BBO Discussion Forums: What is this bid in std methods ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is this bid in std methods ?

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-14, 09:16

1(x)-DBL-(pass)-3x ?

Please also tell me the difference, if any, when the x suit is a minor and when it is a major.

If there is no std for it, please tell me how you and your pd play it.

Thanks
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 09:55

I don't know if there's a standard meaning. The two meanings I have played are:
- Asking for a stopper, with something like AK10xxx of a minor and nothing else.
- One-suited slam try in an unspecified suit (or unspecified major).
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-14, 09:58

3 of a suit over the one-bid looks like one of our opening 3-bids in our style.
3 in a suit under is a mama-papa 5+ suit with 9-11 or so expected.
3 of their suit ---don't think I have ever done that. Will await some good answers.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 10:01

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-July-14, 09:58, said:

3 of a suit over the one-bid looks like one of our opening 3-bids in our style.
3 in a suit under is a mama-papa 5+ suit with 9-11 or so expected.
3 of their suit ---don't think I have ever done that. Will await some good answers.

I meant the x suit is the suit they opened with. Sorry if this was not clear. So basically i am asking a jump cuebid when pd doubled and RHO passed.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 10:22

There is no standard, and I also think its a very misused bid (for the lack of utility given)

#6 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 10:22

Never specifically discussed this, but it seems like a stopper-ask by general principles.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-July-14, 11:30

We play it as a single-suited game force in a (or the other) major. Also if third hand bids at the 1-level (e.g. 1D dbl 1H 3D - still an unspecified major)
I don't think there is a standard.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 22:51

I strongly suspect that most of my partners, if I made this bid, would have no clue what it meant. But then most of my current partners, when I suggest that we should discuss such things, are not interested.

I probably need some new partners. :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   IVAN CY LO 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-15, 02:09

If X is major, I would think this jump cue is asking for stopper.

If X is minor, splinter and GF in major suit, probably holding 5440 or 5431 or 5530 with short in opener suit.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-15, 03:01

There is no standard meaning that I know of. Most of the sensible meanings have already been mentioned but one that has not come up yet is differentiating between 4 and 5 card jumps; so (1) - X - (P) - 3 could be played as extras with 5+ spades. Some players even give up a 3 advance for this so it has to be sound. Of course, this does not work if their suit is spades and if their suit were a minor, you would have to choose which major was shown. It is probably not even worth the effort to even define the bid for non-expert partnerships. As Adam wrote, it will often be defined as a stopper-ask just by general meta-rules.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-17, 07:33

I'd think it's a stopper ask, although I don't think it's good use and moreover I don't think I've ever encountered this auction. Doubler rates to be short in opener's suit, so usually he doesn't have a stopper anyway.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-17, 13:38

I'm pretty sure that Meckwell use (1M) - X - (P) - 3M as a transfer to 3NT. I don't know, but I could see (1m) - X - (P) - 3m as the same. I know Garozzo, in his system Ambra, came up with uses for every bid up to and including 3NT on 1x - (X), so why not just use those same bids?
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-17, 13:52

In standard methods it has no meaning.

#14 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-17, 13:55

View Postchasetb, on 2013-July-17, 13:38, said:

I'm pretty sure that Meckwell use (1M) - X - (P) - 3M as a transfer to 3NT. I don't know, but I could see (1m) - X - (P) - 3m as the same. I know Garozzo, in his system Ambra, came up with uses for every bid up to and including 3NT on 1x - (X), so why not just use those same bids?

Meckwell [and others] play 1D (1M) 3M as a transfer to 3N to put overcaller on lead. Why would you choose to put opener's partner on lead after 1M-X-P?

After 1x - (X) lots of bids are raises of x, it would make no sense to play the same scheme after (1x)-X-(P).

Add me to the chorus of people who haven't discussed the call and wouldn't make it at the table.

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-17, 15:24

Source of tricks bid asking for a stopper. AKJTxx(x) is enough if you live for danger. If the doubler can't bid 3nt, cheapest suit works as we always have a landing spot
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   yunling 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:meteorology

Posted 2013-July-18, 09:23

View Postchasetb, on 2013-July-17, 13:38, said:

As I know, though Garozzo use transfers on 2x or higher bids, he wrote that 3x-1 shows a GF balanced hand, which (I think) is just a stopper ask.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users