• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#501 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-08, 11:03

View PostThiros, on 2013-July-08, 00:56, said:

Loud construction work going on outside my window before about 10 in the morning.

Google maps came through and put my home on. Judging from the construction equipment in the front yard it was in either May, June, July, August or September
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#502 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 12:11

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-08, 09:07, said:

Hmm, never real noticed that, but you're right: John Wilkes Booth, James Earl Ray and Lee Harvey Oswald. But not Sirhan Sirhan or Jack Ruby.

Booth killed Lincoln, Ray killed Martin Luther King (3 names!), and Oswald killed JFK. I'm not aware that any of them was accused of multiple murders or of being a serial killer.

It's common these days to call people by their last names, even people you don't know. Once upon a time, that was considered rude. In fact, the norm when addressing strangers was to use Mr. or Mrs. or whatever and their last name. Nowadays when you're introduced to "Judy Jones" you usually start calling her Judy immediately. Times — and mores — change.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#503 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-09, 10:56

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-July-08, 12:11, said:

Booth killed Lincoln, Ray killed Martin Luther King (3 names!), and Oswald killed JFK. I'm not aware that any of them was accused of multiple murders or of being a serial killer.

I was just thinking of (in)famous murderers, not specifically of the mass variety. Are the latter mostly 3-named?

#504 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-09, 11:00

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-July-08, 10:52, said:

I'm not familiar with the specific case, but if some people know him as James and others know him as Whitey, then you're well advised to cover the bases. Not everyone is known universally by the same name.

I think he was mostly known by his nickname -- before he was caught, that's how I mostly remember news reports referring to him. I think they feel the need to be more formal now that they're reporting on the trial, so they use his given name. But it still grates on me when they throw them together -- I doubt ANYONE ever called him "James Whitey". His family probably called him James (or Jimmy, I'll bet), everyone else knew him as Whitey.

#505 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-09, 15:50

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-09, 10:56, said:

I was just thinking of (in)famous murderers, not specifically of the mass variety. Are the latter mostly 3-named?

That was the assertion that Mike777 made, and to which you replied. :ph34r:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#506 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-09, 16:34

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-09, 10:56, said:

Well, there's Son Of Sam ...
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#507 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-10, 10:23

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-July-09, 15:50, said:

That was the assertion that Mike777 made, and to which you replied. :ph34r:

Problem was he didn't actually give any examples. So when I started searching my memory, the ones that came to mind were murderers of famous people, not mass murderers.

Wikipedia has a list of serial killers, of course. It doesn't look like having 3 names is common among them.

#508 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-10, 10:48

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-10, 10:23, said:

Problem was he didn't actually give any examples. So when I started searching my memory, the ones that came to mind were murderers of famous people, not mass murderers.

Wikipedia has a list of serial killers, of course. It doesn't look like having 3 names is common among them.

What is it with Columbia and child killers.

#509 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-22, 12:16

Staunch NY style pizza puritans who argue that Chicago-style is something other than pizza.

Chicago-style is still pizza. EAD.
OK
bed

#510 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-23, 07:49

They have pizza in the US?!?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#511 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-23, 09:17

That's such a silly argument. Pizza differs greatly from region to region, so it's become an extremely general term. Almost anything with sauce and/or cheese on top of bread and baked in an oven can be called "pizza". And most people simply prefer the style they grew up on, and consider everything else "ersatz".

#512 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-23, 14:07

I traveled to Wisconsin last week. Looking at the map, I was reminded of my longtime annoyance at upper Michigan. It should just be a part of Wisconsin IMO. No real significance to this, it has just always bugged me.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#513 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-23, 14:56

Go get a DVD of "How the States Got Their Shapes", there's an episode that discusses how Michigan happened.

#514 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-23, 18:57

View Postbillw55, on 2013-July-23, 14:07, said:

I traveled to Wisconsin last week. Looking at the map, I was reminded of my longtime annoyance at upper Michigan. It should just be a part of Wisconsin IMO. No real significance to this, it has just always bugged me.

Go find a map of the Northwest Angle in Minnesota. Does it seem to you like this should belong to Canada?

#515 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-24, 08:09

View Postbd71, on 2013-July-23, 18:57, said:

Go find a map of the Northwest Angle in Minnesota. Does it seem to you like this should belong to Canada?

Yes! We should give it as a present ;)
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#516 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-July-24, 17:29

View Postbd71, on 2013-July-23, 18:57, said:

The initial establishment of Angle Township being in the United States was due to a map-maker's error. Benjamin Franklin and British representatives established the initial U.S. and Canadian borders in the Treaty of Paris in 1783 from the Mitchell Map of colonial American geographer John Mitchell, which mis-represented the source of the Mississippi River.

http://en.wikipedia....Northwest_Angle

#517 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-25, 08:35

View Postbillw55, on 2013-July-24, 08:09, said:

Yes! We should give it as a present ;)

They gave us William Shatner and Michael J Fox. We owe them.

#518 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-25, 10:55

Hey, for our credit, we also gave you Alan Thicke. Partial repayment, right (*)?

(oh, and I love that scene in Canadian Bacon where they scroll up all the 'subversives' that have infiltrated the USA, 'taking our jobs'. The first minute or so)

(*) riffing off an 80's comic's routine "You gave us the ozone hole and acid rain. We gave you Alan Thicke. I guess we're even." Apologies to the Thickes, Sr. and Jr. for the obvious maligning.)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#519 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 10:42

There's something that really irritates in some Bridge discussions, though it's a lot more common over at Bridgewinners: there are some people who seem compelled to spout bridge memes. They go into any discussion looking for opportunities to use expressions like "the boss suit", "beer card", "it's a bidder's game" etc, which really add very little to the discussion.
Of course, occasionally these expressions do mean something and they might even be relevant. I'm referring, however, to the phenomenon wherein some posters go into threads and make comments like "I wish you held the 7 so you could squeeze him with the beer card". Bleh.

#520 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-06, 13:58

I keep thinking that I should learn about the beer card, and then I think why should i? And it's a bidders game except when it isn't. Really saying that in close decisions you should bid simply moves the line for close decisions to another spot. I agree that this adds nothing to a discussion. There is a lot of nonsense like this. We are advised that some percentage or other of the times that we double a contract it is supposed to make, otherwise we are not doubling enough. Well, maybe so, but we still need to select the right times, not just the right percentage. Saying that "bridge is a game of choices and you won't always be right" is pablum, but at least it makes sense.
Ken

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users