BBO Discussion Forums: What does 4NT in this sequence imply? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does 4NT in this sequence imply?

#1 User is offline   richrf 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-13, 11:26

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and just getting back into bridge after a long hiatus. Playing SAYC, what does the 4NT in this N-S bidding sequence imply? :

(N)1NT - (S)2C - (N)2D - (S)3H - (N)3NT - (S)4NT

Thanks for the help.

Rich

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-13, 11:38

Hi Rich and welcome to the forums :)

I can't see a definition of this 3 bid in SAYC (defined at http://www.acbl.org/.../play/SP3%20(bk)%20single%20pages.pdf). However, most people play 3 as showing 4 hearts and 5 spades, and forcing to game. In that case, opener's 3N shows less than 3 spades and responder's 4NT should be quantitative (around about 16 points with probably 5422).

3 shouldn't really be a slam try with only hearts since in SAYC you can bid 3 directly over 1NT. However, in case it does mean that, I guess 4NT could be either quantitative or keycard for hearts. Personally I am a big fan of quantitative 4NT's so I would say this is what we have on our hands.

On a more general note, this seems to be a classical quantitative situation: responder was showing whatever it was he was trying to show, but opener said "no thanks pard let's play 3NT", then responder says "well OK but maybe we could play 6NT? I have some serious extras here". This kind of bidding occurs a lot when one guy bids 3NT to play and the other bids 4NT. Indeed many people teach the absolute rule "if one player bids 3NT to play, 4NT is always quantitative!", which I think is dead on.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-August-13, 11:41

If I might restate the auction for clarity:

1N-2C
2D-3H (whichever you have agreed (4-5 or 5-4 in majors)
3N-4N

Agree with Gwnn that it should be quantitative in NT. Opener has already rejected playing the focus major(s).
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-13, 11:41

this should be quantitative. Most likely North is 3-2 in the majors and South is 4-5.

If South is 4-6 in the majors and want to be in slam if we have enough aces then unfortunately
1NT-2
2-2*
is not forcing. So it is a little tricky. Maybe
1NT-2
2-4*
is Gerber?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-13, 11:46

I've had a partner who surprised me by saying that there are 6 different ways to show a heart one-suiter that is at least interested in game opposite a standard strong NT:

1NT-2
2-3

1NT-3
1NT-4

and, surprising me slightly:

1NT-2
2-3

He then asked me what I would like each of these bids to mean (he liked to make subtle distinction with regards to suit quality). So I think there is at least some people who use this sequence as a one-suiter. I don't know how common it is.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-August-13, 11:56

helene_t, on 2011-August-13, 11:41, said:

this should be quantitative. Most likely North is 3-2 in the majors and South is 4-5.

If South is 4-6 in the majors and want to be in slam if we have enough aces then unfortunately
1NT-2
2-2*
is not forcing. So it is a little tricky. Maybe
1NT-2
2-4*
is Gerber?

There are many options with 4-6.

Delay Texas without slam interest
OP auction followed by 4M (the six-bagger) as mild slam try for that major in the 6-2 fit
OP auction, then 4m, implying 4-6, slammish and a control. After that, RKC for the major.
op auction, then 4 other major as Kickback or "underwood"?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   richrf 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-13, 13:46

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the replies. I shared you answers with my partners. They were all extremely helpful. Many thanks.

Rich

#8 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-14, 01:46

Almost regardless of what 3H showed, 4NT in this auction is quantitative invite to slam.

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-16, 08:19

For me Smolen is standard (here 3 showing GF with 4 and 5+). After the signoff, responder can retransfer to if he has 6 of them, or bid a minor naturally. He didn't do any of this, so I'd say he has a 5=4=2=2 exactly. 4NT is abused by many bridgeplayers as blackwood, and this is one of those situations. This is better played as quantitative, but for many intermediate players it would be blacky.

At first sight, I'd say responder has a 5=4=2=2 with around 16HCP.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users