BBO Discussion Forums: Solving a tie - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Solving a tie In a swiss

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-August-24, 08:25

What are the rules to solve a tie situation? Let's say two teams in a swiss tournament are tied and:

a. They had a match against each other
b. They didn't have a match against each other

I would think that in case (a) the winner of the match should be the winner of the tie. If they're tied there or if (b) happens then the team with the most imps overall should win. What is the official order?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-24, 08:30

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-August-24, 08:25, said:

What are the rules to solve a tie situation? Let's say two teams in a swiss tournament are tied and:

I would think that in case (a) the winner of the match should be the winner of the tie. If they're tied there or if (b) happens then the team with the most imps overall should win. What is the official order?

Depends on your jurisdiction. The EBU's White Book defines the split-tie procedure for their events and when to apply it and in which order the various tie-splitters occur. In general you only split if you have to (money and green points can just be divided between the teams, only a trophy or qualification for another event must be split) and if there is a direct match then that will be one of the higher-precedence tie splitters, but it depends on the exact form of competition.

If you want to know the full gory details I suggest you read up in the White Book (available from the EBU website), but if it's not an EBU tournament then you'll have to check the Conditions of Contest.

#3 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-August-24, 09:27

View Postmjj29, on 2011-August-24, 08:30, said:

..., but if it's not an EBU tournament then you'll have to check the Conditions of Contest.

But expect to be disappointed :(
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-August-24, 10:21

There are a number of jurisdictions which rely on the EBU White book for matters for which they have no regulation themselves. This seems a sensible approach.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#5 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 10:47

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-August-24, 08:25, said:

This varies by jurisdiction. Last time I was involved in a Swiss tie in the ACBL (top 16 advancing to a KO for GNTs) the tiebreak was total VP's of the the teams you played in the second half - presumably intended to discourage the "Swiss gambit", but I never understood why this was more fair than total VP's of all the teams you played.

Total VP's of all the teams you played was the tiebreak in the current Juniors world championship.

In general I think something involving opponent strength is more fair than just using the head-to-head result.

#6 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-August-24, 12:59

Ok, I see now. I thought it was a new thing. I still don't see the logic of breaking a tie between two teams which played a match against each other by looking at something different than that match. But the rules are the rules are the rules.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#7 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 13:41

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-August-24, 12:59, said:

Ok, I see now. I thought it was a new thing. I still don't see the logic of breaking a tie between two teams which played a match against each other by looking at something different than that match. But the rules are the rules are the rules.

I can see head-to-head result being one tiebreaker, but of course you could have a 3-way tie between A, B, and C where A beat B, B beat C, and C beat A.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-24, 17:06

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-August-24, 12:59, said:

I think the rationale may be that more data is better. Breaking the tie based on the results of just one match is not as good as using the results of many matches.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 18:08

I always thought that the norm was to start with the heads-up result; then if still tied (or they didn't play each other) go to performance of the teams each team played. Obviously, the rules are whatever the conditions state. But somehow I thought that is what they usually state.

This could be unfair if a team we met very early never won another match afterward and it was an accidental result of first or second round swiss matching. Only counting teams met in the second half would reduce that effect.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 21:43

It is just so important to have conditions of contest that cover tie splitting properly.

A couple of year ago my team tied for first place in the Northern Victoria GNOT qualifier with the winner getting an airfare subsidy and entry fees for the GNOT Finals at Tweed Heads. Under the Victorian Bridge Association Tournament Regulations, my team would've won the tie split but under the Australian Bridge Federation Tournament Regulations the other team would've won. The GNOT Regulations said that it was up to individual convenors of regional qualifiers to establish their own conditions of contest, but the convenor in this case (who was also a member of other tied team) had not done so. In the handful of regions where conditions of contest were put in place, some referred to the State Body's regulations and some referred to the National Body's regulations. Ultimately it was referred to the ABF for a decison which took almost 2 months and was in favour of the other team so I missed out on the trip.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#11 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 03:41

I understand that the head-to-head is the standard way to split ties, but I have always felt that this is actually unfair.

If team A beat team B, and they finished on equal VPs, then team B will have won more points against other pairs. It seems that the match has almost counted twice, once to give team A enough VPs to tie, and then again to win the split-tie.

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-26, 05:02

View PostAnt590, on 2011-August-26, 03:41, said:

I understand that the head-to-head is the standard way to split ties, but I have always felt that this is actually unfair.

If team A beat team B, and they finished on equal VPs, then team B will have won more points against other pairs. It seems that the match has almost counted twice, once to give team A enough VPs to tie, and then again to win the split-tie.

Indeed in Go, the standard tie breaker is sum of opponents' scores (SOS), and head-to-head is only considered in formats such as round robin. The idea being that two players with the same score may not have had to work equally hard for that score.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 05:40

View PostAnt590, on 2011-August-26, 03:41, said:

On the other hand, following the win team A will have played theoretically stronger opponents than team B.

Personally I prefer the winners of the match between two teams to be used to split a tie. At least that is a contest between the two teams. Failing that, their scores against common opponents.

What I dislike is sum of opponent's scores (SOS). This can lead to the splitting of a tie being based on a match between two teams not involved in the tie, perhaps even at the bottom of the field.

But it probably doesn't make a whole of difference as there will be a large element of luck in any method.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#14 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 05:40

Although a direct match is a common way to split, in tournaants such as the Brighton Teams where you may need to split a tie amongst more than two teams for a place in either of the two finals they use Swiss Points i.e. the results of your opponents. Ever since I won a 4 way split tie I've considered this method to have some merit. :D
I've also played in a Swiss in La Baule where after round 2, in addition to your vp score, you automatically had this amount added and shown on the ranking list round by round which seems to me a good idea.

#15 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 06:21

View Postpaulg, on 2011-August-26, 05:40, said:

On the other hand, following the win team A will have played theoretically stronger opponents than team B.

Does not follow. Team A will be on a higher score than B when assignments for the round immediately after their match are made, but in subsequent rounds B could easily be on a higher score, and facing supposedly stronger opponents, than A. Of course, SOS is a better guide to the strength of each team's opponents than the head-to-head result.

What I dislike is sum of opponent's scores (SOS). This can lead to the splitting of a tie being based on a match between two teams not involved in the tie, perhaps even at the bottom of the field.

The result of a head-to-head tiebreak can also be changed by the result of a match between two other teams if that match introduces other teams into the tie. (A beats B in a tiebreak between A and B does not imply that A beats B in a tiebreak between A,B and C.)

#16 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 08:47

View Postcampboy, on 2011-August-26, 06:21, said:

View Postpaulg, on 2011-August-26, 05:40, said:

The result of a head-to-head tiebreak can also be changed by the result of a match between two other teams if that match introduces other teams into the tie. (A beats B in a tiebreak between A and B does not imply that A beats B in a tiebreak between A,B and C.)

Using a tie break that involves just the matches played by the teams to be split, for example A, B and C, is preferable to one that involves a match between teams not in the tie break, for example, D and E.

In my opinion.

Which is what I said originally.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#17 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 10:31

I don't think your proposed method achieves this. In order to know whether A, B or C wins the tie-break you need to know that D is not involved in the tie -- which depends on the result of the match between D and E.

A tie-break such as net IMPs would have no dependence on results of matches between other teams.

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 10:49

Not so profound expression of the obvious:

In the 3-way tie, if they each played each other, shouldn't it just be considered a round-robin and broken by quotient, like we do every day in the earlier stages of a K.O.? This might have been addressed within some other post, but if so I missed it.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#19 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-August-26, 10:50

I have no idea what is the fairest method.

But I have played in Swiss Teams tournaments where the results were shown in both VPs and total imps. This leads to no ties [with incredibly rare exceptions] and a simple method everyone understands and can see. It seems best to me.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#20 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-27, 02:41

In some chess tournaments that are also played swiss we used to use sum of a players score. That is your score after round 1 + score after rounds 2 + ... + score after round n. This way a team that took "the swiss strategy" is penalized for the expected weaker field, and it doesn't matter as much how your early round opponents end up doing (who, when considering tie breakers of the top teams, will tend to vary between the worst teams and the mediocre teams, and the best teams will be expected to beat them). But the chess tournaments have Win, Lose, Draw scoring so don't have 20, 25, or 30 VP per match to award.

There was a complicated method that involved estimating the results against all the teams as if it were a full round robin (using IMP in other matches and SoS to simulate the full round robin). That seems like it might be fairest, especially for events where you will have played a reasonable percentage of the field.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users