• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

tough prob

#21 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-03, 14:08

I initially though about leading club and trying for a cross ruff, but we might be ruffing our own tricks, I think a spade is better.

Also if partner bids 3NT over double I am pulling. Hopefully without hesitation from him.

#22 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-03, 15:17

Pard seems to have like 2146 or thereabouts with wimpish clubs. Dbl comes to mind, but pard is probably going to pull it to 4D. Oh well, I dbl anyway.

#23 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2012-January-03, 19:49

mikeh, on 2012-January-03, 13:23, said:

I double and lead a trump.

We rate to have every side suit sown up....tho I suppose one can picture all the missing high cards being wrong for us....in which case we weren't making much anyway.

Partner is allowed to pull.....he did make a forcing pass, and we've shown our heart suit. He can't play us for great spades on this sequence, so while xxx may be less than he hopes we hold, it isn't more than we show via double.

After a forcing pass I think partner can only pull with a void. It must be a slam range hand.

#24 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-03, 19:58

whereagles, on 2012-January-03, 15:17, said:

Pard seems to have like 2146 or thereabouts with wimpish clubs. Dbl comes to mind, but pard is probably going to pull it to 4D. Oh well, I dbl anyway.

He is not pulling to 4. I can't have 4 diamonds or I would have shown them with 4 or shown them earlier.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#25 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2012-January-04, 05:36

Maybe. But I don't think 3D 100% denies 4 diamonds. With, say, AKQxxx/Qxxx in the reds you're probably going to do without the diamonds your 2nd turn, no?

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-04, 09:23

whereagles, on 2012-January-04, 05:36, said:

Maybe. But I don't think 3D 100% denies 4 diamonds. With, say, AKQxxx/Qxxx in the reds you're probably going to do without the diamonds your 2nd turn, no?

I think I know what you really mean (4d, not 3d). But, you admit partner is 2-1-4-6 because of all the earlier inferences; and therefore you would have bid 4D now with 4 of them. Ergo, partner will not pull your double to 4d.

#27 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-04, 10:18

aguahombre, on 2012-January-04, 09:23, said:

I think I know what you really mean (4d, not 3d). But, you admit partner is 2-1-4-6 because of all the earlier inferences; and therefore you would have bid 4D now with 4 of them. Ergo, partner will not pull your double to 4d.

he means 3 doesn´t deny 4 card diamonds on hands with suit quality disparity

#28 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-04, 10:29

Fluffy, on 2012-January-04, 10:18, said:

he means 3 doesn´t deny 4 card diamonds on hands with suit quality disparity

Yes, we have gone way past that. Now we are at Double of 3S, rather than 4D because 4D would be chosen by this hand when we shouldn't have bid 3D earlier but have 4D. I know my communication skills are flawed, but.....

#29 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-January-04, 12:46

I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me that many posters here have missed some fairly strong inferences.

For those of us who think partner has 'shown' 2=1=4=6, maybe we should at least think about the hands on which our vulnerable opponents have competed to 3 on an auction where we have announced game going values without a fit.

Unless our opps are suicidial and fraticidal maniacs, they rate to hold 9 spades between them....and if they hold only 8, then doubling will either result in a large positive number for us or a somewhat smaller number, offset by the fact that we can't make anything. After all, if partner has 2=1=4=6, and they can escape for 500 on a trump lead, it must be because everything sits well for them and badly for us.

On the other hand, what if partner has a GOOD hand with, say, Kx in hearts?

What are his power calls over 3? The opps have taken away his cuebid, and 4 by him bears zero suggestion of extra values....it merely places the contract.

The same is true to a lesser degree (he isn't placing the contract) if he bids 4.

I would in fact expect him to be 1=2=4=6 as or more often than 2=1=4=6 and I expect him to pull my double to show a hand with some slam interest. But if he doesn't then I am delighted with my choice of a trump lead. I do not mean, for a moment, to suggest that he has to have some 6421 hand...merely that of the two flavours in which such a layout exists (maybe I should say 3....1=4=2=6 might also pass for now), the 1=2=4=6 seems to me to be at least as likely as the other.

I post all of this in positive language and will no doubt soon be shown that I am completely mistaken on the actual hand. Tant pis.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#30 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2012-January-04, 20:10

Impressive french there, mike.. lol.

Well, 2146 or 1246 shouldn't make much of a difference in practice. With 21 pard will probably pass the dbl and with 12 he might pull this (probably happy that his previous pass didn't mess stuff up).

By the way, in my other post above I meant 3H obviously (not 3D).

#31 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-05, 03:28

In tempo, 4D is shaping out on an offensive hand.
BIT, 4D is a fragment asking where to go.
Similarly,
In tempo, Dbl has tricks in their suit.
BIT, Dbl shows cards.
That's what I see way too often.

#32 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-January-05, 06:56

X is clear cut for me. Partner rate to be 1147 (and was looking for 3Nt) or has a H fit but is too strong for 4H. Sometimes he can have a stiff S honor with xx in H with running clubs and hope that 3nt is better than 4H but here it very unlikely since he would raise to 4H anyway. Anyway I dont see how X can backfire (unlikely he pass imo but if he does ill lead trumps).
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#33 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-05, 13:16

JLOGIC, on 2012-January-01, 03:56, said:

4D

FrancesHinden too said 4 when she thought partner had bid 3. Did you by any chance misread the auction when you said 4 ?
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users