• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pre-Alerts ACBL

#41 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-09, 19:53

One thing that I'm not a great fan of is the requirement (in my jurisdiction at least) to verbalise your prealerts at the start of the round even though they are clearly written in the "pre-alerts" section on the first page of the convention card that I hand to each of my opponents. If they choose to not read my "pre-alerts" section, that's their problem. It would be far more time efficient if the respective players read their oppoenents' prealerts at the same time; particularly in short-round pairs events.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#42 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-09, 22:38

The ACBL regulation says "Pre-Alerts are given aloud by saying what the systems or methods are." Good thing, too, since few folks here ever look at an opponent's system card (and there is no regulatory requirement to do so). Also, the ACBL card has no specific "pre-alerts" section. Another design flaw.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#43 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-10, 04:16

View Postmrdct, on 2012-January-09, 19:53, said:

One thing that I'm not a great fan of is the requirement (in my jurisdiction at least) to verbalise your prealerts at the start of the round even though they are clearly written in the "pre-alerts" section on the first page of the convention card that I hand to each of my opponents. If they choose to not read my "pre-alerts" section, that's their problem. It would be far more time efficient if the respective players read their oppoenents' prealerts at the same time; particularly in short-round pairs events.

Do you say as you're handing it to them "We need to pre-alert some of our system, it's written on the front here" *point to section*. That would seem to save time while also obeying the spirit if not the letter of the rule. If they want they can ask you to tell them anyway - which is also fine.

#44 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 06:33

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-03, 12:31, said:

I disagree. When you are playing thirteen rounds you will examine each opponents' convention card for a limited time. If they are using the old-style cards, where the opening 2-bids are not listed on the front, you will probably not open it up. Not mentioning something that you are fully aware will catch many of your opponents unprepared follows the regulation but not the spirit, IMO, of full disclosure.

If your opponents playing the methods you described in an earlier post were doing this then they were not following the letter of the regulation either. The smaller old-style card is not permitted when playing level-4 conventions and the larger one has a space for things opponents should note on the front.

#45 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-11, 00:35

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-09, 22:38, said:

The ACBL regulation says "Pre-Alerts are given aloud by saying what the systems or methods are." Good thing, too, since few folks here ever look at an opponent's system card (and there is no regulatory requirement to do so). Also, the ACBL card has no specific "pre-alerts" section. Another design flaw.

Since our CC doesn't have a place for this stuff, many players with pre-alerts have index cards (sometimes laminated) that they place on the table in front of the opponents. They also verbalize them as required, but the cards make things easier.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users