144 and extra values. Should be easy to reach 6d
from there and plenty of room to search for 7.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-27, 20:18

View PostPoky, on 2013-March-22, 13:16, said:

If you were North I have to congratulate you. You bid in perfect accordance to your nick. Well done.

In constructive auctions level three is best used for patterning out (with the possibility of using 3M as advanced cuebid, if such player afterwards pulls out 3NT to 4m - but this is a treatment I wouldn't suggest since it can create more problems than benefits). Here, North's shape was pretty well defined with 3 (4144, maybe 4054), therefore, there's no need to use the confusing (because it cannot carry pattern-out connotations anymore) 3 bid which could and should hardly be read as a pure slammish cue.

The vital question for South is, how strong North's hand is. North indeed has a fairly good hand which fits perfectly into partners forward going 3. To avoid any misunderstanding, North should bid a clear and robust 4 over 3: showing direction, showing cue, probably denying 4054 (4 with that?) on the way. Afterwards not finding 6 is almost impossible, whatever you do.

Deleted
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 06:07

View PostPoky, on 2013-March-22, 13:16, said:

OK, I'll have a go at defending North!

From his point of view, South has not not promised four diamonds (3532 16 count for example, catering to the 4054) and opposite four trumps, you need him to have a lot of working cards to get to 12 tricks, so North really can't go slamming. 3NT will generally play better from the South hand, so 3 (which just shows good spades and is in no way confusing) is a sensible bid.

South has five-card support and good controls, so he should probably bid 4. Sure, once in a while partner has KQJx x AQJx Jxxx, so it could be wrong to go on, but on balance I think it is best and they will not always find the lead when we are wrong. Very close though.

Overall, I do not think anyone did anything terrible.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-10, 05:23

View Postinquiry, on 2013-March-22, 19:10, said:

Playing inquiry2over1 (google it or search for the strong 3 suiter thread on this method on this forum), this is how the bidding could go.

This is arguably a little light for a Ryall-style 2 3-suited opening - he specifies 16 with very good controls as the minimum, although I daresay you have different criteria. I also play something along those lines after a strong (one) club and would not do it with this hand since my floor is a little higher. Instead:

1 = 10-17, 4+ diamonds, unbal
... - 1 = INV+ relay
1NT = 4+ spades, <4 hearts
... - 2 = GF relay
2 = 3-suited with short hearts
... - 2
3 = 4144, max
... - 3 = relay
3NT = 5 controls
... - 4 = relay
4NT = controls in all suits except hearts
... - 5 = relay