• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clarifying Law 54 spin off from "Opening lead problem" in Simple Rulings

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-19, 05:01

View Postpran, on 2011-November-19, 04:29, said:

Information about actual cards held by partner is unauthorized to presumed Declarer until Dummy is faced in the regular way. Therefore I consider Law 54C to prohibit presumed Declarer from selecting any of his options other than accepting the opening lead out of turn with himself as Declarer once he possesses such UI.

Fine, but 54C doesn't actually address the question. IOW, you (and most everyone else, I guess) are reading into it something that isn't there. I suppose it's the most practical way to approach it, but it seems to me this is another case of "we do what we do" rather than "we do what the laws say to do" (in this case, in particular, because they don't say). Perhaps a good suggestion for the next version is to fill in this hole. :unsure:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 07:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-November-19, 05:01, said:

Fine, but 54C doesn't actually address the question. IOW, you (and most everyone else, I guess) are reading into it something that isn't there. I suppose it's the most practical way to approach it, but it seems to me this is another case of "we do what we do" rather than "we do what the laws say to do" (in this case, in particular, because they don't say). Perhaps a good suggestion for the next version is to fill in this hole. :unsure:

Correct (as I indicated with my answer).

But be aware that Law 54C needs no immediate clarification; what this law does is just stating that Declarer must select the alternative described in Law 54B when he "could have seen" any of presumed Dummy's cards other than those subject to Law 24.

The law that needs clarification is Law 54B, and FWIW I shall make a note of this for forwarding to Grattan in due time.

I think the best description of today's practice is "We do what we believe is according to the intention with the law")

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 11:37

View Postpran, on 2011-November-19, 07:24, said:

But be aware that Law 54C needs no immediate clarification; what this law does is just stating that Declarer must select the alternative described in Law 54B when he "could have seen" any of presumed Dummy's cards other than those subject to Law 24.

The law that needs clarification is Law 54B, and FWIW I shall make a note of this for forwarding to Grattan in due time.

I don't agree. I think that Law 54C should say "he must accept the lead, and Law 54B applies". What clarification do you think 54B needs?

I'll probably move these last couple of posts, and your response to this one, to the "Changing Laws" forum at some point.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 12:00

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-November-19, 11:37, said:

I don't agree. I think that Law 54C should say "he must accept the lead, and Law 54B applies". What clarification do you think 54B needs?

I'll probably move these last couple of posts, and your response to this one, to the "Changing Laws" forum at some point.

1: Whether presumed Declarer enjoys the option to select becoming Dummy strictly only in Law 54A situations (he faces his cards immediately after the opening lead out of turn) or also in Law 54B situations after he has been told his options by the Director and selected to accept the opening lead out of turn.
2: Whether presumed Declarer enjoys the option to select becoming Dummy in Law 54C situations where he must accept the opening lead out of turn, i.e. a Law 54B situation.

My email with these questions will be sent to Grattan on December 1st.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users