• Group: Members

Posted 2004-October-11, 22:09

Scoring: IMP

South East North West

Pass Pass 1C 1D
1S Pass 2S 3D
?

What do you bid on 3D?

(First seat you pass, tho you have 28 ZAR points because opening might create some problems with your partner)

Thanks for answering

Valeria

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-October-12, 00:56

4S. Need magic cards to make 6. Don't show the H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-October-12, 01:21

4 :)

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-October-12, 03:30

If partner never supports with a 3 card, then I'll bid 3 as help suit trial, and try for slam if I get a positive response. However, if partner supports from a 3 card, then I'll just bid 4.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-October-12, 03:31

I'm tempted into looking at opponent's faces to see if an underbid of 3S would do the trick. The idea is bidding 4S over their 4D, hoping for a double or that opps will think I'm streching (thus they won't bid 5D, or might double 5S).

Since 3S runs the risk of a pass out, I wouldn't do that with a pard that doesn't understand these sort of tactics.

#6 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-October-12, 05:43

1Valeria, on Oct 12 2004, 04:09 AM, said:

(First seat you pass, tho you have 28 ZAR points because opening might create some problems with your partner)

Another, more imptant reason to pass (besides avoiding ptship troubles) is that opening at the 1 level with less than 8 hcp is ILLEGAL for most tournament.

Such hands can be opened only using weak openers at the 2-3 level.

Stupid rule, as this hand demonstrates (hardly preemptive hand, excellent playing strength),but we have to comply with such rules.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#7 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-12, 08:03

I wouldnt open this 1sp.
If 4H is natural (fJ) ill bid it, if not, then 4s.
I think the question to ask ourself is how far are we going to bid, are we going to bid 5s on 5d, or maybe 6s on 6d ?

#8 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-12, 08:25

1Valeria, on Oct 11 2004, 08:09 PM, said:

Scoring: IMP

South East North West

Pass Pass 1C 1D
1S Pass 2S 3D
?

What do you bid on 3D?

Thanks for answering

Valeria

With some perfect minimums making 7, I think I'll try 4 to see if that gets a 4 call out of my monkey.
"Phil" on BBO

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-October-12, 08:29

whereagles, on Oct 12 2004, 10:31 AM, said:

I'm tempted into looking at opponent's faces to see if an underbid of 3S would do the trick. The idea is bidding 4S over their 4D, hoping for a double or that opps will think I'm streching (thus they won't bid 5D, which might give me a hard time).

Since 3S runs the risk of a pass out, I wouldn't do that with a pard that doesn't understand these sort of tactics.

These tactics only work against beginners, and it has nothing to do with your partner since he 'has to' pass according to the tactic...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-October-12, 08:31

Chamaco, on Oct 12 2004, 12:43 PM, said:

Another, more imptant reason to pass (besides avoiding ptship troubles) is that opening at the 1 level with less than 8 hcp is ILLEGAL for most tournament.

Stupid rule, as this hand demonstrates (hardly preemptive hand, excellent playing strength),but we have to comply with such rules.

I never heard of such rule, except in ACBL land... I don't know what other countries use this rule as well, but as you said it: it's a stupid rule!

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-October-12, 09:01

Free, on Oct 12 2004, 03:29 PM, said:

These tactics only work against beginners, and it has nothing to do with your partner since he 'has to' pass according to the tactic...

That's what I meant by "look at their faces". If LHO is wiggling or RHO aching to bid again, I'd definitely try 4D.

What I meant by pard "not understanding", is not what he might do during the bidding, but afterwards :blink:

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-October-12, 09:05

Free, on Oct 12 2004, 10:31 AM, said:

I never heard of such rule, except in ACBL land... I don't know what other countries use this rule as well, but as you said it: it's a stupid rule!

Zar quotes at least two other examples...

He says the French federation uses the following definition of what an opening bid is "An opening of one of a suit can be made ONLY under the rule of 18 (HCP+a+:blink:, 16 in third seat". So here with 12 cards and 7 hcp... this would just be an opening bid... take away one in each major and move to minor, it would not be....

He says the WBF defines an opening bid as a hand “better than the average hand with a Queen worth!" I can't tell you whether or not this hand fits that definition or not. I would open this hand 1 anytime it was LEGAL to do so.

Ben
--Ben--

#13 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-12, 09:21

Free, on Oct 12 2004, 11:31 PM, said:

Chamaco, on Oct 12 2004, 12:43 PM, said:

Italian bridge federation to answer your question , free
"if you fail at your first attempt , maybe skydiving is not for you".

#14 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-12, 10:28

Chamaco, on Oct 12 2004, 11:43 AM, said:

Is it opening them that is illegal, or is it agreeing to open them?

I am allowed to break the agreements I have with my partner aren't I?

Eric

#15 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-October-12, 10:38

EricK, on Oct 12 2004, 12:28 PM, said:

I think this is up to a certified director to give you a ruling. However, I believe you will be on your way to an adjusted board if you open this and then bid like you had a real openig bid afterwards. That is really sad, becasue I think any fair minded person would see that this is indeed an opening hand.
--Ben--

#16 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-12, 18:30

ACBL policy can be found on the General Convention Chart. It is: "DISALLOWED - Opening one bids which by partnership agreement could show fewer than 8 HCP". This is designed to disallow systems that open very light on moderately balanced hands. It is not intended to overrule your bridge judgment. I have no such partnership agreement, and consider this an opening bid. Just to emphasize my point, I will contend that this meets the old ACBL policy about opening a Strong, Artificial 2 Club bid. (I do not propose opening 2C!) It was "A reasonable expectation of making game when played in the best strain". Suppose you caught xxx, xxx, xxx, xxxx. Would you rather hold this hand or the one you last had when you opened 2C?

#17 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2004-October-12, 19:00

LH2650, on Oct 12 2004, 07:30 PM, said:

ACBL policy can be found on the General Convention Chart.  It is:  "DISALLOWED - Opening one bids which by partnership agreement could show fewer than 8 HCP".  This is designed to disallow systems that open very light on moderately balanced hands.  It is not intended to overrule your bridge judgment.  I have no such partnership agreement, and consider this an opening bid.  Just to emphasize my point, I will contend that this meets the old ACBL policy about opening a Strong, Artificial 2 Club bid.  (I do not propose opening 2C!)  It was "A reasonable expectation of making game when played in the best strain".  Suppose you caught xxx, xxx, xxx, xxxx.  Would you rather hold this hand or the one you last had when you opened 2C?

I don't understand your point, 2C is not a 1-level opening. B)
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#18 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-13, 01:29

inquiry, on Oct 12 2004, 04:38 PM, said:

EricK, on Oct 12 2004, 12:28 PM, said:

I think this is up to a certified director to give you a ruling. However, I believe you will be on your way to an adjusted board if you open this and then bid like you had a real openig bid afterwards. That is really sad, becasue I think any fair minded person would see that this is indeed an opening hand.

Interesting. I would have have thought that as long as partner "bids like you have a real opening bid" (real according to your agreements, that is), then it would be OK.

Suppose your agreements were a modified Rule of 20 :- length of 2 longest suits plus HCP in two longest suits, plus A&K HCP in short suits (i.e. normal rule of 20, but discounting Quacks in short suits).

This hand fails to qualify (by a point), but I think you would be allowed to open it, as long as partner doesn't play you for this hand.

Judgement can't be outlawed can it?

Eric

#19 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-October-13, 03:42

EricK, on Oct 13 2004, 09:29 AM, said:

Judgement can't be outlawed can it?

Eric

yes
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#20 User is offline   helium 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:BRIDGE!!!!!!

Posted 2004-October-13, 04:12

Chamaco, on Oct 12 2004, 06:43 AM, said:

This was news to me also and i think its rater silly if u cant open 1 on this hand, and what if u do it as a spyke?
foole me once, shame one you!!
foole me twice, shame on me....!!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users