BBO Discussion Forums: IMP Pair decision - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IMP Pair decision

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-January-12, 07:59

Playing in an ACBL IMP pair game on BBO last night, I picked up:

Do you act over 4?

#2 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-January-12, 09:47

I'm not really happy about it but I will pass.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-12, 10:27

Yes, I'll act. Dbl.

#4 User is offline   caky_ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-12, 10:30

4 nt..

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 12:40

I would just say "uncle" to the preempt and pass. I am not happy about it either but look at colors, pd may take our action more seriously than we intended (at least i would take it serious if i were him at these colors over a preempt)

I am aware it doesnt need much for us to make game, but also it may get ugly real easy at these colors since there is a good chance we may end up playing doubled in the wrong suit and sometimes even in our best fit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-January-12, 12:48

At the table, I'd bid 4NT

Would not be surprised to discover that pass or 5 worked better
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-January-12, 13:16

Pass

I'd be interested in Justin's take, since high level decision making is the area in which the very best are generally so much better than the run of the mill player, but, to me, bidding here is problematic mainly because, even if we have a good spot, we have no assurance that we can reach it. Make this 0=3=5=5 and I'd be happier about bidding.

Consider:

Double: most of the time, partner will have nowhere to go and we'd better hope he has defence. If he does bid, he'll often bid 4N, two places to play. What then? if we bid our 6 card suit, maybe we find that he was 3=4=2=4 and now he corrects to hearts. Ugh.

4N: we show 2 places to play, and he bids 5, which gets hammered....what do we do? We can't pull to diamonds, because that promises 4+ hearts. And what would you bid over 4N if you were partner, looking at, say, 3=4=3=3 We'd play 5x'd on a 4-3 with the good, long trump tapped at trick one and no ability to take diamond tricks.....can you spell 1700?

5: all of our not very large eggs in one somewhat frail basket.

We seem to have a choice of being a chicken or a lemming.....I'm being true to my nature......chicken.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 17:40

My nature is lemming and I would double though it is close. I will bid 5 over 4NT.

This is the sort of hand where there could easily be a double game swing or we may just increase the penalty when they are sacrificing. I'm not that worried about partner pulling when both sides are not making. The way I play he definitely will not pull with 3424.

Of course we could concede a big penalty or partner could bid too much, especially if he the spade ace. But I just think the cost of these is less than what we stand to lose by passing.

#9 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-January-12, 20:55

Pass, smoothly. Partner can still do something (tho did not act before). If not, defending 4 may be best - it could be a value raise with as little as 2 card support. 5 second choice (placing partner with some values in a balanced hand) but it doesn't look like the hand I have.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 21:55

Passing feels awful. I would double - we're not that far off from making 5m, but more likely partner could be there with 4 ok spades and a heart honor or two and waiting for us to pound them. They are w/r after all and have not shown any values.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 22:47

I am more inclined to bid if you reverse my majors but with pards hoped for surprise in the suit, we may beat this and the colours are wrong.

Wrong for anything except making 11 tricks somewhere and I don't have enough tickets.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-January-13, 06:08

I usually play X as values and 4NT as a general take-out, not necessarily 2 places. I think playing that I can venture a 4NT call. I agree this could get ugly quickly and the more I read Mike's post the less certain I feel about the decision :unsure: .
(-: Zel :-)

#13 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 06:27

Arggh, just the sort of hand to annoy you. On a lot of holdings where partner is not able to bid (many with 3 small S)it is possible we could score up a slam. If this was a table match I would try and guess what the other guy would do, imp pairs pass and die with the field. There are other considerations, like who bid 4S. If it was a player who bid like they expect to make it passing is the bid of choice. Tuff problem against a good pair.

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-13, 07:02

I'd make a takeout double, assuming we play them. If partner passes and they make, it's only 5 IMPs, compared with 11 or 14 for not bidding game when it's making. And the times when we lose by acting can be offset against the gains from converting +50 or +100 into +100 or +300.

If double were "cards" or "values", I have no idea what I'd do. Luckily that's somebody else's problem.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-January-13, 10:34

Do you reach over and remove the redouble card from RHO's bidding box before you make your call?

View Postgnasher, on 2012-January-13, 07:02, said:

I'd make a takeout double, assuming we play them. If partner passes and they make, it's only 5 IMPs, compared with 11 or 14 for not bidding game when it's making. And the times when we lose by acting can be offset against the gains from converting +50 or +100 into +100 or +300.

If double were "cards" or "values", I have no idea what I'd do. Luckily that's somebody else's problem.

'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-13, 11:00

In my experience they don't redouble much on this auction, especially at this vulnerability, where RHO will tend to assume that it's his partner who has been a bit frisky. Of course, if helps if I manage to double without looking scared.

If RHO did redouble, I probably wouldn't sit it. Let's hope that nobody I play against is reading this.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-January-13, 11:03

So what happened ? Did we the passers miss a game or slam ? Or did they redouble the doublers ? Or did they Double the bidders ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-January-13, 11:31

Here is the hand:

http://tinyurl.com/78um9vp

The actual result was -800, but it could have been worse (much worse - there was a chance for 1400).

Spades makes 11 tricks.

Pretty peculiar 3 opening by the North hand (in fact, of the 40 or so times the hand was played, this was the only instance of a 3 opening, the others being 2 or pass), but that is just a comment. It certainly is not relevant to the result.

There was one instance of 5x -1100. In that case, the West hand had the opportunity to bid diamonds at the two level and clubs at the four level. Over 4, opposite a silent partner, the player holding this hand unilaterally bid 5.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-January-13, 11:36

WoW :blink:

As i said in my post, it may get ugly real quick at these colors. Did they take you to emergency room immediately ? Was the ambulance on time ? :P (joking m8 :) )

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users