• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does the convention have a name?

#1 User is offline   relknes 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-17, 23:24

There is a convention that is part of SAYC, but I have never heard its proper name. Most serious partnerships seem to do away with it anyways in favor of 4 suited transfers or minor suit Stayman, etc, but I was looking for further information on it and didn't know what to search for.
The convention is over a 1N opening, 2 is used to force partner to bid 3, and responder passes or corrects to 3.

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-18, 02:27

View Postrelknes, on 2011-December-17, 23:24, said:

There is a convention that is part of SAYC, but I have never heard its proper name. Most serious partnerships seem to do away with it anyways in favor of 4 suited transfers or minor suit Stayman, etc, but I was looking for further information on it and didn't know what to search for.
The convention is over a 1N opening, 2 is used to force partner to bid 3, and responder passes or corrects to 3.

I play it with a lot of partners, but I've never heard a name for it. I think it is just minor suit signoff. I think (but am not sure) that it is also just "standard" if you don't play 4-way transfers.

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-December-18, 02:28

Transfer to either minor
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-18, 03:00

Many people, perhaps most, call it a transfer, but it's more properly a puppet, IMO. AFAIK, the convention doesn't have a name.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-December-18, 09:57

A variation is that 2 asks Opener which minor he prefers (bid 2NT with diamond preference, 3 with club preference), after which pass of 3, bidding 3, and bidding 3 are all weak actions. The variation allows Responder to know what to do with weak 5-5 minors.

There is no name for this convention, either. I would like to nominate "The Drew P. O'Shay Convention."

Why "Drew P. O'Shay?" Well, years ago, my grandfather (technically step-gpop), after my grandmother had passed away, went somewhat on the wild side. At some point, my brother and I (kids at the time) were told that grandpa Jerry Behle was now called "Drew P. O'Shay." I have no idea what he was up to, whether this was somehow deemed by him to be a great name, or whether he had some sort of fraud scheme going, or what was up. But, it meant that I could decide which name I liked at the time (Grandpa Droopy or Grandpa Jerry), and then he could decide either to go with my preference (when it did not matter) or to stick with one of the two (perhaps if the law man was over for a visit?).
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2011-December-18, 11:55

This is called "3 Suit Transfers"...well at it is was where I used to play in the US when it was common when the SAYC card came into being.

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2011-December-18, 13:16

If opener bid 3C with a maximum and 2nt with a minimum = 2S Range check

If opener bid 3C/2Nt depending on wich minor he like best = MSS minor suit stayman.

Forget about the 2S force to 3C its a poor method.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-December-18, 13:52

View Postbenlessard, on 2011-December-18, 13:16, said:

If opener bid 3C/2Nt depending on wich minor he like best = MSS minor suit stayman.

I think using 2 as a transfer to 3/3 is a perfectly fine method. If you are in a long
term, serious, advanced, partnership you will likely be playing another method but to call it poor
is misleading.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2011-December-18, 13:55

Indeed Ken, as Ben aready mentioned, what you are referring is usually known as minor suit stayman. Cool resemblance to your story though :D

For what it's worth, I tought this "3-suit" transfer method for beginners. It's at the very least simple enough, even though not very good.
Anyone who has any idea of how NT structure works shouldn't use it.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-December-18, 16:05

View PostFlameous, on 2011-December-18, 13:55, said:

For what it's worth, I tought this "3-suit" transfer method for beginners. It's at the very least simple enough, even though not very good.

It seems OK to me; but it's true that many people who play it leave the 3/3/3NT continuations idle, which there seems no reason to do.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-December-18, 16:09

Please elaborate.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-December-18, 16:54

View Postjillybean, on 2011-December-18, 13:52, said:

I think using 2 as a transfer to 3/3 is a perfectly fine method. If you are in a long
term, serious, advanced, partnership you will likely be playing another method but to call it poor
is misleading.

It is a poor method because you're throwing away bidding space for no reason. It is not misleading to say that leaving 1N-2; 2NT undefined is a poor idea.
      George Carlin

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-December-18, 21:06

I'm interested in 2 ==> 3/3 being so bad and what you would suggest for beginners+ instead of this treatment.

This is one area of my CC that has remained untouched. I have played '3 suit transfers' for all my bridge life, maybe its a case of ignorance is bliss.
I have only recently discussed with my main partner changing 2 to MSS,weak diamond hand,5-5 minors weak hand, or a 4-4+ minor suit slam try. Sounds complicated. In this and other partnerships I play 3 way transfer, in 1 other we recently added 4 way transfer.
(still learning)

#14 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-18, 21:25

View Postjillybean, on 2011-December-18, 21:06, said:

I have only recently discussed with my main partner changing 2 to MSS,weak diamond hand,5-5 minors weak hand, or a 4-4+ minor suit slam try. Sounds complicated. In this and other partnerships I play 3 way transfer, in 1 other we recently added 4 way transfer.

I play this....sounds much more complicated than it is :)

most of the time pard has a weak hand with long d.....over 2s you bid your 4card minor..with none you bid 2nt.

#15 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-December-18, 22:38

View Postbenlessard, on 2011-December-18, 13:16, said:

Perhaps your last comment s correct, but to play 2S as a range probe or minor transfer is NOT a poor method;
1NT 2S
2N min
3C max

over 2NT/3C
3D = Slam try, no 4M, but interested in a 4-4 or better m suit slam, Now 3H = C, 3S = D, 3N = neither, 4C = both.
3H = 5/5 Ms invit
3S = 5/5 Ms Gf
3NT = (I would have had a slam try over a 3C bid)
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-December-18, 22:51

Indeed Ken, as Ben aready mentioned, what you are referring is usually known as minor suit stayman. Cool resemblance to your story though :D

I always thought MSS was to bid 4-card minors or 2NT with none. what do I know?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#17 User is offline   relknes 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-18, 23:23

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I am currently leaning toward 2 as a range check or weak minor signoff. The reason for this is that I am hoping to experiment with a slightly wider range weak NT (12-15). The wide range makes the ability to sort out the 12-13 point hands from the 14-15 point hands critical in some sequences, and the weak nature of it makes it necesary to have ways to run to a suit contract with a weak hand and a long suit.
Since 2 handles the invitational hands, what is the best convention to use 2NT for, when paired with this 2? I am leaning toward 5-5 minor hands, either weak or strong (the weak version passes opener's preference while the strong version bids a major singleton or void). Is there a better use for it?

#18 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-December-19, 01:01

View Postjillybean, on 2011-December-18, 21:06, said:

I'm interested in 2 ==> 3/3 being so bad and what you would suggest for beginners+ instead of this treatment.

This is one area of my CC that has remained untouched. I have played '3 suit transfers' for all my bridge life, maybe its a case of ignorance is bliss.

It is a poor method because you are throwing away bidding space for no reason. Would you agree with me that the following Stayman method is bad:
1N-2C
2D undefined
2H hearts
2S spades
2NT neither
?

4 suit transfers are better. What Ken wrote is also better.
      George Carlin

#19 User is offline   jvage 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-19, 03:21

Here in Norway the method is used by almost everyone and is called "Minor Stayman". The response-structure varies however, both if 2NT or 3 shows better diamonds/clubs (I have not seen it used as rangeask) and if a following 3/ shows slaminvitational with clubs/diamonds respectively (may also have a strong one-suiter) or a singelton with 55 minors.

The name is a bit misleading, as the following true story exemplifies. When Geir Helgemo was around 16 (he was already a very good player) he was introduced to this convention, without any explanations. When partner bid 2 after his 1NT opening he "naturally" responded in normal Stayman-manner by showing his 4 diamonds with 3. At the table this was a success, as I remember the story Geir actually wanted to continue playing "real" minor-Stayman for a while...

#20 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-December-19, 03:49

The method is ok. This doesn't mean that it cannot be enhanced and made even better.

Obviously having a meaning for a 2NT rebid is an enhancement. It is also possible to add meanings for higher rebids. I have played 3Major to show both minors with shortage in the suit bid:

1NT 2
3 3/ 2155/1255 or similar
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users