Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Commercial GIB updating

#1 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-21, 16:57

how about importing some of the BBO GIB improvements into an update on the commercial version
which you now handle
1. like bidding improvements
2.flash or bridgevu graphics

#2 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-August-22, 18:06

Perhaps it would be better to address these suggestions to the engineers of GIB:

http://www.gibware.com/

Their contact info is at the bottom of their home page

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-23, 07:01

The problem is: is there really demand for this? Because if there isn't, then all effort they put in this update is a waste of time and money.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think it's worth the effort. There are too many good/better alternatives than GIB, not to mention the fact that people need the commercial version before they can buy an update.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-23, 08:10

so they why is BBO updating it and using it they must have a vested interest in improving it
and BBO sells it

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-23, 11:26

AFAIK, there are no GIB engineers other than BBO's work.

Compare the postal address at the bottom of www.gibware.com with the one at the end of http://bbi.bridgebas...out/index.html.

#6 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-23, 12:03

The people who maintain the CD version of GIB and the the people who maintain the version of GIB that runs on BBO are one and the same.

We do not release updates for the CD version nearly as often as we release updates for the BBO version. The latest latest updates to the CD version are always available as free downloads through www.gibware.com.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#7 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-23, 15:46

yes Fred I am well aware of that, but if you have people who are working on GIB why dont you through them a bone or at least the people who have the commercial version, I think the last update they did was in 2009 and before that it was 2003. It just seem strange they BBO is working on it but GIBWARE isnt it. I thought when you click on their mailing address on their home page its the same address for BBO in Las Vegas.

#8 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-23, 17:01

pigpenz, on 2011-August-23, 15:46, said:

yes Fred I am well aware of that, but if you have people who are working on GIB why dont you through them a bone or at least the people who have the commercial version, I think the last update they did was in 2009 and before that it was 2003. It just seem strange they BBO is working on it but GIBWARE isnt it. I thought when you click on their mailing address on their home page its the same address for BBO in Las Vegas.

New computer programs (or new versions of old computer programs) do not just magically appear out of thin air. The creation and deployment of such programs requires time and effort by programmers (and testers and support staff).

The number of programmer-hours that we have available per day/month/year is a finite number. Meanwhile there are many worthy projects that our programmers could be working on and different users of our software have different opinions pertaining to what projects we *should* be working on. How best to allocate programmer-hours to various projects is a difficult and ongoing problem that I am certainly not claiming we are great at solving. We try to do the best we can.

For whatever it's worth, our judgment in the past has suggested that it is not a good use of our programmers' time (relatively speaking) to frequently update the CD version of GIB. If and when the time comes that we start to get a lot of requests like yours, or if and when the time comes that we run out of other things to work on, or if and when we come up with an easier/faster way to make improvements to GIB, we may revisit our policies in this area.

Sorry if you still don't understand, but I can't explain the basic nature of the problem any more clearly than I have above.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#9 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 04:45

i understand its all about money and priorities.
It just seems sort of ironical that sites still try to push
GIB for $79, especially if its dead in the water as the best computer program.
thats all over and out you can close thread.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users