BBO Discussion Forums: How you play with a expert - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How you play with a expert pairing up with a expert/W C /star

Poll: What u feel and do when u pair up with an expert (30 member(s) have cast votes)

What u feel and do when u pair up with an expert

1. u scared sh.. (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. u know only nice expert (indy expertsp. are forgotten soon) (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. u hope noone shows up to kib (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. you do whatever possible to let partner play all hands (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. you hope u get a good pointer or 2 (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

6. you avoid experts and think of logging off when it happens (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

7. dont care, somany experts on bbo(cant be all for real) (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

8. others please add (7 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-September-25, 21:28

Hi,

After having the priv. to be able to pair up with some really really good player once in a while i was wondering how other less talented or shortley started players feel when they pair up with a excellent player.

A lot where given that oppertunity recentley in the BIL festivities(well done Maureen and co again) so maybe some will be voted or adding acomment.

Another reason i make this poll is that i often encounter Experts(maybe self proclaimed donno) that causes problems in one way or the other(mostley disconnecting/arguining after partners mistakes) .
One(a player, not a td) told me recentley he had 173 experts in his blacklist with whom he woud never play again cause they stunk he said so maybe some have same experience.

Last reason is after seeing the experts explaining how they play with a "godzilla"in a indy it seems only fair to let the B/I given a voice too :) in how they feel in same situation.

Please add comments

Regards

Marc
"if you fail at your first attempt , maybe skydiving is not for you".

#2 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-September-26, 04:44

I think that many discussions arise after abnormal play/bids, and that often such abnormal decisions are a consequence of such attempts to modify commonsense situations in the light of what you expect from pard.

I believe it is wiser to play/bid as I usually do: at least if I do a mistake and someone blames me, the mistake is genuine ! :)
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#3 User is offline   guggie 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-26, 05:16

Firstly, if I play with someone who calls himself an expert I dont care as this doesnt mean anything. When I play with someone I rate to be an expert i do my utmost best and play much better than normally, counting frenzylike and so on, because i do not want to make silly mistakes, and I hope the expert will play another time with me.
When I play with experts who are anonymous, I give them a heart;-)
(I had the privilege to play 2 hands with Smispi in an indy - did I know - and he still carries a heart with the text: this man CAN play).

By the way I rated myself down from advanced to intermediate, this shows a lot of profit won by sloppy defense of opps who despise you. I seriously consider to move on to novice.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-September-26, 05:28

It depends a bit on the relation between the two players. If it's a lesson, just play by the book and follow the expert's discards. If they're both there just to win, don't overbid or make ambiguous bids. Just play straight down the middle and let him take the difficult decisions.

#5 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-26, 17:36

playing with "experts" here on BBO I find LOTS would be pushing to win a tournament at a social club ( :ph34r: ) so if I find folks I really dislike (and maybe it's more to do with their behaviour at the table rather than claiming "expert" when they are not) I make a note for myself on their profile.

I have not been priveledged to play with a "star" or a "WC" player (and probably will never do so) but IF I ever did I would expect that partner would realise I'm only an Intermediate and be willing to play the system and conventions I am comfortable with, and HOPE that I would learn something from the experience

IMHO a WORLD class players are those that win not because of esoteric sysyems and conventions BUT because they
1. LISTEN to the bidding
2. Count the cards
3. Watch EVERY card played and
4 know HOW to play certain card combinations ( sometimes against the "right" way having taken into account the first three points ) :lol:

#6 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2004-September-26, 22:06

When I play with a legitimate expert I notice there are a few things that they do. I'm going to use my experiences with Ben to help picture it for everyone.

1. A true expert takes his/her time BEFORE playing to the first trick. They NEVER say "faster please", unless it's so obvious that something's up. They understand the concept of planning.

2. A true expert appreciates not the A's and K's, but the tens, nines, and eights of a hand.

3. A true expert tries their hardest to help PARTNER out, and tries to understand what partner is doing, or not doing, in defense.

4. A true expert is comfortable with styles of play, and adjusts accordingly. Specific conventions are not nearly as important as getting to the bottom line.

5. Lastly, a true expert doesn't criticize partner. Instead, they get it right. And they NEVER EVER EVER give lessons at the table, regardless of how right or wrong they are.

There's the standards....now let's see the TRUE experts step forward.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#7 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 03:13

Beginner, expert, world class, intermediate or advanced, I play badly with them all.

Hope this is an constructive opinion Marc

#8 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-September-27, 04:04

in a recent acbl we played against an 'expert' opponent... they stopped in 3M one hand, when 4 was laydown... the 'expert' said, "partner how can you bid this way, you are a rank beginner!!"

that wasn't an expert
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#9 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-27, 15:31

I'm a little more agressive when they have to play it, and a little less agressive when I'm going to be playing it. I also trust their signals a lot more than the average person.

#10 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2004-September-27, 18:11

In real life I sometimes get the opportunity to play with players that are much better than I am. I don't think that I play very differently then, perhaps I'm more motivated then usual. However, I ask more questions after hands, and usually I have lots of stuff to think about afterwards.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-September-27, 23:07

The ability to think about the consequences of one's acts is the most valuable gift one can have :P

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-September-28, 01:37

I like Helen Sobel's answer when asked what it was like to play with an expert. Her reply, "Ask my partner". She was playing with Charles Goren at the time.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   lexica 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-September-30, 17:51

It is rather late so I guess a bit of plagiarising is Ok...
First off, an expert is an expert is an expert is..... Used to be scared; went thru the "did you like to pull cats' tails way back?" stage; love to learn but sometimes negative experience is just as precious (for character building and bridge-burning purposes; hardly constructive for bridge learning, however); it is always TOO late to say BIG THANK YOU to the people - experts big and not so - who have helped you... In other words "others" seemed like the only way to capture a mixed bag of feelings, experiences and attitudes.
Second, what's in a name, hence what is an "expert"? Uday's definition is hardly viable, "common sense" definition is always already subjective and easier to psychoanalyse than pinpoint so where does that get us?
Third... huh... Life is very short for fussing and fighting... Pity ego-trips take at least two to be a fulfilling experience; without them there would be much less collateral damage and much more fun playing but I might be wrong. Anyway, hate to play with an unknown expert at an indy. Unless in a pranky mood (just in case).
Until the criteria for an "expert" are clear-cut, playing with one is like playing a russian roullette: if you know him/her and you like him/her, it might be fun and no precautions would be necessary; if you don't - well, then it's pot-luck. Either way, for what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?
B)
What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about radishes. -Samuel Beckett

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-01, 03:51

When playing with an expert, I ask for advice everytime something goes wrong ... I trust that if the correct answer to my question is "we did the right thing, just happened to be wrong with this split", then I will get that answer.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-October-01, 05:36

Ask my pd.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-October-01, 10:25

First, thanks keylime for the nice comment...

Second, when I play with an expert, I feel overjoyed. It is an opportunity for me to practice drawing inferences from the the bidding or play that can be sound. It is an opportunity for me to have hands to look back over where I am pretty darn certain when somethiing went wrong it was my fault, and I can try to figure out what I did wrong (did I lead the expert astray with the wrong spot card to trick 3? Did I underbid, did I miss a bid that would have described my hand better, etc).

As for the option on the poll, I am I scared? No.
Do I hope no one shows up to kibtiz? Of course not, I love kibitzing and kibitzers
Do I do whatever I can to let partner play the hands? No. Rather I am playing with novice or pro, I don't try to play ot let hem play the major of thiem.. I bid normally.
Do I hpe I get a good pointer or two? I always hope that... I am just not a fan of lessons "at the table"... I learn form takehome homework after the session is over.
Wrorry about the over inflated rating on BBO? Nope, I know who are and are not experts, I don't even look at the self ratings...

So, when I play with an expert what do I feel like? I feel like having FUN.. and you know what, that is waht I feel like when I play with novices, beginners, advance, and intermediates as well. And for me not to have fun, my partner has to be a boor and/or rude, skill level is not the issue. So be sarcastic, rude, or bothersome, and you will find that I leave fairly quickly. Make blunder after blunder, but take it in good spirits, and we can have fun playing all day. After all, at one time (and occassionaly still), I made blunder after blunder myself, and my partners still played with me.

Ben
--Ben--

#17 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-October-01, 16:11

i agree with ben, playing with an expert is just plain fun... i don't worry about my forcing bids being passed (tho on occasion i do worry about passing one :rolleyes:)

i don't have to worry about being "resulted" (God i hate that)... i don't have to worry about having 3 opponents, i always know my partner is *really* on my team... i always know that if i'm to receive instruction (at the table, in public), it's usually because i asked for it

and lastly, playing with an expert shows me more of my own potential, and that's always a good thing
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#18 User is offline   hench 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-October-09, 21:19

there are so many experts and world class players in bbo, but most of them are not playing so good.

#19 User is offline   Laird 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-12, 02:56

Hello All

I have to my knowledge only once played with a World Class Expert (Fred) in the recent BIL celebrations. When I learned I was to be given this privilege I was naturally nervous about it and had to overcome all the usual fears.

I hope I dont make a fool of myself,

I hope I dont let Fred down,

I hope I can remember the cards that were played, what about signals and all these Kibbers watching... pressure... pressure ... pressure

However when you calm down and rationalise the situation ... Its only a game nothing is at stake all these imagined pressures are really self imposed.

The actual game was smashing ... Fred was a gentleman and the ops were Byroner and Cascade both easy to play with and fun. Many of the Kibs also offered good wishes and voiced encouragement and this was uplifting too.
Again evidence that these pressures were self imposed....

BIL to my mind is excellent in preparing you to meet these pressures. The real experts and advanced players who are willing to give of their time and expertise in the lounge and pass on the basics of this wonderful game is the standard I use to gauge others.

Whilst to my knowledge I have only played once with a world class player I have frequently played against experts and it is fun when you occasionally manage to defend successfully against them and you see them arguing away, usually in a language other than English about what they should have done.

Perhaps in the near future as more BIL members gain more knowledge and experience it will be only fair to experts and advanced alike to have a warning sign on your profile ... Be Careful ... BIL member :)

Laird
UDCA...'You take the High Road an I'll take the Low Road'...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users