2NT-cheap reverse switch

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-04, 13:41

when the auction starts with something like:

1-1

it is much more common to have a 2NT rebid than a 2 rebid, yet the 2 rebid consumes a ton less space. Has anyone tried reversing these 2 bids to gain space on the normal hands?

#2 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2011-November-04, 13:56

Actually yeah I have done this.

We didn't exactly 'reverse' the structures. Rather, 2 was either diamonds or a big balanced hand. Responder could rebid 2M(non-forcing opposite 18-19bal, could be passed by the real reverse) or bid 2oM to ask opener to clarify. I think we played responder's rebid of 2NT or 3 were GF transfers and opener would do something special.

We then used 1m-1M; 2N to show the 'death hand' of a good 6-card minor with 3-card support.

Long story short was that it worked well but I hated it. It's been about 4 months since I used it and I already had to really think even to remember that much. I suggest you just open 2 with 18-19 balanced :)
Kevin Fay

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-04, 14:19

Fredin-Fallenius reverse 2 and 2NT in the auction 1-1NT. Their notes (PDF) may be worth a look if you are looking for ideas.

They play transfer responses to a 1 opener and rebid 1NT over a major-showing response to show the strong balanced hand, so your specific auction is less of a concern for them.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-November-05, 00:43

There are some Italians that play(ed) artificial reverses. If I remember correctly, Vincent Dumuy and Gavin Wolpert also played this.

In this case, after 1-1 they play:
2 = 16+HCP, <3 (lowest reverse)
2 = 16+HCP, 3+ (highest reverse)
2NT = something else, I think 13-16 with long
Light reverses that immediately show the degree of fit in responder's suit. An interesting concept for sure. After these reverses, 2NT by responder is forcing (so opener can describe his hand), while most other bids seem to be weaker. Sort of like reversed Lebensohl.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2011-November-05, 07:52

View PostFree, on 2011-November-05, 00:43, said:

There are some Italians that play(ed) artificial reverses ...

Lauria-Versace 07:

1 Opening Bid:
1 --- 1 --- 2 = 16 up 5+ & 4 0-2, or 16 up 6+ 0-2;
1 --- 1 --- 2 = 16 up 4+ & 3+;
1 --- 1 --- 2NT = 16 to 18 hcp one-suited ;

It would seem 4-5s, 4s and 0-2s rebids 1 even if very strong for the opening bid
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-November-09, 03:19

I have been thinking about this switch and I think it is even better in a strong club context than natural. In my system a 1C opening shows 15+ natural/balanced, or 18+ any. A 1S response is game-forcing without a 4 card major, over which I currently play 2D and 2NT as natural with 15-17, since 1NT would be a relay with the 18+ hand types. Switching 2D and 2NT here seems to work amazingly well, with 5 clubs and 4 diamonds opposite 7+ minor cards you are guaranteed a minor suit fit so you are not giving up too much by bidding this hand with 2NT, while the much more common balanced 15-17 hand gets so much extra space that it is difficult to find enough hand types for Responder to show. I can see only plusses here and can only thank you for introducing me to the idea. :)
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-November-09, 03:32

View Postkfay, on 2011-November-04, 13:56, said:

Actually yeah I have done this.

We didn't exactly 'reverse' the structures. Rather, 2 was either diamonds or a big balanced hand. Responder could rebid 2M(non-forcing opposite 18-19bal, could be passed by the real reverse) or bid 2oM to ask opener to clarify. I think we played responder's rebid of 2NT or 3 were GF transfers and opener would do something special.

We then used 1m-1M; 2N to show the 'death hand' of a good 6-card minor with 3-card support.

Long story short was that it worked well but I hated it. It's been about 4 months since I used it and I already had to really think even to remember that much. I suggest you just open 2 with 18-19 balanced :)

Hey this is pretty cool and simple. I think you are a troll for hating it.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2011-November-09, 05:37

Seems kfays method was something like simplified Gazzilli. (Yes, this is also referred to as Gazzilli though I know not many play "this" Gazzilli)

You might want to check Ambra notes, it uses 2D as nat reverse, 17+ clubs or 18-19 bal with 4H or 17+ 4H5+C and shortness.

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2011-November-15, 10:22

IMO an important principle for bidding system is that the cheapest forcing bid should always show different type of hands so that it end up with a fairly high frequency.

To use 2D as 16+ with 5C+4D is the perfect anti-example.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#10 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-November-19, 09:32

Hola Gonzalo, I am glad you asked :)

In fact I play that 2 shows either 18-19 NT or a natural reverse, 2NT directly showing a 1-suited hand in (either invite without 3-card support, or GF). 3 directly is 6-3 invitational.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users