View PostScarabin, on 2012-December-07, 21:14, said:

"twas brillig and the slithey toves..."

"didst swallow toothpaste by the tube"

#362 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-22, 04:38

At a social club on thursday: somebody asked for a drink at the bar, the waiter explained that after 20:00 no alcohol could be sold at the bar, the reaction of the guy was this: this club depends on city hall, I am from the city hall you must do what I order. He had no luck with his flawless logic so he went into threatening by filling paper-complaints about the club, the waiter, etc. He left without a drink.

People who think/know they have better/more rights than others makes me sick.

#363 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-22, 06:52

You did not total your car. The idiot driving the other car totaled your car. Sorry to hear it. Hope you're okay. Hope the guy has insurance or money, in which case enjoy your Christmas present from him of a new car. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#364 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-22, 23:47

View PostPhil, on 2012-December-22, 03:21, said:

Sure it sucks. But not nearly as bad as the moronic comments I've been hearing.

"Oh my God, you are so lucky you walked away from that terrible accident".

Oh, did you think maybe it was a perhaps a stroke of bad luck that me and my car got mangled?

Sure, your car is totalled, but it could have been much worse. That's not good luck? You don't think it matters that you're walking about rather than laying in a hospital bed with broken bones?

#365 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-December-23, 00:13

View Postbarmar, on 2012-December-22, 23:47, said:

Sure, your car is totalled, but it could have been much worse. That's not good luck? You don't think it matters that you're walking about rather than laying in a hospital bed with broken bones?

Sure it matters, but its not good luck. This *****s up my life something fierce.

"Hi, you have a terminal illness, but guess what! You have a whole two years to live. Others with your condition get only one".

"Well, bad news, we have to let you go. But you get two months severance instead of one that we gave those folks in marketing. Isn't that great?"

"Good news, its not herpes, just a case of chlamydia"

I think its nice that good-intentioned people like to put a positive spin on unfortunate events, but it does not change the fact that they are a setback.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#366 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-December-23, 00:58

"I think its nice that good-intentioned people like to put a positive spin on unfortunate events, but it does not change the fact that they are a setback"

Phil good point:

"Wear your best for your execution and stand dignified. Your last recourse against randomness is how you act — if you can’t control outcomes, you can control the elegance of your behaviour. You will always have the last word"

#367 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-23, 10:45

Sounds like something Heinlein might have said. :)

"Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet, you can't win." --From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#368 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-04, 07:15

People that underline, highlight and annotate library books. Even if it's in pencil, or useful* comments.

* that said, I borrowed a short score from the University library to find some very helpful notes about recurring themes.

#369 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-January-04, 07:22

Not really a peeve but a related bafflement, some people highlight up to 70% of the text in their own books, does that kind of highlighting really help anyone other than highlighter companies?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#370 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-04, 07:32

View PostPhil, on 2012-December-22, 03:21, said:

Totaled my car today (truth). Some peabrain tried to beat a yellow and then a red. Unfortunately I was in his way and got t-boned. And, consistent with the human scum that drives like that, he left the scene. We did find his car a few hours later fortunately.

Sure it sucks. But not nearly as bad as the moronic comments I've been hearing.

"Oh my God, you are so lucky you walked away from that terrible accident".

Oh, did you think maybe it was a perhaps a stroke of bad luck that me and my car got mangled?

:angry:

FML

Last May 1, Becky was going from the kitchen into the garage. You go down two steps, the visuals are not great, she was carrying some stuff, anyway I heard some screaming like I had never heard from her. She had tumbled, it turned out to be a broken tibia, a broken fibula, and three broken metatarsals. OK, in fact it was lucky that I was at home. That one I am comfortable with thinking of as good luck, and I have since been better about carrying the cell when I am out. But the doc mentioned that she was lucky that she did not strike her head and get a concussion. What? Sure, and it's lucky she didn't fall on a knife and stab herself. Or fall on something else and poke her eye out. Or... Good grief. Of course however bad things are a little imagination can show how they could be worse, but maybe a guy could keep those thoughts to himself.

Sorry about your car. And Becky's bones have healed. It was a serious drag for her.
Ken

#371 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-04, 11:15

View PostAnt590, on 2013-January-04, 07:15, said:

People that underline, highlight and annotate library books. Even if it's in pencil, or useful* comments.

* that said, I borrowed a short score from the University library to find some very helpful notes about recurring themes.
Heh, I have another one of those (music again). We found a copy of the vocal score of Walton's Belshazzar's Feast, only to find that one line had been highlighted throughout. It was really annoying to try to parse - until I took it to a performance.

The previous owner was a top tenor (and clearly, it was his line highlighted throughout). But almost every pageturn changed the scoring, be it from SSAATTBB to 4-part, or to 4-part men, or solo S, or whatever. Without preparation, I would never have been able to know where my line was on a pageturn, no matter what my part was; and even seeing one line lit up, whether it was the first, or third, or fifth (I think at one point it was sixth, with [solo]SSAATTBB) made it easier to understand what the whole scoring was on that page.

Having said that, it was not a library book. I even more strongly agree with you on items that aren't the owner's (save music, again; notations, in pencil, on performance or crazy tricky bits, can be of use to the next one along anyway - in a performing music library).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#372 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-04, 11:31

View Postkenberg, on 2013-January-04, 07:32, said:

But the doc mentioned that she was lucky that she did not strike her head and get a concussion. What? Sure, and it's lucky she didn't fall on a knife and stab herself. Or fall on something else and poke her eye out. Or... Good grief. Of course however bad things are a little imagination can show how they could be worse,

The difference is that most of those other "worse" things are also very unlikely, so it goes without saying. Hitting your head during a fall like that is probably pretty common, it may actually take some good luck to avoid it.

#373 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-04, 13:22

View Postmycroft, on 2013-January-04, 11:15, said:

Heh, I have another one of those (music again). We found a copy of the vocal score of Walton's Belshazzar's Feast, only to find that one line had been highlighted throughout. It was really annoying to try to parse - until I took it to a performance.

The previous owner was a top tenor (and clearly, it was his line highlighted throughout). But almost every pageturn changed the scoring, be it from SSAATTBB to 4-part, or to 4-part men, or solo S, or whatever. Without preparation, I would never have been able to know where my line was on a pageturn, no matter what my part was; and even seeing one line lit up, whether it was the first, or third, or fifth (I think at one point it was sixth, with [solo]SSAATTBB) made it easier to understand what the whole scoring was on that page.

Having said that, it was not a library book. I even more strongly agree with you on items that aren't the owner's (save music, again; notations, in pencil, on performance or crazy tricky bits, can be of use to the next one along anyway - in a performing music library).

If it's mine, what I highlight and what I don't is my business and no one else's. If it's not mine, I don't touch it except to read. I don't, regrettably, read music, so I can't comment on that aspect, but again, I'm inclined not to deface property that isn't mine, however helpful it might be. Of course, if I did read music, and bought or found a previously owned piece, and it was highlighted or annotated in a helpful way, I'd probably be happy about that. I'm generally not happy about used books that are marked up though, helpful or not.
--------------------

#374 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2013-January-08, 08:31

Yeah..... FOX advertising New Girl or any of their other trash sitcoms during the Colbert Report or the Daily Show. Hello-o-o-o? This is Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert you're dealing with, who do you think their audience is exactly? You're FOX, you are the ENEMY.

#375 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-January-08, 08:38

New Girl is actually quite funny for some reason.
      George Carlin

#376 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 12:37

FOX Television != FOX News, except for where the money goes.

FOX Television has been known for a lot of shows for years that the DS/CR audience have religiously watched. Some of them even watch FOX Sports. The D(r_)ead Hand of Murdoch doesn't interfere too often in the politics of the FOX non-News shows (when it does, everybody hears about it!) So unless you're a "Never give FOX anything because they funnel it into Faux News" type, I don't see why it's a problem.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#377 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-09, 11:48

View Postmycroft, on 2013-January-08, 12:37, said:

FOX Television != FOX News, except for where the money goes.

Indeed -- "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" have been known to make fun of Fox News.

#378 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-January-10, 07:26

'there are few' when they mean 'there are a few'
      George Carlin

#379 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 09:58

People you have barely met who feel free to try to involve you in their personal dramas to the point of making a choice necessary;1. to be rudely direct (since anything less is ignored) and hope their weirdness doesn't then become directed at you, or 2. to try to walk a thin and stressful line of being polite while hanging onto some degree of distance with a death grip. This means continuing to be subjected to painful play by play recaps of everything they are going through ad nauseum. (Of course nothing constructive ever ever comes out of any of it, that's clearly not the point.)

It's nice to have the forums to vent in, thank you BBO!

#380 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-March-16, 04:13

Inexplicable animated gifs from the Muppet Show.
      George Carlin

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users