• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An accusation

#21 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-02, 13:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-September-02, 07:58, said:

This reminds me of a situation in a large tournament in the UK. A group of Finnish tourists used to come over to play, and one pair kept on jabbering on in Finnish after looking at their cards, I had no idea if they were talking about lunch or saying "ace to four ...". I spoke to the director while taking a toilet break, and he had a word with them between rounds to explain why they shouldn't be doing this.

I think you should have a proper word with the accuser between rounds, pointing out to them that they should have called the director and said what they wanted to say in the director's presence. In a club situation I wouldn't penalise the accuser unless it was not the first time. I would then have a word with the accused to explain why this placement is not a good idea.

I wouldn't take it further in either case unless the same thing happened again and there was no good reason for it (medical issue meaning cards difficult to hold etc).

"...pointing out to them that they should have called the director and said what they wanted to say in the director's presence"

I'm not sure I agree with this. There have been very rare occasions where I felt something "strange" going on and approached the director between rounds. In all these cases the director was able to explain to me why my thoughts were invalid. Making this a private conversation between the director and me avoided a potentially nasty situation.

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-September-02, 13:24

View PostRMB1, on 2011-September-02, 10:37, said:

It not a bridge skill but a life skill: in this sort of position, an immediate apology works wonders.

Unfortunately, the circumstances that lead to the outburst tend to make it hard for them to realize their mistake immediately. It's only after time for calm reflection that you realize how inapproprate your comment was.

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-02, 15:26

View Postrichlp, on 2011-September-02, 13:13, said:

"...pointing out to them that they should have called the director and said what they wanted to say in the director's presence"

I'm not sure I agree with this. There have been very rare occasions where I felt something "strange" going on and approached the director between rounds. In all these cases the director was able to explain to me why my thoughts were invalid. Making this a private conversation between the director and me avoided a potentially nasty situation.

I didn't phrase that very well, what I meant was that if you wanted to say it in front of the opponents, you should say it in front of the director as well. I have no problem as per the first part of the post with approaching the director discretely.

#24 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-02, 16:36

View Postbarmar, on 2011-September-02, 13:24, said:

Unfortunately, the circumstances that lead to the outburst tend to make it hard for them to realize their mistake immediately. It's only after time for calm reflection that you realize how inapproprate your comment was.

Except for the part where he said, "I realized immediately...". What is difficult for us mere humans is for us to apologize immediately, though we know we should.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users